PDA

View Full Version : Alport Castle Derbyshire

Kingjonesy
07-01-2014, 09:46 PM
Hi,

Has anyone ever camped up at Alport near the small tarn? I've never been there, only seen it from a far. Looks like it might be a good spot for my winter wild camp in a couple of weeks.

Oh and I made my first ever paracord bracelet today!!

Cheers

Rich

Silverback
07-01-2014, 09:51 PM
dragged a few bedraggled, wet and hypothermic folks out of the Alport Valley its not to be underestimated its a MR call out hotspot

Kingjonesy
07-01-2014, 10:20 PM
Thanks Sapper, sounds right up my street!

Always picked the tricky ones, call me stupid but wilder the better I say.

Silverback
07-01-2014, 10:25 PM
Thanks Sapper, sounds right up my street!

Always picked the tricky ones, call me stupid but wilder the better I say.

Spare a thought for the folk that may have to come out and get you one day then...oh and watch the River Alport if its in spate it WILL wash you away

Kingjonesy
07-01-2014, 10:33 PM
Yes, upmost respect for MR and the volunteers that keep it going.

I've pulled myself out of a few scrapes over the years, fortunately never had to call them. Touch wood, I never will.

Kingjonesy
07-01-2014, 10:46 PM
I was walking west from The Snake Inn along Snake Path winter 2011. Got about just over half way along when the mother of all storms rolled over and bucketed it down. Within a few minutes every little stream we'd hopped over on the way had swollen and was now a raging torrent!! Can't remember the name of the stream that runs below Kinders north edge, but it turned into brown fast flowing rapids. Had a mare gettig out, had to head high to find a narrow part to each stream coming off the moors then drop back down out of the fork lightening. Took about 4 hours to get back to the Snake Inn. If we'd slipped in at any point there would have been absolutely no chance of getting out.

Silverback
07-01-2014, 11:02 PM
Remember it well had a mare myself looking for a missing/lost walker on Bleaklow may very well have been the same day.