PDA

View Full Version : Hand line setups

NorthernYeti
04-03-2014, 03:52 PM
so as some of you know i live on the coast but does anyone else keep small a crab net, crab line and small handline in there bush bag?

headshot
04-03-2014, 04:49 PM
dunno about on the coast but they are handy to have about ones person whilst out walking the reservoir's ;)

ian c
04-03-2014, 07:12 PM
In my kit I carry a issued fishing kit plus a basic hand line that I made that I can use as a long line which is about 50mtrs long also when I go fishing with the Mrs we take a small crab net, I have set many a night line in rivers an streams when on exercises and when we go sea fishing I use my hand lines or set out a long line. by the way it is illegal to set night lines on any fresh water in the UK.

jus_young
04-03-2014, 10:17 PM
Also should not use hand lines for fishing. All lines should be from a rod.

ratcatcher
05-03-2014, 01:54 AM
not crab nets, but crayfish nets, and its ok to set them overnight

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y29/eastlondonbiker/IMAG0080.jpg (http://s2.photobucket.com/user/eastlondonbiker/media/IMAG0080.jpg.html)

Fraxinus
05-03-2014, 05:26 AM
Often use my hand line from my kayak to feed the fish on a days paddle (sea kayaking). Not caught ought with it yet.
I bought a couple of crayfish nets from ronnie s/shines then found out that type are illegal to use as they can trap mammals like water voles, so they are going to be used for crab and such, set out pre paddle and collected on return.
I do have a couple of tins of fishing kit that go in one pack or other, enough to make a nightline or hobo reel kit just in case, never used them though.

Rob.

FishyFolk
05-03-2014, 05:38 AM
From land I prefer using a fishing rod. In my boat I could use a handline, I guess, but I have a SIB so I prefer a rod there too, to get some distance between the sharp hooks and my rubber hull when I reel in, he he

Blood
04-06-2014, 08:16 PM
How do you guys rig your hobos? I have tried a few times but have had more trouble casting than anything. Never really done any fishing other than with feathers off a cheap boating rid when we was at anchor back in the RN

ian c
04-06-2014, 09:10 PM
One of my hand lines is on a plastic hand reel that I got when in Greece and another one which is only a plastic 0.5 lucosade bottle with the line wrapped around the bottle and the loose bits of tackle and rigs are kept inside the bottle I have mackerel feathers, hooks tied to nylon, barrel weights, swivels ect stored in a resealable plastic bags that help with getting the bits and pieces out of the bottle and cutting down on noise, as for casting I practised with throwing the line out with just the weight attached till I could do it without tangles, have a look on you tube for hand line fishing, Ray Mears has a video where he casts a hand line, hope this helps.

Blood
04-06-2014, 09:44 PM
No I've got all that sorted, it's the actual rig set up that I'm after ;)

Valantine
05-06-2014, 10:38 AM
There are many different rigs depending on what fish you're after, google search images is a good place to start

AJ
05-06-2014, 11:31 AM
As far as handlines on freshwater in the UK, from what I've read there is disagreement/controversy/rabidly held views on the legality. The grey area appears to be lack of definition of "rod" in the statutes. Clearly a line wrapped around a frame is not a rod, but how short does my rod have to be before somebody says its not a rod. I was planning on making a fishing set with a short bamboo dowel on a handle with a single eye attached at the end(to give longer casting range). It would be interesting to show it to people (police, wardens, fishermen) for opinions.

jus_young
05-06-2014, 11:42 AM
There was another thread on this issue where someone posted advice from EA or some other government body with clarification. A search of the forum may find it

Valantine
05-06-2014, 11:51 AM
Don't forget that fishing with a pole is legal in the UK

AJ
05-06-2014, 12:20 PM
There was another thread on this issue where someone posted advice from EA or some other government body with clarification. A search of the forum may find it

This may be it. Member Fish says the law says a rod under 36 inches is illegal. See below.

http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=93936

Thumbcrusher got this reply from the EA.

"Thank you for your enquiry regarding fishing rods and the definition of a rod. You are correct that handlines are illegal instruments for fishing in inland waters. The only exception to this is a crab line which may be used for the specific purpose of capturing crabs although this type of line has no hook attached. It is our opinion that any length of material used to tie a line and baited hook to and catch fish constitutes a rod. This could range from a walking stick, garden cane or tree branch through to a purpose made “fishing rod”. Therefore if you were to tie a handline to a rod it would be a legal fishing technique. You would require a National rod licence for this.
I hope this answers your question satisfactorily however if you would like to discuss this further please give me a call on the number below.
Kind regards"

Thanks, didn't mean to derail.

Valantine
05-06-2014, 02:47 PM
Here is the link to the rules page
https://www.gov.uk/freshwater-rod-fishing-rules

There is no mention of minimum rod length but you must have a relevant rod licence.

