PDA

View Full Version : Slingshots

NorthernYeti
01-02-2014, 10:13 AM
Just wondering who here hunts with one or keeps a catty in there kit

midas
01-02-2014, 12:09 PM
Ive always got one in the jeep,n a bag of marbles.Can have a lot of low profile fun with a "catti".

FishyFolk
01-02-2014, 01:16 PM
keep one with my kit, but can't hit a barn wall with it if I was standing inside it. I need to get one of you Island dwellers over to the right side of the drink to teach me how.
Anyway, it's super illegal to hunt with catapults here, and importing one carries a fine of 400£...

But home made ones are allowed.

midas
01-02-2014, 01:35 PM
keep one with my kit, but can't hit a barn wall with it if I was standing inside it. I need to get one of you Island dwellers over to the right side of the drink to teach me how.
Anyway, it's super illegal to hunt with catapults here, and importing one carries a fine of 400£...

But home made ones are allowed.
Strange when you are allowed semi auto rifles and pistols.and retain your service rifle.I remember when in Underlean,just outside OSLO,some 20 years ago.Putting my outdoor coat in a cupboard.only to find it full of rifles,Grandads bolt action Krag I think,n couple of more modern semi autos,loaded mags n webbing belonging to dad n the sons.

NorthernYeti
01-02-2014, 01:56 PM
slingshots are illigal in norway?!!? wtf :shocked: theres a few methods for em but best is to try the wrist flick method and try using therraband for elastics they really make a diffrence

midas
01-02-2014, 02:52 PM
There are some good tutorials on you-tube.

FishyFolk
01-02-2014, 03:29 PM
Strange when you are allowed semi auto rifles and pistols.and retain your service rifle.I remember when in Underlean,just outside OSLO,some 20 years ago.Putting my outdoor coat in a cupboard.only to find it full of rifles,Grandads bolt action Krag I think,n couple of more modern semi autos,loaded mags n webbing belonging to dad n the sons.

dad n the sons where probably members of the Home guard.

Anyway what is illegal is to import a slingshot/catapult. But home made ones are perfectly legal. But the only hunting wepons that are legal in Norway for hunting, are those that fire a gun powder driven projectile. I.e rifles and shotguns.

A semi auto rifle is no more dangerous than a bolt action, so if one is legal, it's simply not logical to ban the other...but they are talking about it.

FishyFolk
01-02-2014, 03:31 PM
My trouble at aiming is partly due to that I can't see where the ball goes if I do not hit the target. SO I can't adjust my fire accordingly. I have no clue if I goe high, low, left or right.

So I have started palying with "David vs Goliath" type slings instead. Very funny, just a tad more dangerous for myself and everyone standing behind me :-)

SteveW
01-02-2014, 05:58 PM
I have one in almost every bag, car and coat. I make them myself from Theraband and natural forks, great fun when you are bored and with some 10/12mm lead balls very effective.

Peaks
03-02-2014, 06:07 PM
I generally have one on me....
as said previously - you can have a lot of low profile fun....

FishyFolk - use a catchbox until you get proficient. Lots of info on either of these sites about how to make a catchbox and lots of other catty info

http://slingshot-shooting.de/

http://slingshotforum.com/

Delburn
05-03-2014, 10:08 PM
Ive got one and its been on my mind to get some practice in with it.

shack
09-03-2014, 08:35 PM
I;ve got a black widow but never had much success with it (target only, not going 'live' till I'm any good) might check out youtube if there is any help out there.

midas
09-03-2014, 08:50 PM
I;ve got a black widow but never had much success with it (target only, not going 'live' till I'm any good) might check out youtube if there is any help out there.

Plenty of hints n tips on YOU-TUBE.

rawfish111
09-03-2014, 09:33 PM
Not used a slingshot for years. Thinking my only chance of making a kill would be if I used them little black Russian grenades as ammo :)

Sylvanbilly
10-03-2014, 11:31 AM
Never hunted with one, but do plink with them , I also make my own,

bigpaul
10-03-2014, 12:06 PM
look on youtube under "slingbows".

NorthernYeti
10-03-2014, 01:10 PM
so who uses flats *theraband* v rounds?

Sylvanbilly
10-03-2014, 01:12 PM
Because 4 of my cattys are for tubes, I used red tube band, but have modded one to use Thera band, and I must say I like it better, if I could get some Thera band in the tube I would give that a go

shack
10-03-2014, 02:02 PM
How accurate and lethal could they be at say 20'? I'd prob still sleep easy if winged a rat, but things I like to eat I'd want a clean kill.

