PDA

View Full Version : New water filtration method

MikeWilkinson
04-03-2014, 08:16 PM
Interesting article on using wood as a water filter.

http://www.iflscience.com/environment/simple-tree-branch-filter-makes-dirty-water-drinkable

Link may contain adult language/content

MikeWilkinson
04-03-2014, 08:33 PM
The original article is here
http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2014/need-a-water-filter-peel-a-tree-branch-0226.html

Tigger004
04-03-2014, 09:10 PM
Interesting, thanks Mike

Rasputin
04-03-2014, 11:58 PM
Away to go Mike, nice find T^

midas
05-03-2014, 10:39 AM
Interesting article on using wood as a water filter.

http://www.iflscience.com/environment/simple-tree-branch-filter-makes-dirty-water-drinkable

Moderators has this site slipped thro your censoring??for the "YOUNGER READER???????"Several Naughty words!!!!!

jus_young
05-03-2014, 10:50 AM
Moderators has this site slipped thro your censoring??for the "YOUNGER READER???????"Several Naughty words!!!!!

Quite possibly, if we watched every video and read every link then we would all be broke, divorced and homeless.

Thanks for bringing to our attention, a warning is in place and will be viewed later.

Adam Savage
05-03-2014, 10:52 AM

Noted Midas.
Content from other sites is beyond our control, but it would seem appropriate to advise viewers that may click on the link.

Silverback
05-03-2014, 10:54 AM

Moderating and admin team are not responsible for outside content - and we do moderate on a voluntary basis in between things like working, eating and sleeping. We could of course allow the site to degenerate into nothing more than a list of profanities interspersed with the odd picture of mushrooms if you would prefer Mike ?

midas
05-03-2014, 11:03 AM
Not a "Magic Mushroom"wayne.lol.Keep up the good work!mike.

MikeWilkinson
05-03-2014, 11:09 AM
Apologise I refer to the site as IFLS that often I forget that its name contains a profanity. My intention was not offend but bring to light some interesting research into a cheap filtration system. Again apologies. I will be more vigilant in my posts from this site in the future.

Adam Savage
05-03-2014, 11:12 AM
Apologise I refer to the site as IFLS that often I forget that its name contains a profanity. My intention was not offend but bring to light some interesting research into a cheap filtration system. Again apologies. I will be more vigilant in my posts from this site in the future.

Those of us that know you Mike, also know you're the least likely person on the forum to post profanity, or upset anyone :)

Silverback
05-03-2014, 11:15 AM
Not a "Magic Mushroom"wayne.lol.Keep up the good work!mike.

It would be so much easier if folks behaved themselves in the first place - especially those who are old enough to know better....

Silverback
05-03-2014, 11:16 AM
Those of us that know you Mike, also know you're the least likely person on the forum to post profanity, or upset anyone :)

Seconded

Ashley Cawley
05-03-2014, 12:25 PM
Thanks Mike - Interesting, I knew Trees had all the answers!

Rasputin
05-03-2014, 12:33 PM

Mike, I for one would not want to miss great snippets of info for language that most 4yr olds > use daily in the school yard, anyone who thinks otherwise is in Ostrich mode. I am not advocating it being used on the forum, far from it, but it can be taken to extremes. Everyone who knows you Mike knows you wouldnt do it intentionally, so as far as Ime concerned no real harm done. :confused2: * Between me starting this and posting (got interupted) most of what I said has become superfluous, soz but it still applies, Ken

Adam Savage
05-03-2014, 12:53 PM
I knew Trees had all the answers!

I think there is more truth in that statement than scientists realise Ash. :)

MikeWilkinson
05-03-2014, 12:54 PM
Thanks Mike - Interesting, I knew Trees had all the answers!

Think I might experiment with some birch! :D

Midge_Fodder
09-03-2014, 03:58 PM
It makes complete sense to me, I recon it's not new in anyway. It's probably part of that hoard of info that we've lost, as nobody used or passed it on. I work on the principle that in the whisky industry, the angels share is alcohol evaporated through the cooperage as vapour. So wood must be a semi permeable membrane, much like Visking tubing used for dialysis. If you put a glucose solution in the tubing, water will pass through but the glucose stays in the tube. Only problem I can see with it compared to say charcoal or peat filtration, is that it would be a long process. I think it would run far to slowly to be much use as it would be seep filtration not trickle filtration.

Adam Savage
09-03-2014, 04:18 PM
Only problem I can see with it compared to say charcoal or peat filtration, is that it would be a long process. I think it would run far to slowly to be much use as it would be seep filtration not trickle filtration.

I'm sure some wood would be faster than others, as you know how fast birch sap and pine resin can flow at the right time of year, but it's probably still going to be pretty slow compared to other methods, as you say.

Midge_Fodder
09-03-2014, 04:31 PM
Aye it's the capillary action that causes the surging. Wood structure will definitely have something to do with it. Oak would be a terrible filter as the pores are so large, however it would run relatively fast. Something like beech, which is denser and far less open pored, would run slower than a week in the jail but filter better.

MikeWilkinson
09-03-2014, 06:06 PM
If you read the original article a one inch long dowel is capable of producing 4 litres a day. So not so slow considering you are filtering down to 70 to 50nm. You are right about the denser wood types and again this is in the article. You could also use a smaller dowel as most of the filtration is in the top 5-10mm.

Midge_Fodder
09-03-2014, 07:04 PM
Aye that would work. So realistically, to make it a usefull method you'd have to make something like a funnel with a dowel jammed in so you have a reservoir. That way what you put in could be filtered directly into a bottle ect.

MikeWilkinson
09-03-2014, 07:31 PM
I was thinking wedge the dowel into a platy tube and gravity feed to pot.

Midge_Fodder
12-03-2014, 09:57 PM
That works too.

blacksmith
23-03-2014, 12:27 PM
T^