PDA

View Full Version : First wild camp Cairngorms

hiking_dude
24-02-2014, 08:58 AM
Hey everyone!

I posted this in the introduction bit of the forum first but thought I'd add it here too, seems more appropriate.

My name's Glenn, I am a passionate hiker but new to wild camping and bushcraft. It would be great if you guys could give me some advice on something that I've been planning for a while now.

I want to go on my first wild camping trip this summer and have just booked a flight to Inverness for the end of June, after a few weeks of reading and planning. So now there's no backing out! I'm going!

With a few months left I want to make the most of the time I have to prepare, including a few practice camps around the area where I live.

When I do eventually go to Scotland, my plan is to start in Glenmore Forest with not too much hiking for a couple of days, getting used to the local area and "learning by doing". Then I want to venture down into Glen Feshie and back, and if I feel up to it maybe attempt to pass the Lairig Ghru at some point. In general I want to stay reasonably low though.

Given that I will have prepared a lot for this in terms of theory and physical conditioning, but will still have next to no experience at all with wild camping, what do you think about this plan? What would be your advice?

I appreciate any help, thanks a lot in advance!

Blood
24-02-2014, 09:17 AM
Hey dude.
First off I would say NAVIGATION NAVIGATION NAVIGATION! Up there it can be hard to follow even marked known footpaths. Make sure you are fully conversant with all the drills required with map reading and compass work. If you're takin a GPS device, make sure you know it intimately!!!

Plan you're route to have easy access to water as much as possible, you will loose a lot of fluids in the summer with out realising it, Do not let yourself get dehydrated at any point, it's a slippery demoralising and dangerous slope once you do.

Know your kit and make sure you've proven it many times so you can set it up and be confident it will hold up to the abuse you're gonna give it.

Mostly, enjoy it!! Know you're limits and be reasonable in your self expectations. Keep us posted on you plans and training :-)

Midge_Fodder
24-02-2014, 09:26 AM
Also make sure you realise what your carrying is all you've got. Be wise when packing as up there the weather changes very quickly. It's important that you realise, when your taking your entire existence for that period in a rucksack, the weight alone will affect your ability. Also I second the navigation point, getting lost isn't an option up there.

hiking_dude
24-02-2014, 10:13 AM
Thanks for the quick replies! Navigation is indeed a big issue, orienteering is not my strongest point since most of my hiking has been a long well mapped paths. Will have to learn a lot about this before I go.

As for water, I'm used to drinking loads when I'm out hiking but I'm also used to passing water sources on a regular basis. I guess out in the wild that's not always a given... And because of the already considerable pack weight I will only be able to carry a small amount at a time. Intuitively I would thank that water is plentiful in the Cairngorms, but I am not sure what I am basing that intuition on.

As far as training is concerned I am currently doing a 15km hill hike each weekend in addition to normal strength and conditioning routines in the gym. I take a 20kg pack with me and even though I scaled up to that weight gradually, my knees are not happy afterwards. Hopefully the joints will adapt to the weight, otherwise not sure how I'm going to manage hiking that sort of distance (ideally much more) every day for 10 days. But once I'm in the Cairngorms the priority should probably be to keep it slow and steady, with reasonable self expectations like you said.

Rasputin
24-02-2014, 10:29 AM
Hi Glen, appropriate name for tramping Scotland, Its really all been said, navigation and safety knowledge are your most essential points to work on and you must be totally aware of your own limitations as weight will be a critical factor as well. Map and compass has to be your prime source of nav. not GPS. Good luck Ken

Blood
24-02-2014, 10:53 AM
Assume nothing. Plan in your mind every possible failure. And then prepare for worse. It will happen. Think only that and be ready for it. Your own mindset had to be modest, determined and at the same same time, do not be ashamed to say, this is too much for me.

If your nav skills are your Known weakness, then be realistic about this ten days. May I urge you to the side of caution here because you may put others in harms way if you fail to prepare to a more than proficient level. Mountain Rescue teams are just family folk like you and I. By not being completely skilled in the most basic skill for what you are proposing, I feel you may be destined for a short trip.