NorthernYeti
10-03-2014, 02:22 PM
pretty accurate i guess! depending on the band setup they tend to chrony in at around 18ftlb and 45ftlb
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzT9sAm9X2Q they can drop rabbits at 50 yards from expirence

shack
11-03-2014, 09:57 AM
crumbs, something I will need to revisit methinks. I like the portability and thinking of the planet has anyone tried pea shingle rather than filling the woods and fields with ball bearings or marbles?

NorthernYeti
11-03-2014, 11:20 AM
i use pea gravel from the garden works well but just pick the odduns out

midas
11-03-2014, 07:26 PM
i use pea gravel from the garden works well but just pick the odduns out

The projectile n it ballistics,are most important!n to get a consistant trejectory,using identical projectiles gives one the best help possible."pea gavel just isnt as good as Balls n Marbles."
Also a strike on a rabbit/pigeon,is much more likely to kill by Hydraulic shock!than a lucky strike with a stone/gravel!!!

shack
11-03-2014, 07:43 PM
yep, that all makes sense and the same principle of dispatch as my old Blunt heads when I used to get out and about with by bent stick:)

I take your point about consistency, might be fun to try, having said that I do have some proper ball bearings (might even have a picture of a rat on the lid if memory serves) and I don't have any pea gravel/ shingle

midas
11-03-2014, 08:47 PM
yep, that all makes sense and the same principle of dispatch as my old Blunt heads when I used to get out and about with by bent stick:)

I take your point about consistency, might be fun to try, having said that I do have some proper ball bearings (might even have a picture of a rat on the lid if memory serves) and I don't have any pea gravel/ shingle
My Cross bow,shoots 8mm,steel Balls,as well as "Bolts."But its not as portable as a "CATTI".Used to have some horn blunts in the 50's,used to be good for squirrels.and you didnt have the problem with arrows sticking in the trees.

Peaks
12-03-2014, 01:02 PM
Thera - tube is easily available.

Cattys kill by blunt force trauma not by hydraulic shock. Thats why the mass/weight of the ammo is critical for hunting.

Lots of previous posts on the forum about hunting with cattys +on the Slingshot Forum http://slingshotforum.com/

Sylvanbilly
12-03-2014, 09:01 PM
looking at getting some thera tube for my home made cattys
anyone know of a good source?

Peaks
12-03-2014, 09:18 PM
Try here for thera-tubes www.amazon.co.uk/Theraband-Thera-Band-Resistive-Exercise-Tubing/dp/B000KGOTRY

This might be of interest too http://slingshotforum.com/topic/39-thera-band-and-tube-resistance-elongation-chart/

midas
12-03-2014, 09:25 PM
Thera - tube is easily available.

Cattys kill by blunt force trauma not by hydraulic shock. Thats why the mass/weight of the ammo is critical for hunting.

Hydrostatic or Hydraulic Shock describes the observation that a penetrating projectile can produce remote wounding and incapacitating effects in their liquid filled tissue,in addition to local effects on tissue caused by a direct impact!

janso
13-03-2014, 06:25 AM
Good stuff... what's the best size bb to use with catties??

Sylvanbilly
13-03-2014, 07:11 AM
I use two types, stainless steel balls from eBay at 9.5mm (3/8") and I have a lead cast which I think is a No 12.
Should of got the No 10 I think,
I Buy the balls in bulk it's cheaper

midas
13-03-2014, 11:05 AM
I use .451,cast lead balls,as I have a LEE mould ,for my Muzzle loading pistols,but .38,would prob be better,there is also bags of marbles,often for a pound,(pocket money section).

Mujician
22-08-2014, 08:18 PM
I am rubbish at aiming with catapults, but I love them! I like making them too. Out of natural forks mostly but I've had a go at plywood catapults too. I have a few designs although my saw and router aren't very good. I make ammo from a 12mm mould. I have loads of lead. I'm going to get making up some goodies soon. I have an oak natural to finish that I love very much! Just not sure what elastic to put on the top.

Chubbs
22-08-2014, 08:41 PM
I think most catapult makers use Therabands. They come in different colours and thickness, and are readily available in shops and online.

Check out the vids on Youtube, there are loads of them.

You can get Theraband here.

http://www.hampsteadosteopathy.com/Thera-Bands.html

You will more than probably be able to get them cheaper somewhere else but it gives you an idea.

The light one is obviously an easy stretch one and they go up in strength.

Cheers Neil.

Mujician
22-08-2014, 08:47 PM
What I meant was I didn't know how I should band this particular catapult. I have some Thera band and also some green dub dub. If I go for the tube I'll need to find some leather to make tabs to attach it it to. Although I think that will look quite smart. I'll get on it soon and post a picture.

Chubbs
22-08-2014, 09:53 PM
Nice one. Look forward to the pics.