PDA

View Full Version : Seeking permission to practice bushcraft

Sylvanbilly
14-02-2014, 08:20 AM
Hi
I have loads and loads of land to shot on but none I can say to practice bushcraft on, there are the odd small woodlands, copse, grove, thicket, coppice, coombe, covert, dingle, spinney. Etc but never enough thick dense woodland. Until now! I stumbled upon it on one of my bimbles, amazing place! Very vast, mixture of spruce forest, bordering on ancient broadleaf woodland separated with a small river at the base. Everything I want, so here's the question. How do I go about gaining permission?how have you guys done it, what worked and what didn't. The things I want to play with are things like: hammock and tarp set ups, overnighters, making fire, building shelters, (organic) cooking, to mention a few. Now if I was to ask straight out that these are what I want to do, I would assume the owner would quite blankly say NO!
The help I would like is what would be the best way to get around to asking? By letter (first) ? Knock on their door and ask?
Kind regards
Bill
P.s.
Not that I've ever done/been to a meet I am sure this location would more than fit the bill, and this could be a plus for us all.
Pps, the owner is the owner of a large static caravan site, so it may favour out chances with the lure of finance.

Blood
14-02-2014, 12:25 PM
Wow well done on finding what sounds like a great place. What kind if acreage would you guess it to be?
I have gained a permission just by being honest and open with the owner. Offer the carrot of services such as Rhoddy bashing to knock it back, Birket or water run off clearing or even litter picking whilst we are on site. They'd be surprised how much 10 or 12 lads can clear in an hour. Good luck n let us know how you get on

rik_uk3
14-02-2014, 12:45 PM
Its a numbers game, every land owner that says no gets you closer to one who will say yes. Find out who owns the land and visit in person, don't write or phone. Be calm and polite, stress the 'leave no trace' camping style you practise and ask for him and her to let you camp a couple of times and see how it goes. This worked for us and we now have two permissions to use. Also mention its for you but in the future it would be nice to have a small group meet, maybe half a dozen folk at the most.

Blood
14-02-2014, 02:30 PM
Oh and don't go in field gear! Smart casual and normal looking. lol what's normal!?

Sylvanbilly
14-02-2014, 03:34 PM
Wow well done on finding what sounds like a great place. What kind if acreage would you guess it to be?
I have gained a permission just by being honest and open with the owner. Offer the carrot of services such as Rhoddy bashing to knock it back, Birket or water run off clearing or even litter picking whilst we are on site. They'd be surprised how much 10 or 12 lads can clear in an hour. Good luck n let us know how you get on

Thanks all
I am not sure how much acreage it is i wouldnt know how to calculate it, but it would probably take about an hour or so as the crow flies.
Is there a website that can tell you who owns what as in property?
Cheers
Blood, I am not far from you, do you have to travel far to get to your permission? time wise

Blood
14-02-2014, 03:37 PM
Yeah real far, it's hugest woods in South Yorkshire. 86 acres to play in :-). Moved to n wales now though so going to get some more local to me. Type in the actual name of the woods on Google and the land registers or last time it was sold generally pops up and you May/may not get a result that way :-)

woodsman
14-02-2014, 03:46 PM
Hi Bill, I would use the same approach as gaining shooting permission. Go knock on the door and introduce yourself. You could say you are asking on behalf of a group , with the promise of a wodge of cash that comes with it. Lay it on thick that you follow the "leave no trace" credo.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

Midge_Fodder
18-02-2014, 02:53 PM
Aye that and butter them up with some nice wee crafty gifts, works a treat

Sylvanbilly
19-02-2014, 09:22 PM
Aye that and butter them up with some nice wee crafty gifts, works a treat
Now that is a good idea, !!
I make a lot of hedgerow wines but dont want to offend hehe,

Midge_Fodder
19-02-2014, 10:24 PM
It does work well, I tend to give them some jellies and the odd crook, I am more often than not using their hazel to make it lol.

OakAshandThorn
19-02-2014, 10:39 PM
Oh and don't go in field gear! Smart casual and normal looking. lol what's normal!?
T^ Good point, that...around here, locals would think you're a poacher if you showed up wearing camouflage, even if the only camo was on your hat.

Midge_Fodder
19-02-2014, 10:46 PM
T^ Good point, that...around here, locals would think you're a poacher if you showed up wearing camouflage, even if the only camo was on your hat.

Aye that's a point, even a flat cap on a man less than 65 in this area is a tad suspicious lol. I can just imagine it striding up to the big house with full OD green on with a knife, flat cap, pellet pouch, and with a Lurcher and a jack Russell. That would probably get you arrested tbh

OakAshandThorn
19-02-2014, 11:21 PM
Aye that's a point, even a flat cap on a man less than 65 in this area is a tad suspicious lol. I can just imagine it striding up to the big house with full OD green on with a knife, flat cap, pellet pouch, and with a Lurcher and a jack Russell. That would probably get you arrested tbh
Well I guess that counts me out with the flat cap thing :p.
LOL :happy-clapping:

Midge_Fodder
19-02-2014, 11:24 PM
Well I guess that counts me out with the flat cap thing :p.
LOL :happy-clapping:

You have seen my pic lol, with my reckless abandon for dressing my age

NorthernYeti
20-02-2014, 12:38 PM
i have the same problem i have shooting land but no crafting land yher best not going in full od green and combat gear,
i never used to bother but i dont fancie getting nicked for tresspass or shot anymore

Sylvanbilly
20-02-2014, 02:39 PM
Yeah i agree. Having been shooting shotguns since I was 8, I've never turned up looking like an SAS soldier, seeking permission.
I was looking for advice on what kind of things to say really, rather than how to dress, but I do take it on board, I think it's a hard subject to ask, where as when asking for shooting your actually doing the farmer some good out of it, where as bushcraft it's just like knocking on the door and saying can I play in your back garden, what things can be done to maybe give something back to the land owner

OakAshandThorn
20-02-2014, 05:03 PM
You have seen my pic lol, with my reckless abandon for dressing my age
I will say that most people who wear flat caps tend to be in their elder years, but the style seems to be making a comeback for the younger generation. I found mine for a good deal online, since no one in the area sells them...very ironic, as the town I live in was once known as the "Hat City of the World". All the factories were shut down when everybody found out about the dangers of mercury, of course that left us with a very polluted river...

Midge_Fodder
20-02-2014, 11:40 PM
Yeah i agree. Having been shooting shotguns since I was 8, I've never turned up looking like an SAS soldier, seeking permission.
I was looking for advice on what kind of things to say really, rather than how to dress, but I do take it on board, I think it's a hard subject to ask, where as when asking for shooting your actually doing the farmer some good out of it, where as bushcraft it's just like knocking on the door and saying can I play in your back garden, what things can be done to maybe give something back to the land owner

Well if your in the woods you are in some way their eyes and ears. I find they tend to like to have someone responsible around, as it deters poachers and thieves. Most land owners tend to be down to earth and prefer those who ask first. If you say things like explain what you do, likely times you'd be there, contact details and over egg the LNT most will be ok. Like everything though it's about mutual respect. Most farmers care more about crops and live stock, so ask them what will the surrounding ground be used for, this means they know you understand it's their lively hood. Also if you do get permission the odd wee crafty gift goes a long way, especially the edible variety or ones useful to them. Also I tend not to go empty handed when seeking permission. good luck Shug