PDA

View Full Version : Survival "Guide"

KieranBroadfield
12-02-2014, 03:49 AM
Hi Guys,

I hope I am not breaking any rules by posting this here, as I do sell a couple of items on my website..

However, I am currently in the middle of putting together a little Survival Pocket Book/Guide, which I will be selling to raise money for Cancer Research! (all profits will be going to Cancer Research).

I am hoping for as much help as possible in making the little pocket book, and always looking for idea's from people of what I could include in there.

If you have a look on my website, as in my signature, it's all explained.

I'm not aiming to make money from this at all, doing it purely for a good cause, so any help at all would be appreciated so much!

Kieran!

David_JAFO
12-02-2014, 12:22 PM
hello,
T^
Regards
David

saxonaxe
12-02-2014, 01:45 PM
I know that discussion of survival topics can involve some people getting a bit overheated, so this is purely my opinion, and probably shared by few others, and I know people make a living out of selling/promoting 'survival in the uk but...

Within my memory, I've never heard of anyone in the uk having to 'survive' for any length of time using many of the items suggested by 'experts' as contents of a survival kit. Fishing kit? Someone missing in the uk has had to survive by catching fish? Someone starving has in desperation had to use fishing line/hooks to trap game? I'd be interested to know of any such instances. I'm not talking about missing people being found hungry, I'm talking about people having to fish/trap to survive, to literally stay alive..
UK survival kits could truthfully be called " Outdoor pursuits emergency kits" Doesn't sound so dramatic I suppose but realistically anyone who is uninjured, still mobile and capable of walking in a straight line for 10 miles is almost certainly either going to come across a farm. a house, a track/road or a McDonalds.

In the wilds of Scotland, Wales and the English (and Cornish..;) ) Moorlands and Fells you'll certainly have to walk a lot further, but you're not looking at days and days of travel involving survival. You'll be hungry, tired and wet but provided you can walk in a staright line you'll come to safety long before you have to start worrying about catching food, making weapons from 'survival' arrow heads (as advertised) etc:

Compass..for walking in straight lines..
Torch..signalling
whistle ^^^^
First aid items...
safety pins...repairs
Length of paracord/string..repairs
Fire lighting kit (more for signalling the MRT/ RAF or keeping warm than cooking)
I'm assuming here anyone in the outdoors is wearing adequate clothing and has at least a folding knife in their pocket when they go out..
It's for emergencies not survival, get rid of the word survival and you can look at what is realistically needed by someone temporarily lost in the uk

New Zealand, I've been there many times. Lost in the Kahurangi National Park or down in the South west in Fiordland..ah! Now you're talking survival kits...proper ones..:)

Rasputin
12-02-2014, 02:16 PM
Absolute agreement on that John, But like you say it sells otherwise useless tins of tack ,possible add to the list, concise first aid and emergency leaflet. KenT^

rik_uk3
12-02-2014, 02:33 PM
Agree John, best use for a baccy tin is to fill it with baccy or sweets (in the UK). They are a bit of fun to put together I suppose.

saxonaxe
12-02-2014, 02:58 PM
" They are a bit of fun to put together I suppose. "

Oh! Yes..:) I'm most definitely all in favour of that too, it's just sometimes I feel that information offered to people who genuinely seek it perhaps because of inexperience, get led to believe that a load of old nonsense in a 'baccy tin will keep them alive. A decent size torch or whistle on a lanyard round their neck to give the Rescue Team a clue where they are, in my opinion are a lot better than condom, fishing kit and scalpels in a tin ( wrapped in tape to keep it waterproof with the lid polished to heliograph friendly aircraft)...;) ;)

midas
12-02-2014, 06:24 PM
Reminds me of the soldier,who when his sarg inspected the contents of his suvival tin,and findind only a pack of cards. said Hows a pack of cards going to help you if you get lost????Well said the squaddie.I'd just sit down n have a game of patience,n before you know it.Some one will tap me on the shoulder !telling me 10 of spades goes on red jack ,jack ontoblack queen.n "I'd ask em the way home"

KieranBroadfield
12-02-2014, 07:05 PM
Seriously though good luck with the book even if in the UK we don't really need such any skills are always good to learn.

Cheers for the replies, and the good luck! I am living in New Zealand at the moment, and the book/guide will be sold in New Zealand! But, as I have family & friends still back in the UK, I will be sending a few copies over there, more so as a novelty item for most of them I suppose.

The information in the book will be based around New Zealands wild animals, wild foods and climate, we've got the glaciers and all sorts here, so I am undecided what stuff to include! I may do two different guides, one for the more moderate rural survival and one for the glaciers and snowy area's. You'd be surprised how many people die each year when out hiking etc in New Zealand, especially in the South Island, from arriving here in September, before Christmas, I had already seen at least 5 deaths of men who were trying to climb Mount Cook without the correct knowledge!

saxonaxe
12-02-2014, 08:58 PM
I think it's only a few months, if that long ago, that a visiting British backpacker went missing for some time in the Kiwi bush and was in a sorry state when found, so a true survival book available there would be of great benefit. I'm amazed though, knowing the Kiwi's great love of the outdoors that there are not books written by experienced local New Zealand Bushmen. Whatever the case I hope your book is a great success. T^

KieranBroadfield
12-02-2014, 09:11 PM
I think it's only a few months, if that long ago, that a visiting British backpacker went missing for some time in the Kiwi bush and was in a sorry state when found, so a true survival book available there would be of great benefit. I'm amazed though, knowing the Kiwi's great love of the outdoors that there are not books written by experienced local New Zealand Bushmen. Whatever the case I hope your book is a great success. T^

yes, not long ago an Englishman was found dead in the south island!

ian c
12-02-2014, 09:40 PM
I agree with Saxonaxe and would say that if anyone going into the countryside should carry a small daysack with some snacks (chocolate bars ect) a waterbottle, a small First Aid Kit and clothing for the time of year, then if they wish to carry a survival kit they can, I myself when out walking have on my person a clasp knife some paracord, bic lighter (mainly for my BAD habit smoking) and keys tissues ect if going further afield I take a small daysack with me.

