PDA

View Full Version : Going for a little bimble

jus_young
22-01-2014, 10:30 PM
A couple of us going for a little overnight bimble on the North Devon Coast this weekend, 25th/26th if anyone is up for it. Nothing strenuous, only a short walk to find the woods then pitching up.

GlenM
22-01-2014, 10:36 PM
I might be able to sneak an overnighter in Jus, where you going? I can't walk too far, I still got this ITBS in my right knee which packs up around 4 miles.

Glen

jus_young
22-01-2014, 10:55 PM
Walking out from Clovelly, probably only about two miles on the coast path and pitching up in a local woods next to a small bay. Couldn't get much closer to the border really Glen

Marvell
23-01-2014, 08:26 AM
Bring my cup thing and chair :-)

GlenM
23-01-2014, 10:41 AM
Working on it, I'll let you know.

Glen

Ferrell freddy
23-01-2014, 11:07 AM
Definitely on it! May be bringing one of the lads from work too, he'll be in a tent though. Fingers crossed this weather holds out, a little blowy but generally nice :)

jus_young
23-01-2014, 12:38 PM
Bring my cup thing and chair :-)

Doubt I will be going anywhere near my lockup to pick anything up.

Ferrell freddy
24-01-2014, 02:10 PM
Anymore details Jus? I'm about to start packing kit and certainly packing for a damp one! Is there a meeting place time etc? Anyone need to do a car share/lift?

jus_young
24-01-2014, 06:22 PM
Went out there today! Soon as I get back from Karate I will get some details noted down

Ferrell freddy
24-01-2014, 06:26 PM
Awesome!

jus_young
24-01-2014, 07:47 PM
Came across this

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/25/uga4ajeb.jpg

Which lead to this

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/25/atymesez.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/25/5ysyvu2u.jpg

It's rather wet out there and I disturbed about 10 folks with shotguns blasting the pheasants!

It looks a lovely spot but the bay has been pretty beaten up. Finding a suitable spot for ground dwelling is the hardest part due to the wet stuff but I'm sure we will be fine. Wood will also be an issue so make sure a stove is packed for your food.

Saturday looks pretty good, it is Sunday that looks bad. Not bothered though, just adds to the fun! Thinking of meeting in Clovelly Estate car park about 10 if that's ok. Not sure what's happening with Glen though, can make it a bit later if needs be as time isn't an issue with only a short walk.

I will be the bloke in the really camouflaged white van that looks like a pile of mud!

Oh, and don't forget a little drink for the evening...

Scott
24-01-2014, 08:01 PM
Have fun but be careful the weather's not looking great. Take loads of pictures.

GlenM
24-01-2014, 08:41 PM
Hi Guys, I'm gonna have to cry off I'm afraid, shame as your pictures look great.
Have a good one, be mindful of the wind and I'll see you Jus at JP's on the 8th.

Glen

Ferrell freddy
24-01-2014, 09:09 PM
Jus do you have a map image or postcode for the car park? See you there!

jus_young
24-01-2014, 10:20 PM
EX39 5TA is the postcode. My Internet has gone down now so I can't do much other than what my phone will allow.

Ferrell freddy
25-01-2014, 07:35 AM
Looking forward to it!

jus_young
25-01-2014, 07:47 AM
Internets back!. Glad you got the post, just popping into Tesco then on my way

Ferrell freddy
25-01-2014, 08:06 AM
Righto, I may be a little late, overlooked a few packing issues!

jus_young
26-01-2014, 09:12 PM
Well it did end up a little wet and windy!

Learnt a few things this weekend -

1) Ferrell Freddy, despite his name, is a very nice chap. Cheers Steve, nice little wander and good to meet you. Hope all goes well in your new posting and will catch up soon no doubt.

2) Careful when testing if the hammock is secure as you may well end up on your backside :ashamed:

3) When checking places out for a stealth camp, do bear in mind that you may get a group of people in very expensive 4x4's driving around through the woods blasting the living daylights out of pheasants.

4) Using a NeoAir sleep mat in the hammock does not work well when using a Snugpak top quilt. You WILL get cold spots down your sides, end up with an unstable hammock and wake up laying in a pool of water where your breath condenses on the inside of the hammock.

5) DD 3x3 tarps are just the best for providing a good sleeping area as well as somewhere to cook under when its tipping in down with rain. I knew this before but it was nice to be reassured that my choice was a good one.

6) Trying to be clever by wearing your snow boots knowing what weather is coming is always doomed to fail. Expect to finish your walk with various sized blisters all over you feet.

7) Vesta Beef Risotto is never as tasty as you once remembered.

Ferrell freddy
27-01-2014, 08:14 AM
8) As I thought Hennessy Hammocks tarp is not big enough for all the above! Though it does bead well and the asymmetric shape works well with the water catcher!

9) A momentary lapse of concentration almost put an end to the whole night! Sheath knife before snapping wood over knee!

10) My first aid kit although sufficient could do with beefing up.

11) Travel lighter, I'm not at work, there will be no kit inspection, take only what you need, find/construct the rest..

All in all a cold, wet but enjoyable jaunt!

jus_young
27-01-2014, 05:53 PM
12) I am unfit when out with some folks but really unfit when out with others. On this occasion it was the latter.

Marvell
27-01-2014, 11:10 PM
Ah, The Cave as it's know.

Rasputin
28-01-2014, 11:15 AM
7) Vesta Beef Risotto is never as tasty as you once remembered. Aint that the truth, T^