That said, try your best to be ready and perhaps hit a course or two to get ready. I hope you really can get squared away in time for it.

midas
24-02-2014, 11:08 AM
Hi Glen n Welcome,Remember its not a race or a contest,Just take care,n enjoy youself.Let Common sense prevail,Best Wishes n ENJOY!

Blood
02-03-2014, 02:40 PM
How are those preps coming along Glen?

hiking_dude
04-03-2014, 01:52 PM
Hey, thanks again for the advice and especially for the words of caution with regard to navigation!

As an enthusiastic newcomer it can be easy to underestimate certain things that may then very suddenly cause major problems out in the field.

Preparations are slow as I only have time on Sundays really, so I did my hike with 20kg on my back last weekend, 4 1/2 hours this time and with lots of hills in it. My knees are not enjoying it though, I must be doing something wrong as I get a pain near the tendon at the back of the right knee. The pain lasts for roughly two days only, but if I get that when I intend to hike (almost) every day for 10 days, that could be an issue. General fitness is otherwise not a problem.

I've scouted out some locations near where I live where I can test my camping gear so will probably camp out one night of the weekend at some point fairly soon and combine that with my weekly hike.

One thing I am currently thinking about is food because it will be impossible to carry enough for 10 days. As I will not wander too far from civilization I won't have to, either, but am wondering what are the most energy dense, compact foods to take. So far I'm thinking various types of nuts and dried fruits, oats, peanut butter, canned tuna for sufficient protein, those kind of things. Don't really want to take chocolate or sugary stuff as I follow a low glycemic diet. Dried fruit is pretty much as far as I'm willing to take that. Not sure how viable this all is though :D

As for orientation, I still haven't got round to buying a decent compass!! I know how to use one, but I will need to practise a lot. I do not have a GPS device and don't intend to get one. Could you advise on the range of specific skills to practise with map and compass? If it is possible to be more specific than "practise navigating" which is what I'd try once I get my compass.

Edit: Oh another one of my current worries is wet weather. Haven't had a chance to try out walking long distance in the rain, setting up camp in the rain etc. I've slept "face down in the mud" before but that was back in the CCF and only ever for a night at a time, so not sure how well I'd deal with being soaked and not being able to do anything about it. So basically I'm hoping for some rainy weather soon, no luck with that the past couple of weeks...

midas
05-03-2014, 09:39 AM
Hi Dude,Get a pair of hiking poles!(said "I'd never walk with a stick")But the amount of weight they take of your knees,is amazing!.After trying a pair on a hunting trip,in a very slippy,hilly forest.I was converted,.They are telscopic,so can be shortened,and strapped to pack when not required.Best of luck.
PS.Remember you are out there to enjoy the countryside n have fun!!!It aint a "forced route march",Marching in rain aint my idea of fun.I'd be inclined to hole up,n put a brew on.Remember you can't just dump your soaking wet cloths n jump into a hot bath.

ratcatcher
05-03-2014, 10:43 AM
welcome to the forum, but reading your posts, you sound to me that your trying to run before you can walk
a hiker that does not own a compass?

in all honesty I think you'd be better off cancelling the flight, and trying to find a buddy closer to home that you can have a few practise weekends with, as putting yourself out there on your own with little or no knowledge of how to go about it, is a no brainer in my book
as well as putting yourself at risk, it could end up being a drain on the rescue services that have too much to handle as it is

fill your profile in and add your location, you may well have another member from here on your doorstep, then have a one or two nights camping out, close to home or the car in case its needed, you will at least then be able to judge from experience on how much is needed, rather than reading it on a forum

hiking_dude
05-03-2014, 06:23 PM
Thanks for the advice with the walking poles, I'll give that a try!

@ratcatcher: I appreciate your concern, but unless I am missing something, I have to ask, is it really THAT difficult to use a compass? Like I said I learned it back in school, and I don't remember it being that hard. Therefore I mean that - maybe I am indeed underestimating it?

I don't one a compass as yet because simply I've never needed one in the areas of Norway and Switzerland where I've been hiking, even the slightly more remote places. Of course I am not going to be completely stupid about it, I won't take any chances by walking off into the wild if I'm not 100% certain that I have the skill needed to find my way back out. As far as I can see I am challenging myself enough simply by sleeping outside for an extended amount of time, I don't need the whole survival experience in there as well. Instead I intend to practice close to Aviemore (and its hostel, in case it all gets too much), staying within a few hours walking distance of "civilisation" before I even attempt to venture out further.

