PDA

View Full Version : Making camp in the rain

comanighttrain
02-02-2011, 01:16 PM
So you are out for a donder when lo and behold the sky, as it so often does here, opens up. You have your usual kit and the rain is not for letting up. It's getting to time for turning in - what do you do?

Pick your terrain... and since I'm a highlander ill go for hilly and chilly!

I'd usually try and find a windbreak (often offered by the terrain), set up my tarp so that it is low profile (doesnt catch the wind) using rocks as a weight (on the inside) and pinning it down. Put down my poncho come groundsheet, bivi and bag. Got to be careful not to ruin your tarp with the rocks but at the same time you dont want the whole lot to take off should the wind direction change or something...

Martin
02-02-2011, 01:25 PM
This is a pretty simple question for me. I use a Terra Nova Laser tent which has the benefit of pitching inner and outer together so, I will pick a decent, flat spot and get the tent pitched which takes five minutes max. Then crawl inside to get my kit organised. I'd prefer to do this outside but if it's chucking it down I'll make do as there's enough room inside the porch for boots rucksack etc etc.

Martin

fish
02-02-2011, 05:00 PM
i hate rain! its a nightmare for camping.

comanighttrain
02-02-2011, 05:59 PM
i hate rain! its a nightmare for camping.

fact of life in Scotland im afraid...particularly in the highlands.

Alba Albion
21-02-2011, 10:15 PM
Whenever someone mentions the rain I always think back to 'The Book of the Bivvy'. Ronald Turnbull (the author) was asked the question as he travelled around Scotland with not much more than a bivvy bag. "What do you do when it rains?" The answer makes me laugh every time. :-)

Marvell
02-03-2011, 04:38 PM
Take the tarp and cord out of the top pocket of the rucksack and throw that up. Now make a brew :)

Fletching
02-03-2011, 09:42 PM
Might make me a bit strange (what, just this?), but I like staring out from under a tarp or a tent when it's raining. Sound, smell, everything and then all the wildlife comes back out again when it stops and everything's clean (a.k.a.muddy). :)

paul standley
03-03-2011, 10:25 PM
Might make me a bit strange (what, just this?), but I like staring out from under a tarp or a tent when it's raining. Sound, smell, everything and then all the wildlife comes back out again when it stops and everything's clean (a.k.a.muddy). :)

Yep - with you on that one Steve, got a 'feel' about it that's hard to put your finger on...

comanighttrain
04-03-2011, 07:47 AM
I believe it is the "im glad i have shelter and am not getting wet" feel....

MikeWilkinson
04-03-2011, 08:17 AM
I'm with Paul and Steve on this one, Tarp up either as a mini tipi or low profile 'hootchie' on the hillside, rig it as a hammock tarp if the terrain allows - then sit back and watch the storm by either in my hammock or on my bivi bag. Maybe get a nice brew on.

Fletching
04-03-2011, 09:36 AM
This is where a good poncho comes in handy. I have the DD one which converts to a tarp. Bit big for me though, as I look like a small green mountain when wearing it.

comanighttrain
04-03-2011, 09:47 AM
Ahh yeah im trying thast this weekend with my swedish army tarp... bringing the storm shelter too since the weather report keeps fluctuating between idyllic scottish spring and tempest.