PDA

View Full Version : A Nightingale

Humakt
24-02-2014, 08:10 AM
Walking to work this morning I could have sworn I saw and heard a nightingale.
If was a couple of months down the line then I'd happily say it was the first nightingale of the year but, even though its been a mild winter (despite the rains and storms!), it still feels a tad early in the year for nightingales.
I'm in the south east.
Anyone else heard/seen one yet, or had them this early before?

Midge_Fodder
24-02-2014, 09:14 AM
It's a weird one that.

Humakt
24-02-2014, 09:22 AM
There is a chance I could have been mistaken.
It was a brief snatch of song, but it looked like a nightingale, it sounded like a nightingale, and so I thought...

But just seems a bit too early.

Midge_Fodder
24-02-2014, 09:24 AM
It could have been but there a weirder things to happen. My birch tree in the garden was in bud on Boxing Day

Rasputin
24-02-2014, 10:39 AM
To be honest Steve nothing would suprise me these days, this weather is so weird why wouldnt a Nightingale be out of sync as well, Ken

midas
24-02-2014, 12:10 PM
"Only in BERKLEY SQUARE!!"lol.

Rasputin
24-02-2014, 01:14 PM
"Only in BERKLEY SQUARE!!"lol.

Your showing your age goldfinger :evilgrin:

Whistle
24-02-2014, 05:00 PM
Walking to work this morning I could have sworn I saw and heard a nightingale.
If was a couple of months down the line then I'd happily say it was the first nightingale of the year but, even though its been a mild winter (despite the rains and storms!), it still feels a tad early in the year for nightingales.
I'm in the south east.
Anyone else heard/seen one yet, or had them this early before?

No Nightingales yet ... but Humes Leaf Warbler , ChiffChaff and two Firecrests

seen at Dungeness on 10th Feb and 3 ChiffChaffs around on 19th Feb ... Still there Sunday !!!

So who knows , with all the strong southerly winds we've been having , anything can happen !!!

Cheers Whistle

Martin
25-02-2014, 10:15 AM
So, if I'm correct, the OP is saying that on his way to work, he heard and saw a bird that he can't identify? That's quite a topic for discussion.

I'll stick to sausages in lard! ;)

Martin

Humakt
25-02-2014, 10:22 AM
No, what we are saying is that the OP saw a bird that at another time of year would have been taken for a nightingale, and yet it seems too early in the year for nightingales. So the OP was asking if nightingales may have been seen before this early in the year - if they had then it can be identified as a nightingale, if not then probably a mistake.
You're paying too much attention to sausages in lard and not what is written on this thread! Get back to your lard.

Fraxinus
25-02-2014, 01:32 PM
It would not surprise me if you have seen/heard one, we have year on year had Starlings nest in our loft and they have been busy round here this last week in what looks like nest building, much earlier than other years. Hopefully this means we don't get the cold and snow of past years, but that weather has struck later in the year before.

Rob.

shack
25-02-2014, 01:33 PM
more sitings (or hearings today) have you checked out any local twitchey-birderery forums, I know last year we had some unusual visitors and note pads, bino's, zoom lenes and anoraks appeared all over the show!
If it's vaguely newsworthy word gets out.

this uber mild weather is a right muck up, wild strawberries in flower 5 weeks ago!(albeit one plant in a sheltered spot- still worth a geeky photo)

Rasputin
25-02-2014, 01:42 PM
So, if I'm correct, the OP is saying that on his way to work, he heard and saw a bird that he can't identify? That's quite a topic for discussion.

I'll stick to sausages in lard! ;)

Martin

So Martin, when you say OP are you using the military anac. ie observation post or do you mean something else ?

Whistle
25-02-2014, 05:07 PM
So Martin, when you say OP are you using the military anac. ie observation post or do you mean something else ?

Hey Ras He means Original Poster ... It is written in full at the top of the first post in a thread .

What worries me is why the original poshcrafter is getting involved with sausage in lard ... Ha ha ha !!!

Cheers Whistle

Rasputin
25-02-2014, 05:37 PM
Ta Whistle, but for the light of me I cant find it anywhere on the thread, unless Ime having another snr moment,lol, Ken

Whistle
25-02-2014, 05:49 PM
Ta Whistle, but for the light of me I cant find it anywhere on the thread, unless Ime having another snr moment,lol, Ken

Sorry mate ... Look at top of this page ... "your Originally Posted by Rasputin" in the blue Quote box ...

I knew it was there somewhere !!! Ha ha ha !!!

Cheers Whistle

Rasputin
25-02-2014, 06:20 PM
Doh ! told ya snr moment, Ime looking at very 1st post yesterday at 9-?? post #1 cant see the wood for the trees, thanks Whistle, Ken T^

Martin
26-02-2014, 06:31 AM
Sausages contain lard, so why not store them in lard which would make them easier to fry/confit? Got to be better than nightingales in lard!!

Martin

Whistle
26-02-2014, 06:46 AM
better than nightingales in lard!!

Martin

Ha ha ha !!! Posh crafter grub hey ?!?! You'll be telling us where we can get Larks Tongues in Aspic next !!!

Cheers Whistle

Midge_Fodder
26-02-2014, 07:05 AM
Aye badgers noses, ocelots earlobes ............

Martin
26-02-2014, 07:12 AM
Splitter!!