KieranBroadfield
12-02-2014, 09:47 PM
Any help I can get would be much appreciated!

KieranBroadfield
12-02-2014, 10:49 PM
If you have a look on the homepage of my website, (linked in my signature)

I have a little write up, it'll explain more :)

Fraxinus
13-02-2014, 11:50 AM
I like that opinions are being asked for and the dual purpose of the proposed book T^

In my opinion, survival guides and kits are very personal things, you read them or or take them with you about or for the place you are hoping to enjoy.
I have tried to take with me what is appropriate for the place, but the core skills I have learned from books have been transferable. Something some who holiday outside their own country should do.
I hiked down Samaria Gorge in Crete the year before I lived there with tourists who were kitted out in shorts and flip flops and a bottle of spring water (there are places to refill water bottles from tapped springs en-route, but people were scared to use it as the tour reps had promoted the use of bottled water only!!!) Not the best equipped.

The biggest rule the reps tried to instill was to stay with the trail and the party (you get counted into the gorge and out) I found out a reason why from a friend the following year.

She had lead tourist groups down Samaria several times and always said to stay on the trail when one day a chap went missing, apparently for a comfort break, a huge SAR was undertaken but his body was only recovered that winter when an army training operation found him.
Samaria is about 16KM downhill, temperatures can exceed 40 C, some basic knowledge may of saved him, but then trusting instructions may have too.

Any book should cover the basics: water, navigation, signals for help (inc. mobile phone numbers and SMS), first aid etc and promote listening to or getting advice on ones area of choice.

As a footnote: during summer fires are illegal in Greece, in Samaria camping and open fires are banned during March to October (if memory serves) and the Gorge is also closed to all but military (as i understand it) outside these months, lots of smoke would have been noticed and investigated vigorously.

Good luck with your project Kieran, Rob.

jus_young
13-02-2014, 12:08 PM
Do I really have to remind folks about appropriate content ?

FishyFolk
13-02-2014, 12:21 PM
I know that discussion of survival topics can involve some people getting a bit overheated, so this is purely my opinion, and probably shared by few others, and I know people make a living out of selling/promoting 'survival in the uk but...

Within my memory, I've never heard of anyone in the uk having to 'survive' for any length of time using many of the items suggested by 'experts' as contents of a survival kit. Fishing kit? Someone missing in the uk has had to survive by catching fish? Someone starving has in desperation had to use fishing line/hooks to trap game? I'd be interested to know of any such instances. I'm not talking about missing people being found hungry, I'm talking about people having to fish/trap to survive, to literally stay alive..
UK survival kits could truthfully be called " Outdoor pursuits emergency kits" Doesn't sound so dramatic I suppose but realistically anyone who is uninjured, still mobile and capable of walking in a straight line for 10 miles is almost certainly either going to come across a farm. a house, a track/road or a McDonalds.

In the wilds of Scotland, Wales and the English (and Cornish..;) ) Moorlands and Fells you'll certainly have to walk a lot further, but you're not looking at days and days of travel involving survival. You'll be hungry, tired and wet but provided you can walk in a staright line you'll come to safety long before you have to start worrying about catching food, making weapons from 'survival' arrow heads (as advertised) etc:

Compass..for walking in straight lines..
Torch..signalling
whistle ^^^^
First aid items...
safety pins...repairs
Length of paracord/string..repairs
Fire lighting kit (more for signalling the MRT/ RAF or keeping warm than cooking)
I'm assuming here anyone in the outdoors is wearing adequate clothing and has at least a folding knife in their pocket when they go out..
It's for emergencies not survival, get rid of the word survival and you can look at what is realistically needed by someone temporarily lost in the uk

New Zealand, I've been there many times. Lost in the Kahurangi National Park or down in the South west in Fiordland..ah! Now you're talking survival kits...proper ones..:)

A phone...

FishyFolk
13-02-2014, 12:26 PM
Cheers for the replies, and the good luck! I am living in New Zealand at the moment, and the book/guide will be sold in New Zealand! But, as I have family & friends still back in the UK, I will be sending a few copies over there, more so as a novelty item for most of them I suppose.

The information in the book will be based around New Zealands wild animals, wild foods and climate, we've got the glaciers and all sorts here, so I am undecided what stuff to include! I may do two different guides, one for the more moderate rural survival and one for the glaciers and snowy area's. You'd be surprised how many people die each year when out hiking etc in New Zealand, especially in the South Island, from arriving here in September, before Christmas, I had already seen at least 5 deaths of men who were trying to climb Mount Cook without the correct knowledge!

How many of them starved to death?

KieranBroadfield
13-02-2014, 07:42 PM
How many of them starved to death?

I am unsure how many, but it happens all to regularly

KieranBroadfield
13-02-2014, 07:42 PM
Do I really have to remind folks about appropriate content ?

Have I broke the rules?

Rasputin
13-02-2014, 09:24 PM
Have I broke the rules?

not you Kieran ! someone else and the post has been edited

jus_young
13-02-2014, 09:40 PM
Have I broke the rules?

Your fine Kieran, it was just a little remark that was subsequently commented on that was not appropriate for family viewing.

rik_uk3
17-02-2014, 08:38 AM
Tramping the NZ bush is a whole different ball game to UK camping and a good survival kit is well worth carrying.