Blood
05-06-2014, 03:43 PM
I know full well they are illegal to use. Thank you for the reaffirmation.
However I was asking for YOUR set ups that have been successful and rigs you wouldn't have ever used because of the law........ ;)

Rasputin
06-06-2014, 01:33 AM
I know full well they are illegal to use. Thank you for the reaffirmation.
However I was asking for YOUR set ups that have been successful and rigs you wouldn't have ever used because of the law........ ;)

Mike, What fishing are you planning to do, lake ,river, sea etc the type of rig depends on what your doing. As for casting, unless you get plenty of weight on it you dont get very far, but thats not always a problem... for instance trout will feed and shelter next to the bank. So be specific old chap, Ken

Blood
06-06-2014, 06:46 AM
Ok it's seems I've entered a deep and mysterious world here. I will mainly be around small lakes, streams and rivers. Inland only for trout and other small fish.
I would use a dead line with feather lures on the coast as I've had success with that method in the past so I'm cool for that one.

This was meant to be more of a show n tell and we've gotten far off the path with the legislation and my stupidity getting in the way ;(

AJ
06-06-2014, 08:54 AM
I'd like to apologise again for that, Blood. So often I get annoyed at people who don't answer the OPs question but go off on a tangent and there I was doing it to you. I'd be very interested in a show and tell as I'm looking into starting a bit of fishing. Bring it on guys!

Valantine
06-06-2014, 08:58 AM
For trout and other predatory fish i would use a fly fishing lure with plenty of feather, but trout can be fickle so a selection of colours is recommended. Other than that small spinners also work well. For bait fishing remember the KISS acronym when hand lining and worms are still the best all rounder.

Rasputin
06-06-2014, 10:44 AM
A big fish will take a small lure but a small fish will be intimidated by a big lure so small is better IMO, personally Ive had more success with worms but if you cant find worms ? lure or fly. Its the same with hooks not too big, I use a 4 or 6 and a shot about a foot from the hook and a bit of tinfoil wrapped around the shot as an attractor (its not only mackrell that are attracted to shiny things) Trout are wily and nervous fish so stay low or hidden and dont make too much noise cos they hear/feel/see you . With a worm and shot I can get a reasonable cast but if you want to get ffurther out you have to increase the weight ! Simples, practice and experience. Try different variations in the garden to get your arm in. Personally I prefer to set up a trip on a springy branch that will set the hook for you, I also have a yoyo reel .ATB buddy, Ken

Blood
06-06-2014, 10:45 AM
Thanks ken, wise words from the mad monk as ever ;)

Valantine
06-06-2014, 12:34 PM
I have caught the likes of perch, trout and many sea fish on lures that would make you think they should be choking on them, so always be ready for a surprise take ;)
I have even lost a boat rod overboard complete with rod holder on one occasion, it's a hard lesson :ashamed:

Rasputin
06-06-2014, 01:09 PM
I have caught the likes of perch, trout and many sea fish on lures that would make you think they should be choking on them, so always be ready for a surprise take ;)
I have even lost a boat rod overboard complete with rod holder on one occasion, it's a hard lesson :ashamed:

Aw shucks ! thats a new....one that got away story, :evilgrin: lol

Valantine
06-06-2014, 04:20 PM
Another one was when i nearly lost a beach rod when a very large fish pulled it off the rest when it took the crab leaving me with only one of the crabs legs on my hook.
The said crab was pinching my bait at the time :oops:

ammo
06-06-2014, 06:11 PM
I've gone out hungry, and caught my dinner with a handline. For me they are essential bits of kit. It was the first method of fishing, that I was taught.
Grab the line about 6-12 inches from your weight. Unravel extra line watch it doesn't tangle. Start spinning the weighted hook end in an under arm motion, when you reach speed release.
I once watched my uncle drop a line over the boat and instantly start winding in. I asked "what's wrong", to which replied. "nothing, ive got a bite" quicker than the time it took me to write this line.
I love them. I've got a few, some "H" shape some oval. Two i can place a pole in the end and hang my line through.

Chubbs
07-06-2014, 11:26 AM
If I were going to use a handline I would start with either 8/10Ib mono or if I have it, some braid.

Where in the water you want to fish will depend on what rig you will need. For bottom fishing I would use a basic running ledger rig. All this can be is a weight threaded onto the line, then a bead and finally a swivel tied to the end of the line. On the end of the swivel on the other side attatch thinner line, maybe 6lb about 12 - 15 inches long finished with a hook. A nice juicy worm on the hook will tempt any fish passing by.

Fishing the top of the water you will be better off with a system that includes a small float weighted with some shot. Use the same sort of hooklength with a small hook and you shouldn't have much problem catching roach.

AJ
07-06-2014, 02:35 PM
Ammo, you made me remember this.....YouTube of a guy making a hobo setup. At 3:40 he casts and catches a fish! lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UavI4ApwkA0&app=desktop

Rasputin
07-06-2014, 02:58 PM
Ammo, you made me remember this.....YouTube of a guy making a hobo setup. At 3:40 he casts and catches a fish! lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UavI4ApwkA0&app=desktop

Oh that is the most laid back fish I ever saw, must be one o them Hippy fish

Valantine
07-06-2014, 04:43 PM
Wish i could chill out like that bass or was it suicidal ;)