PDA

View Full Version : A good way to save money on waterproofing boots

Midge_Fodder
27-02-2014, 04:09 AM
It's a well known fact that we need to reproof our boots, but I've just found a gem of info to save some money. Did you know that Grangers make Cherry blossom waterproofing spray. It's actually Fabsil but half of the price. It's amazing what you find out if you read a label.

happybonzo
27-02-2014, 04:28 AM
many thanks :)

Midge_Fodder
27-02-2014, 04:32 AM
Yep couldn't believe it either, I bought a can for the better half, she has beige suede boots, and ran out of my usual grangers stuff. Read the tin and found it's the same stuff.

David_JAFO
27-02-2014, 04:39 AM
hello,
Aye Wilkinson's in our area have this in stock. Kiwi have a similar brand too. I've used the product on my Scooter boots (Desert boots) :wink:
Regards
David

Midge_Fodder
27-02-2014, 04:45 AM
I wonder if Elvis used it.......

flounder_al
03-03-2014, 09:38 AM
Would this Cherry Blossom spray be any good for using on my tent as well?

And is this the product you mentioned?

http://www.grangers.co.uk/product.cfm?cat=16&productid=25

Midge_Fodder
03-03-2014, 11:33 AM
No it's the aerosol variety bud. But tbh it should ok I'd imagine

Bernie
03-03-2014, 12:12 PM
I watched a video once and decided to give rendered fat a go. So I took the copious amount of fat from a roast one weekend and reduced it in an old tin. I smothered my leather gloves in the fat and, besides the smell, they seem very water proof. I'm not sure I'd like to do the same to some boots, but on the old leather gardening gloves that'd gone hard, they made them supple and soft and I'm sure they're waterproof. My hands smell a bit after using them though - makes me hungry. ;)

Midge_Fodder
03-03-2014, 12:13 PM
Aye that's basically dubbin if you add beeswax Bernie, I'm doing an experiment with adding birch oil to that mix as a conditioner

David_JAFO
03-03-2014, 02:49 PM
hello,
Grangers is ok for using on your tent. I've used it to waterproof a few outdoor items. Check how it goes after a first day/night out then decide for yourself if it'll stand up to long term use. The Cherry Blossom & Kiwi spray aren't as economical to use due to size, the Grangers aerosols are larger in capacity.
Regards
David

Would this Cherry Blossom spray be any good for using on my tent as well?
And is this the product you mentioned?
http://www.grangers.co.uk/product.cfm?cat=16&productid=25

flounder_al
03-03-2014, 05:04 PM
Cheers David