Long story short, if you think I really am missing something major when it comes to compass skills, I'll be very grateful if you point that out to me! Maybe I am indeed underestimating it. But isn't life all about learning new skills?

Midge_Fodder
05-03-2014, 06:51 PM
Was it an ordinary or a sighting compass you learned with?

Blood
05-03-2014, 07:17 PM
Ok the BEST literature I have read for map n compass work is Mountain navigation by Peter Cliff, ISBN 1-871890-55-1. £7 new. Make it your toilet book, travel book, bed book, you get my drift. Re read it constantly. You have underestimated map reading if you question that you have underestimated it. It can be Very difficult. If the fog/cloud drops, can you confidently KNOW where you are, what you present bearing is and are you confident enough to walk 'blind' on a bearing!?

I have been outdoors many times as a living and as a hobby. My last outing saw me relearn many skills and reacquainting myself with familiar kit. I wouldn't have wanted to do it in Carp weather.

Keep trying, learning, Questioning and learning some more. Most of all, get out there and DOOOOO IT! And Enjoy it too!! These are all things you will carry with you for the rest of life. Be proud of ya self when you've learnt them too and tell us all about it

bigzee
05-03-2014, 08:28 PM
Good on you for setting yourself a target and planning ahead in plenty of time. You could wait the rest of your life and spend countless trips over several years with experienced people and still have plenty to learn.

Staying on the low ground is a good plan, and should not leave you short of water sources. unfortunately the Cairngorms is the largest area of high ground in the UK, and that means plateaus rather than peaks, so views would be limited and orientation difficult / lethal on that terrain. A good place to experience this issue on a smaller scale would be the Kinder scout plateau in the peak district (the ground may be high - but all you see is sky!).

I don't know if you smoke a pipe, but if you're going to Scotland in June, then (trust me) all this stuff will pale into insignificance when you begin to endure the Scottish midge!

Midge_Fodder
05-03-2014, 08:48 PM
Ohhh buy this stuff called midge repel and another thing is bug oil, Fiona makes great stuff that actually works. Trust me those blighters make light work of bleeding you dry, causing cellulitis and giving you the mother of all bites. Up there the midges could very well drag off the odd sheep or cow.

bigzee
05-03-2014, 09:57 PM
Ohhh buy this stuff called midge repel and another thing is bug oil, Fiona makes great stuff that actually works. Trust me those blighters make light work of bleeding you dry, causing cellulitis and giving you the mother of all bites. Up there the midges could very well drag off the odd sheep or cow.
Whooaahh - don't put the bloke off!

I once went for a wild camp in the hills when the midges descended at dusk - just as I was wanting to cook a meal. The Coleman stove was playing up (now I clean it regularly) and was shooting long orange flame upwards - making cooking in the tent impossible..Grrrrrr!! I ended up dining behind the midge screen on just a snickers bar, rather than go outside, and re-enact that scene from "the mummy" - where the human is consumed by insects! That was only near Ladybower reservoir in the peak district, and north of the border (those wee) things get worse. I found the "perfect pitch" for a tent on a back road near Torridon once ("how come no-one else is here?" he thought). I soon found out why - as the still half-erected tent was thrown rapidly in the boot, pursued by thousands of Satan's miniature representatives. I think that night was spent in the car...again.

Midge_Fodder
05-03-2014, 10:00 PM
I honestly think the worst ones are on sky, I never seem to get bitten ironically, just inhale loads. I've seen what a midge can do. Just make sure your protected as hospital and IV anti bio tics isn't fun

hiking_dude
06-03-2014, 11:11 AM
@ Blood: Thank you very much for that useful advice and the words of encouragement. I will get the book and get on it. For a compass I now own the Recta DS-50. I am very concerned about the danger of underestimating certain risks that may present themselves, so I intend to take great care in preparing myself for as many eventualities as possible. Hopefully with the help of the book and regular practice outside I can get up to speed in time for my adventure.

