PDA

View Full Version : 2 night camp - no "supermarket" food.

KieranBroadfield
26-02-2014, 11:58 PM
HI Guys,

As a part of my YouTube channel, here in New Zealand, I am planning a solo camp for two nights, I'm going to take a small hexamine stove with me... and a pot..

But, I don't plan on taking any food with me.. I am hoping to live of the land.

I was thinking about getting a wild pig all bear grylls style, but it won't be likely as it will only be me.

There's lots of edibles here in NZ and also lots of wild animals

What do you guys think?

Any advice?

I will post the video here when it's up....

midas
27-02-2014, 11:19 AM
Watch those tusks,don't take any chances,they are like razors.have seen a calf slashed from "ankle to knee"by a fool who attempted to put his foot on a wounded pigs/boars head!to finish with his knife.Instead of putting another round into it.
When hunting in Oz the dogs used to wear Kevlar Vests,to protect them.Tho in Croatia the "baverian Hounds"quite often get cut up badly.Take care.

KieranBroadfield
27-02-2014, 08:15 PM
Watch those tusks,don't take any chances,they are like razors.have seen a calf slashed from "ankle to knee"by a fool who attempted to put his foot on a wounded pigs/boars head!to finish with his knife.Instead of putting another round into it.
When hunting in Oz the dogs used to wear Kevlar Vests,to protect them.Tho in Croatia the "baverian Hounds"quite often get cut up badly.Take care.

cheers for the advice! :P I won't be hunting alone anyway haha,

JonnyP
27-02-2014, 08:56 PM
I would advise taking some back-up food with you as a just in case.. Something like a rat pack. Take it sealed and aim to come back with it still sealed, but its there if you need it.. However, if you are not going far from home, then 2 nights should not be a problem if you do go hungry. Good for learning..

rik_uk3
27-02-2014, 09:22 PM
John is right, take back up food.

FishyFolk
27-02-2014, 09:26 PM
Bring a fishing rod...

TheDogsSlave
27-02-2014, 09:55 PM
If you take food even as a backup you'll eat it and 2 nights isn't long to go without food if you're unsuccessful in real terms. Take plenty of water though, or the means to purify some.

KieranBroadfield
27-02-2014, 10:16 PM
I will be taking a fishing rod.. well some line and hooks anyway :P I will take my stove, there is plenty of springs around so water shouldn't be too hard.

I probably will take a can of beans "just in case" - but the place I am going is only a ten minute drive from home, so I shouldn't die :S haha

TheDogsSlave
28-02-2014, 08:17 AM
Sounds good, let us know how you get one mate T^

KieranBroadfield
28-02-2014, 08:30 AM
Sounds good, let us know how you get one mate T^

a YouTube video will follow :)

KieranBroadfield
28-02-2014, 08:31 AM
I've decided I am just going take a little rice, "just in case" but, I plan on bringing it back :)

midas
28-02-2014, 11:33 AM
Have a good weekend.Stay safe!tho I.m sure it'll be safer than "MOTO Crossing.???lol.Or do u use the bikes to get "off road"?

Midge_Fodder
28-02-2014, 02:57 PM
There are plenty of good eels where you are, vicious but loads of meat on them. Like said before, take some rations with you just incase but only use them if you have to. Enjoy your trip bud

KieranBroadfield
28-02-2014, 07:20 PM
Have a good weekend.Stay safe!tho I.m sure it'll be safer than "MOTO Crossing.???lol.Or do u use the bikes to get "off road"?

haha, I won't be using the bike on this trip aha

midas
28-02-2014, 09:34 PM
If your going to catch EELS.take a hammer n a nails,and a pair of pliers to skin them!!!lol.
We used to catch them with a ball of wool,interlaced with worms.Their teeth get caught in wool!or if you have a sack or old jacket.Place bait in bottom of sack,tied to a brick..lightly stuff sack,bracken/straw, to keep open,etc.attach rope/para cord to mouth,leave overnite.will also catch Crayfish if there are any.Best of luck!

KieranBroadfield
28-02-2014, 09:56 PM
there's loads of crays in New Zealand :)
very strict size limits though