PDA

View Full Version : First few rounds through my new .22 CZ 455

JEEP
22-01-2014, 07:06 PM
10 .22 rounds in each target, from 15 m w. support

First time ever shooting w. a scope and first time shooting a rifle in 16-17 years.

Tigger004
22-01-2014, 08:56 PM
Good shooting Tex!!!

You have got to be happy with that.

JEEP
22-01-2014, 09:00 PM
I am definitly not complaining :D

jus_young
22-01-2014, 10:03 PM
:happy-clapping:

FishyFolk
23-01-2014, 07:56 AM
Not to bad but I think you are a little hard on the trigger finger, you are pulling.

Now do that at 100 meters, the 22 is certainly able to :-)

alvino78
23-01-2014, 03:32 PM
T^

rawfish111
23-01-2014, 04:47 PM
Now all in the same hole :p

Adam Savage
23-01-2014, 11:33 PM
Now do that at 100 meters, the 22 is certainly able to :-)

I was thinking 15m isn't enormous, but in a woodland environment, it could well be the average distance for engaging the target. Would still like to see how good Jakob is further down range :D

ratcatcher
24-01-2014, 12:49 AM
all my rifles (CZ & 1022) are zero'd at 60mtrs, as .22 if quite a straight trajectory, you can shoot anything bang on the crosshairs from 15m upto 70m ish

FishyFolk
24-01-2014, 04:31 AM
I am used to 30 meters, 100, 200, and 300.

The 30 and 200 was the distiance our G3 rifles in the army was zeroed at. I.e the bullet passed the zero point of the sight line in it's trajectory at 30 and 200 meters. We only had iron sights (well, H&K's dioptre sight is very good). So the firing range in the Barracks was 30 meter for short range practice.

100 metrs is the range I was hooting at as an 11 year old recruit sharp shooter. And 300 meter was the longest distance in the Norwegian standard rifle marksmanship sport.

So thats the distances I am used to so Ia m sticking with them for hunting rifles as well...that said, have not fired a shot since my last stint with the army in 2000

Adam Savage
24-01-2014, 09:58 AM
30 and 200 was the distiance our G3 rifles in the army was zeroed at. I.e the bullet passed the zero point of the sight line in it's trajectory at 30 and 200 meters. We only had iron sights (well, H&K's dioptre sight is very good). So the firing range in the Barracks was 30 meter for short range practice.

300m is the same zero range in the British army too. The small open sight on the top of the SUSAT was set to this too, as this is the average engagement range for combat.
Combat range and hunting range can vary quite a bit though lol. Many woodlands wouldn't even have a visibility at that sort of range, but out on the tundra you'll probably get that on a clear day.

Ratcatcher makes a good point about the trajectory. .22 is possibly the most forgiving calibre when it comes to range, other than the .177, but they're less common unless you go for an air rifle :)

FishyFolk
24-01-2014, 11:06 AM
300m is the same zero range in the British army too. The small open sight on the top of the SUSAT was set to this too, as this is the average engagement range for combat.
Combat range and hunting range can vary quite a bit though lol. Many woodlands wouldn't even have a visibility at that sort of range, but out on the tundra you'll probably get that on a clear day.

Ratcatcher makes a good point about the trajectory. .22 is possibly the most forgiving calibre when it comes to range, other than the .177, but they're less common unless you go for an air rifle :)

300 meters was for civilian sharp shooting. Our battle rifles was zeroed at 200 meters, with a short range zero at 30 meters :-)

Most hunting occurs at less than 100 meters, most at much shorter range. Around here that is big game like moose. However in the mountains the reindeer hunters shoot at 50-150 meters. But that is open landscape, no trees.
But if you ever find yourself in the hills during the annual reindeer season, for the love of god, do NOT pick up the reindeer antler you find on the ground and strap it to the top of your Bergen... :zombie-fighting:
Accidents have happened that way :-)

The smallest game that it is common to hunt with rifles here are roe deer. But for those many prefer a shotgun as its such close range. The rifle hunters mainly use a .223 or .222 for those.

rabits are in shot gun country here. As we can only hunt as the law says: animals up to a rabbits size but not rabbits themselves" with a 22LR.

The only small game we have a tradition for hunting with a .22 is the winter hunting for mountain grouse. Air rifles are illegal for any form of hunting in Norway, as only gun powder weapons are allowed in hunting.

So mostly my .22 was used for target practice...and the ranges here are all 100 meter ranges...I do not rembere now where the short range zero was on my .22 (Bajkal Toz 17)

Adam Savage
24-01-2014, 11:26 AM
Interesting.

Most hunters prefer .308 for deer over here. Like you say, rabbit is about the limit for .22, due to lack of kinetic energy, and over penetration.

I've never fired on a civilian range with a rifle, only a shotgun. The only rifles I ever fired were in the forces (.22 indoor range, full bore on field range), or air rifles.
Luckily we are able to hunt small quarry with air weapons over here. Probably because there is little open space, and less people can be trusted with firearms, due to not being brought up around them.

rawfish111
24-01-2014, 12:17 PM
.17 HMR is gaining popularity too it's a smaller bullet than the .22 but much faster and not as prone to ricochet also expanding ammunition does not require special dispensation on the licence.

I will not enter the debate about people being trusted around firearms as I think that was an oversimplification Adam and also pretty wide of the mark to be honest but a debate way :off-topic: for here.

Suffice to say that a disarmed population who are unaware of what their rights and responsibilities actually are, is much easier to pacify when TSHTF.

FishyFolk
24-01-2014, 01:48 PM
Interesting.

Most hunters prefer .308 for deer over here. Like you say, rabbit is about the limit for .22, due to lack of kinetic energy, and over penetration.

I've never fired on a civilian range with a rifle, only a shotgun. The only rifles I ever fired were in the forces (.22 indoor range, full bore on field range), or air rifles.
Luckily we are able to hunt small quarry with air weapons over here. Probably because there is little open space, and less people can be trusted with firearms, due to not being brought up around them.

Roe deer are very small. For "regular" deer 6,5x55 or 308 is more normal.

midas
24-01-2014, 02:05 PM
Perfer a .270,or a .300 win mag,.308,(7.62) and .223,can present some problems when travelling to other countries,to hunt.Zero all my rifles at 200yds.ie,+1.5"@100yds.
When on the rifle range.just wind in the adjustments,depending on range and wind conditions.

Adam Savage
24-01-2014, 02:13 PM
I will not enter the debate about people being trusted around firearms as I think that was an oversimplification Adam and also pretty wide of the mark to be honest but a debate way :off-topic: for here.

I'm not so sure. Unfortunately we have less and less open (safe) land for novices to shoot on, and ever increasing population of...shall we say "less desirable people". It wouldn't be long before (even more of) the wrong people gained access to firearms, and greatly increased risks of accidents/disagreements between them, on the little land available.
You're right though my friend, it's a debate that is probably best left for another time. T^

mike
26-01-2014, 06:03 PM
I put a scope on my Webley just over a year ago and it hasn't been out of the case. No I can't explain it, hope you've inspired me to get out there Jeep. Can't promise to post pics tho', unless they're brill obviously.