Indeed the idea behind this trip came about many years ago, and the decision to just book the flight was made in order to finally force myself to actually go through with it this time. Which I will :) And from then on I expect to spend many years practising, learning and making new experiences as my skills develop through practical application.

As for the midges - Hospital and IV antibiotics?? Would you care to elaborate? I mean I am getting a headnet for sure, and will hopefully find an effective repellent in Aviemore that is slightly less destructive than DEET, but are they really THAT bad?

Midge_Fodder
06-03-2014, 11:44 AM
http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/111201017748

That's the best insect repellent around and not nasty at all.

Oh on the note of hospitalisation. Last summer I know 2 people who contracted cellulitis from midge bites, one being my mother. It's not as uncommon as you'd think. The problem lies with the fact bacteria can be spread by the midges causing a bite to go septic. Also watch out as some people can also be allergic to midge bites and it isn't pretty.
http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Bites-insect/Pages/Complications.aspx
Here's a link that will be helpfull

Rasputin
06-03-2014, 12:50 PM
Ok the BEST literature I have read for map n compass work is Mountain navigation by Peter Cliff, ISBN 1-871890-55-1. £7 new. Make it your toilet book, travel book, bed book, you get my drift. Re read it constantly. You have underestimated map reading if you question that you have underestimated it. It can be Very difficult. If the fog/cloud drops, can you confidently KNOW where you are, what you present bearing is and are you confident enough to walk 'blind' on a bearing!?

I have been outdoors many times as a living and as a hobby. My last outing saw me relearn many skills and reacquainting myself with familiar kit. I wouldn't have wanted to do it in Carp weather.

Keep trying, learning, Questioning and learning some more. Most of all, get out there and DOOOOO IT! And Enjoy it too!! These are all things you will carry with you for the rest of life. Be proud of ya self when you've learnt them too and tell us all about it

T^

hiking_dude
06-03-2014, 06:22 PM
Thanks for pointing me towards that repellent, will give it a try!

Now this whole midge problem has led me to start questioning the viability of the trip. Navigation I can learn, that's up to me, but the midges are out of my control and quite frankly I missed the apparent magnitude of that issue when I first planned the trip. My thinking went along the lines of "well, so there's gonna be a few midges, nothing too bad with the right sort of substance to fight them off with" but it seems I am once again underestimating what nature's got in store for me.

My determination is fading as I read more articles about how bad they really are. I fear I may have a PROPER bad time no matter where I go in the area. Flight is booked and paid for though, and I am not really prepared to let some insect put me off my adventure. However, if they end up completely ruining it...

Severely undecided now about what to do. Should I just not worry about it?

Rasputin
06-03-2014, 06:30 PM
Dude it depends on 2 things, time of year and where you are, especially near the water. And yes they can be a pain in the butt, but you can do it as lots of others have and do. Youve had good advice use it and do it, atb Ken

Midge_Fodder
06-03-2014, 06:30 PM
If you cover up and use the repellents you'd be fine. It's just an issue to point out. Having lived alongside the midges for my entire life, it's possible to do it. Water and woods are the hotspots, but if you sit near your fire early in the morning and in the evening in these areas you'll smoke them out and make it easier for yourself. Ohhhh a wee trick a lot of the farm workers and foresters use is washing with Avon Skin So Soft, does wonders.

Blood
06-03-2014, 07:00 PM
Second skin so soft! Built wind turbines in Glenmoriston and they were animals up there. Works well

Blood
06-03-2014, 07:20 PM
Use your flights and get up there. Spend a couple of days in the bush. Then a couple of days in a hostal to regroup and evaluate. Then go out again and practice the lessons learnt. Keep to the low sides of the hills in the afternoons as to not get caught out late on. Stay within reasonable distance of mapped routes, just incase. There's likely to be help along at some point if it goes norks up :-). Midges or no midgets, if not them then ticks, or horse fly, or flying ants... No excuse to not do it!! Holdfast Dude and GO for it!!!!!

