PDA

View Full Version : Is walking 25 miles across the peak district in 1 day realistic?

Law
18-01-2014, 03:30 PM
Im writing a fantasy novel and the characters are walking across country, its pretty much the terrain you find at the peaks.. would 25 miles be a realistic distance to travel in 1 day over such terrain?

f0rm4t
18-01-2014, 03:33 PM
Im writing a fantasy novel and the characters are walking across country, its pretty much the terrain you find at the peaks.. would 25 miles be a realistic distance to travel in 1 day over such terrain?

For joe average? No, not really mate.
If he's a very experienced hiker then yeah.

Joe average ...10 - 15 tops.

Are we talking fitness ability, or theoretical distance over the course of the day.

fish
18-01-2014, 04:02 PM
if your on selection maybe! lol

Law
18-01-2014, 04:06 PM
Thanks, how about walking that distance over flat land, for someone of relatively good fitness?

f0rm4t
18-01-2014, 04:14 PM
Thanks, how about walking that distance over flat land, for someone of relatively good fitness?

It's basically walking a marathon. I hike quite a lot and will be done after 15 miles on a multi-day hike. But I'll have a 40lb pack on. And I'm a big lad. Has your man got a pack? Fitness, terrain, weather, pack weight etc etc
Just try and apply common sense to the figures above taking into consideration all your environment variables.

Law
18-01-2014, 04:25 PM
No that's fine got the information I need thanks.

FishyFolk
18-01-2014, 04:41 PM
The requirement for the Norwegian armed forces marching badge, is a hike covering the distance of 30km (18,6 miles) lugging no less 11kg of kit including rifle. The maximum time allowed to meet the quallification is do do it it in less than 4 hours, 30 minutes. It's done during the recruit period (the first 3 months of training), and even the most out of shape, computer nerdy, fat kids finish it. At the cost of some blisters, cramps etc. You also have to be able to perform normal duties the day after the march to get the badge. The march usually takes place on country roads...a whole day to complete 25 miles sounds luxurious to me, but I am not familiar with the terrain in question.

For the effort you get a nice diploma and a pin to put on your uniform, he he (god I was easily duped)

Edit: I forgot to say that to make it in less than 4:30 hours you have to run at least parts of the way...I ran a km, walked a km etc...Came in at 4:11 :-)
I was not much of an athlete then either...I suffered 3 leg cramps and my feet where a mess.

saxonaxe
18-01-2014, 05:29 PM
" its pretty much the terrain you find at the peaks.."

Cross country, can be rough going up there FishyFolk, course grassland, rocky, boggy in places and lot's of ups and downs...steep ones. ;)

Ferrell freddy
19-01-2014, 07:07 AM
Just before Christmas we were doing 21-27 a day across the highlands and Nevis area with around 60lb of kit. That said all but one of us were commandos, he dropped out after day 1. :happy-clapping: though like many have said, someone experienced, yes entirely possible. Joe public, no. Depends where you fit along that gradient of experience..

Silverback
19-01-2014, 08:13 AM
Many have successfully completed day one of the pennine way from Edale to Crowden a distance of about 22 miles over the most navigationally challenging terrain the Peak has to offer.....a hell of a lot more have dropped out or been rescued

Blood
11-02-2014, 02:19 PM
Yeah I'd say easy doable. I made it round the yorkshire 3 peak challenge in under 10 carrying 35lb for charity last year.

rik_uk3
11-02-2014, 04:05 PM
Average person may well struggle walking 25 miles on a flat surface IMHO; ten or fifteen is doable but up in the peak district, Brecon Beacons etc and many would struggle even with a very light load to cover that. I've covered 20-25 miles in a day hauling @20kg but that was several decades ago when I was young and fit lol.

Silverback
11-02-2014, 06:24 PM
Local MRT runs a challenge event every year...most make the 16 mile big course with lots of time to spare, the original route was 25 miles, a lot failed to finish that one but they did only have 12 hours to do it in

bigzee
11-02-2014, 07:52 PM
I think they'd have to be pretty much fell running to do that time and distance over the moors (and not taking in the views!). They may do it on tarmac, but they'd be at it from dawn to dusk, in summer and limping from the blisters after about mile 15.

Silverback
11-02-2014, 08:08 PM
I think they'd have to be pretty much fell running to do that time and distance over the moors (and not taking in the views!). They may do it on tarmac, but they'd be at it from dawn to dusk, in summer and limping from the blisters after about mile 15.

They do it every year...first finishers coming in at the 3/4 hour mark (fell runners) but most folks coming in at 1500 hrs after a 0800 start....member of this forum did it with his daughter...who was 11 at the time...the youngest finisher was 8 thats for the slimmed down 16 mile route - and they must have a minimum kit carry or they arent allowed to enter the high moorland route

Martin
12-02-2014, 08:37 AM
Simple maths says 40km at 4km/hour equals 10 hours. Allow ten mins per hour for breaks and you come up with just under 12 hours to do 25 miles. For an experienced walker with decent weather conditions it's not going to be a problem.

Martin

Adam Savage
12-02-2014, 08:39 AM
I'd say it was doable for a fit person, but you wouldn't have time to take in the surroundings, and it won't be enjoyable. If you're on your own it will be 10 times harder too. It's always easier (and a lot safer) to have someone else there.

f0rm4t
12-02-2014, 08:58 AM
IMHO, Like everything, it's just not as simple as saying yes it's can be done, and no it can't be done.
There are spectrum's of capability and environment variables to consider.
From the clinically obese to a special forces member. From a pleasant partly cloudy day, to driven rain, wind and fog.

I think most will know where they are in the 'capability spectrum', and most would give thought the 'environment variables'. (I say most)

Silverback
12-02-2014, 11:23 AM
Good old Naismith..... Tranter was a bit more on the ball though...Incidentally 25 miles on the map of the dark peak has a habit of turning into 30 on the ground particularly off path when circumnavigating the bogs and going up and down the groughs

Midge_Fodder
23-02-2014, 03:53 PM
It's possible but be realistic, there's no shame in doing it in a couple of stretches.