PDA

View Full Version : Surplus Footwear Para/Assault Boots

LoneWalker
25-02-2014, 02:25 PM
I am looking to get a pair of boots for walking the dog around where I live, nothing too strenuous, a few fields, paths and pavements. I have tried numerous pairs of reasonably priced "branded" footwear, all of which are comfortable, but most are hardly water resistant, despite their claims, and seem to wear through the footbed in as little as 3 months. Best were a pair of goretex fabric Meindls which lasted 18 months but were not waterproof after about 6 months.

I am looking to get either a pair of german para boots similar to(used though):
http://www.militarykit.com/products/footwear/military_german_army_para_boot_new.html

or a pair of british assault boots similar to:
http://www.silvermans.co.uk/tabid/62/MILITARY/FOOTWEAR/BRITTON+ASSAULT+BOOTS/0/SKU/4-153-16872-1675/Default.aspx

I am leaning towards the German Para boots, as I have owned a pair of the early type back in the 80's, but could be swayed.

Could anyone provide any experience of either type of boot and recommend a potential vendor for me to get some boots from please. Budget is about £50.

Thank-you.

ian c
25-02-2014, 08:55 PM
The British assault boots are not very waterproof they were ok for using around camp, I wore the issue Gortex boots (pro boots) when in the field.

Midge_Fodder
25-02-2014, 10:06 PM
Para boots are grand, you can get them for under your budget at most surplus places. But IMO the sweat that pools in GTX boots makes you think they leak like a sieve. Trick is when walking the pooch wear the cheapest boots you can, the mileage you rack up is unreal. If you think on average I can walk 4 miles in 45 minutes, I walk my dog at least that mileage 2 times a day. So in a month I've done about 250 miles plus in them. So in 4 months that's 1000miles!!! Dog walking always wears your shoes out badly.

LoneWalker
09-03-2014, 06:16 PM
Thanks gents. Went for a pair of German Para Boots from Field Leisure in Saltash. In good nick with plenty of sole left on them. Very comfortable.

Midge_Fodder
09-03-2014, 06:23 PM
Thanks gents. Went for a pair of German Para Boots from Field Leisure in Saltash. In good nick with plenty of sole left on them. Very comfortable.

They will serve you well, a lot of guys have had used ones last ages for them. Just watch the soles on concrete, as it doesn't do the soles good as it reacts with the rubber. Good news is that the boots will look awful, long before they give up the ghost. Happy treading, Shug