Midge_Fodder
06-03-2014, 07:49 PM
That's the way I'd go about it too. Also gives you a chance to enjoy a pint and a comfy bed. The Cairngorms are great, you'll find your feet well up there. Plus doing it for real is hard the first time. I had been wild camping regularly for a couple of years before I made my first long expedition. The lessons you learn are the best ones if you get a chance to practice them. It also allows you to try more out, when your dependent on one skill it can be disheartening when it isn't working for some reason. I'd be lying is I said I didn't make a hash of something on the odd occasion and that's after many years of bushcraft.

flounder_al
06-03-2014, 07:52 PM
I'll third the Avon - Skin So Soft here. I get eaten alive by them up here but I have found that the moisturiser and the oil work great. I have the green bottle one. Seems to be the best in my opinion.

I think I might get a bottle of that SSBO too to try out

Blood
06-03-2014, 08:03 PM
Can I urge you to acclimatise your body to all these chemicals too, before you lather up for a solid amount of time. There's been a lot of cases of severe reactions to deet recorded causing epileptic shocks and skin burn, these being worst case. Try a few different ones on your trips out practising and mentally note the reactions of your body with each product. ;-). I'm bad on jungle formula which made my eyes swell and closed up my throat. Military issue deet gave me burns. Skin so soft worked great without reaction.

Midge_Fodder
06-03-2014, 08:07 PM
The ssbo isn't DEET based, it's Made with rapeseed oil, Neem oil, rose geranium oil, lavender oil, citronella oil and lemon eucalyptus oil. And the midge repel is beeswax, eucalyptus and pine tar.

Midge_Fodder
06-03-2014, 08:08 PM
I react bad to DEET, worse with Lyclear.

David_JAFO
07-03-2014, 12:51 PM
hello,
IMHO the Midges are the least of your problems & please take this advice as friendly as possible do not take this in offence in anyway.. having read your post as well as your alleged abilities, would you not be better trying out your 'Scottish Expedition' somewhere of a less hostile environment first 'then' venture into the 'Cairngorm National Park?' maybe visit the Cairngorms whilst you are in Scotland? there's lots of great places to visit around the area for wild camping. Seriously if it were I & had any doubts what so ever with navigation especially in Cairngorm I would certainly not be taking any chances. Remember if you get into any difficulties it's the Mountain Rescue etc.. that's putting their lives at risk to come find you. Maybe have a wee chat with these guys MRT Cairngorm before you venture out into the wilderness http://www.cmrt.org.uk/ whilst your in the area give them the same details/doubts you have contents within your post see what they say. Whatever you do stay safe & enjoy your visit to Scotland.
Regards
David :wink:

Given that I will have prepared a lot for this in terms of theory and physical conditioning, but will still have next to no experience at all with wild camping, what do you think about this plan? What would be your advice?

hiking_dude
07-03-2014, 01:09 PM
Guys, thanks so much for all the great advice! Avon Skin So Soft will be another one to remember. Personally I'd rather avoid harsh chemicals altogether, so I'll give the Avon stuff a try and the natural solution Midge_Fodder suggested.

Admittedly I had a bit of a motivational low last night after having read lots of horror stories about the mighty midge, but after sleeping on it the motivation's back up to HIGH (not least also because of your posts). If I get eaten alive, so be it :D

I'll stay flexible throughout the trip with regard to hostel stays for getting my act together etc - part of the reason I chose the Cairngorms is that it doesn't seem to take too long to end up in areas of relatively remote wilderness, so I can experience what it's like to really be wild camping, without at the same time being so far out in the bush that I couldn't abort the whole thing if I had to.

More than anything this adventure is about learning to live more in tune with nature, and of course that will involve learning a lot of new skills. Right now I might not know what I am talking about, but if I can be confident that my preparation has been adequately thorough then I'd rather learn from experience, out in the field, than just reading books for a lifetime before actually going out there.

Anyway, this weekend I am going to extend my walk to a distance that will take me about five hours to cover, with 20kg on my back and walking poles this time to see how my knee reacts. And of course I'll have my compass and my navigation book with me! The weather is beautiful right now here in Germany (where I live), nothing but blue skies and nature is really coming to life, so I suspect that tomorrow will also be the first night I'll spend outside to try out some of my new bits of kit.

Edit:

hello,
IMHO the Midges are the least of your problems & please take this advice as friendly as possible do not take this in offence in anyway.. having read your post as well as your alleged abilities, would you not be better trying out your 'Scottish Expedition' somewhere of a less hostile environment first 'then' venture into the 'Cairngorm National Park?' maybe visit the Cairngorms whilst you are in Scotland? there's lots of great places to visit around the area for wild camping. Seriously if it were I & had any doubts what so ever with navigation especially in Cairngorm I would certainly not be taking any chances. Remember if you get into any difficulties it's the Mountain Rescue etc.. that's putting their lives at risk to come find you. Maybe have a wee chat with these guys MRT Cairngorm before you venture out into the wilderness http://www.cmrt.org.uk/ whilst your in the area give them the same details/doubts you have contents within your post see what they say. Whatever you do stay safe & enjoy your visit to Scotland.
Regards
David :wink:

Hi, thanks for your advice. This has been pointed out to me by others too and I should clarify that I no longer intend to venture as deeply into the park as I had originally planned. Originally I wanted to pass through the Lairig Ghru as the main challenge, but from what I've heard I will be better off staying on the fringes, on lower ground and somewhat closer to civilization. I do want to challenge myself, but not in a life threatening way and certainly not in ways that may pose risk to others!

That said, if you have any particular suggestions for equally remote but safer places in that particular area (I'm flying into Inverness), I am very open to any recommendations of that sort! For example it seems that walking deep into Glen Feshie, along the river, should be quite nice.

Blood
07-03-2014, 01:11 PM
Could have said it more politely. Well said David :-)

Midge_Fodder
07-03-2014, 01:45 PM
Actually I'm with David on this one. Don't waste your flights though

David_JAFO
07-03-2014, 01:54 PM
hello,
Thanks Blood. *hiking_dude well if your flying into Inverness. I once walked made my way from Glasgow to the Isle of Skye (Inverness & Fort William incl'). Travelled along the A82 there's plenty of places you can wild camp on the outer fringes from civilisation still remote but within walking distance incase you hit a problem. If you ask around the locals will give you plenty of advice where you can set up your tent etc.. that includes Bushcraft tarp, bivvi bag etc.. x9/10 the locals will point you in the right direction on many occasions I've had a few locals pop across see how we were doing, gave us food & just being friendly. Once stopped a few nights not far from a hotel washed dishes for food/drinks etc.. As you should be aware if your stopping somewhere on your own, heading into the hills or other, please leave details with someone/establishment of authority Police, Hostel/Hotel, or MRT of your planned route (don't venture from this) & your ETA return to your camp (common sense). Don't head off elsewhere without leaving details that you have moved on to another destination & create a SAR (Search & Rescue). I very much hope you do enjoy TGO ruggedness of rural Scotland. Stay Safe :wink:
Regards
David

Could have said it more politely. Well said David :-)

ratcatcher
07-03-2014, 06:00 PM
so, getting this straight, I show concerns and get slatted by you for doing so
others say similar things, and you say, thanks

flounder_al
07-03-2014, 06:06 PM
I do want to challenge myself, but not in a life threatening way and certainly not in ways that may pose risk to others!

That said, if you have any particular suggestions for equally remote but safer places in that particular area (I'm flying into Inverness), I am very open to any recommendations of that sort! For example it seems that walking deep into Glen Feshie, along the river, should be quite nice.

If you're flying into Inverness then have you thought about giving this route as go? http://www.greatglenway.org/

It has some beautiful views and also some nice gradients that will test your knees but not endanger you.

hiking_dude
07-03-2014, 06:13 PM
so, getting this straight, I show concerns and get slatted by you for doing so
others say similar things, and you say, thanks

You have to admit the way you put your point across, as compared to the way David did, was a little bit rough around the edges. But I didn't get offended (I was in fact grateful for the opinion but at the same time reluctant to accept it at face value without a bit of a discussion), and I hoped that neither would you even if I respond in a similar way. If you did, I apologise!

Midge_Fodder
07-03-2014, 06:17 PM
You have to admit the way you put your point across, as compared to the way David did, was a little bit rough around the edges. But I didn't get offended (I was in fact grateful for the opinion but at the same time reluctant to accept it at face value without a bit of a discussion), and I hoped that neither would you even if I respond in a similar way. If you did, I apologise!

Sometimes you have to hear something a couple of times to believe it. That's just the way it can be.

hiking_dude
07-03-2014, 06:21 PM
If you're flying into Inverness then have you thought about giving this route as go? http://www.greatglenway.org/

It has some beautiful views and also some nice gradients that will test your knees but not endanger you.

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion. I had briefly thought about heading down that way before making my way down to Aviemore, but it seemed that the route would just not be quite wild enough for the kind of experience I had in mind. So I am still inclined to head straight to Aviemore but from there stay off the plateaus and stick to the low ground. Will do more research about the Great Glen Way though, it might be an option after all.

hiking_dude
07-03-2014, 06:22 PM
Sometimes you have to hear something a couple of times to believe it. That's just the way it can be.

Exactly!

rawfish111
07-03-2014, 06:51 PM
Hey Glenn

Are the preparations going well?

I did a few exercises up near Campbeltown over the years and found that them midges could be pretty persistent but if you follow some of the tips you've been given on here then you should be ok and not be returning as a drained husk.

Navigation wise if I were in your shoes I would be getting as much training in as possible and while "practise navigation" is a whole can of worms and basically a nod to practising ALL OF IT. That is exactly what you need to do.

As a minimum I assume that you can orientate a map, use features to triangulate your position and remember aiming off from your CCF days? I would also assume that you are familiar with the basic topographical features and au fait with the symbols used...... Not wishing to insult your intelligence but it needed asking.

The idea of hostelling in between excursions could well save your hide and give you the opportunity to re-evaluate and confirm any lessons learned.

Whatever you decide I wish you a safe and enjoyable trip. I still have fond memories of similar excursions from my youth (although I was a little more pretrained) A few photo's and a quick write up of anything learned from your point of view would be welcome also. Unless...... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JI_Jfw22To

David_JAFO
08-03-2014, 01:28 PM
hello,
hiking_dude hope you've not been put off visiting Scotland? The Great Glen http://www.outdoorhighlands.co.uk/long-distance-trails/great-glen-way-2/ have a browse at the link give you some tourist information etc.. As 'rawfish111' suggests A few photo's and a quick write up of anything learned from your point of view would be welcome also. We used to have a system where we stored along with our maps a A4 ring binder with additional information of the routes for walks included grade of walk, anything spotted wildlife, plants etc.. plus any changes to the area dangers, new footpaths, bridges etc.. that weren't on the map. These were laminated & could be removed for use on route along with the map. A4 double sided was sufficient for this purpose. Something I would like to add, Highland Council have employed Rangers plus 'Ghillies or Gillies' (spelling) employees who frequent these areas, don't be surprised if you do receive a visit from such 'wild camping' I've encountered a few on my travels up North.
I'm in Glasgow just now having a refreshment in Lauders Sauchiehall street heading over to one of the Outdoors stores check out the goods.
Regards
David
"Take only photo's/memories, leave no trace only footprints.." :wink:

hiking_dude
08-03-2014, 05:38 PM
Hey Glenn

Are the preparations going well?

I did a few exercises up near Campbeltown over the years and found that them midges could be pretty persistent but if you follow some of the tips you've been given on here then you should be ok and not be returning as a drained husk.

Navigation wise if I were in your shoes I would be getting as much training in as possible and while "practise navigation" is a whole can of worms and basically a nod to practising ALL OF IT. That is exactly what you need to do.

As a minimum I assume that you can orientate a map, use features to triangulate your position and remember aiming off from your CCF days? I would also assume that you are familiar with the basic topographical features and au fait with the symbols used...... Not wishing to insult your intelligence but it needed asking.

The idea of hostelling in between excursions could well save your hide and give you the opportunity to re-evaluate and confirm any lessons learned.

Whatever you decide I wish you a safe and enjoyable trip. I still have fond memories of similar excursions from my youth (although I was a little more pretrained) A few photo's and a quick write up of anything learned from your point of view would be welcome also. Unless...... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JI_Jfw22To

Hey,

preparations are not going too bad thanks. Practiced pitching my new tent in the backyard earlier today, got it down pretty quickly. I was going to sleep outside as well but as I did a long strength workout today and am planning a hike longer than usual tomorrow, I'd rather be guaranteed to sleep well so I've postponed that for now. It did seem pretty comfortable though...

I am fairly familiar with the three navigation skills you mentioned and from what I can see in the book I got, you don't really need much more out in the field, you just need to be able to do those few things really well. And of course the background knowledge about magnetic poles, grid lines etc. is also essential but I'll be re-reading those theoretical bits many times over the coming weeks. As for the topographical features I am familiar with the basic ones of course, but am just getting my map reading skills up to speed as well at the moment. I guess some of the more elaborate symbols I would have to look up, but I plan to know the maps I have inside out before I go in summer.

And I will of course, if interest prevails, provide my report of the trip in pics and writing, once I get back.

@David: No worries I haven't been put off at all! It's good to get feedback from people who know their stuff, helps me to re-evaluate some of my assumptions and be as prepared as I can be. And I don't expect this trip, my first longer one completely alone, to be a walk in the park exactly so whilst the midges issue got close, it hasn't put me off after all :)

So right now I am quite happy with everything am really motivated, read the orientation book during the day as I was out in the garden and will do some more research on alternative routes (such as the Great Glen). Although I really have taken a liking to the idea of walking down Glen Feshie, not quite ready to abandon that just yet... Anyway thanks for your support and constructive criticism up to this point, and I'm sure I'll be back soon with more questions! For now have a nice weekend everyone.

David_JAFO
09-03-2014, 09:27 AM
hello,
T^
Regards
David

Rasputin
09-03-2014, 11:00 PM
hello,
hiking_dude hope you've not been put off visiting Scotland? The Great Glen http://www.outdoorhighlands.co.uk/long-distance-trails/great-glen-way-2/ have a browse at the link give you some tourist information etc.. As 'rawfish111' suggests A few photo's and a quick write up of anything learned from your point of view would be welcome also. We used to have a system where we stored along with our maps a A4 ring binder with additional information of the routes for walks included grade of walk, anything spotted wildlife, plants etc.. plus any changes to the area dangers, new footpaths, bridges etc.. that weren't on the map. These were laminated & could be removed for use on route along with the map. A4 double sided was sufficient for this purpose. Something I would like to add, Highland Council have employed Rangers plus 'Ghillies or Gillies' (spelling) employees who frequent these areas, don't be surprised if you do receive a visit from such 'wild camping' I've encountered a few on my travels up North.
I'm in Glasgow just now having a refreshment in Lauders Sauchiehall street heading over to one of the Outdoors stores check out the goods.
Regards
David
"Take only photo's/memories, leave no trace only footprints.." :wink:

Good grief is lauders bar still going ! I used to frequent it in the 70's it was a rough old place then and all the bars shut at 9 oclock, had a few fights outside as well,lol those were the days, get a carryoot ( do they still have the offy on the corner of the building ) and find the nearest tenament to where you lived that had music playing give your booze at the door and say jimmy said to come over. Rough place but loved the Glaswegians and Glasgow, Happy days.

David_JAFO
10-03-2014, 01:43 PM
hello,
Aye Lauders is still going quite a class joint BTW these days, a lot of the BBC & Scottish TV actors etc.. frequent the bar at lunchtimes from the nearby studios, it has it's regulars too. There's quite a few 'Offies' 'Kerry Oot' shops around that area :D A lot of the old tenements were pulled down those that still stand are worth a few bob these days. No mean city as the saying goes. Like any city you'll find trouble if you go looking for it. In Glasgow I've always found it to be a friendly multi cultured city aka 'The Toon' & IMO relatively safe :wink:
Regards
David

Rasputin
10-03-2014, 06:05 PM
hello,
Aye Lauders is still going quite a class joint BTW these days, a lot of the BBC & Scottish TV actors etc.. frequent the bar at lunchtimes from the nearby studios, it has it's regulars too. There's quite a few 'Offies' 'Kerry Oot' shops around that area :D A lot of the old tenements were pulled down those that still stand are worth a few bob these days. No mean city as the saying goes. Like any city you'll find trouble if you go looking for it. In Glasgow I've always found it to be a friendly multi cultured city aka 'The Toon' & IMO relatively safe :wink:
Regards
David

Cheers David, T^

David_JAFO
11-03-2014, 03:41 PM
hello,
Rasputin there's a glass of lemonade behind the bar for you next time your up in Lauders :p
Regards
David