PDA

View Full Version : day hike kit

Dave ward
17-03-2014, 06:47 AM
Heres my new video guys, got back from a walk round the peak district and made this vid grab bag/day hike kit: https://youtu.be/x1MTB6wYOTY

Silverback
17-03-2014, 07:29 AM
Nice to see you taking a torch even on a 3 hour bimble. Do you carry a whistle Dave ? I know some are built in to ferro rods like Light My Fire...The distress signal with a whistle or torch is six blasts or flahes at one minute intervals until you're rescued.

Dave ward
17-03-2014, 07:47 AM
Hi mate! yeah the torch is a must :) I do carry a whistle, I have a paracord neck lanyard with a swiss army knife and a light my fire scout 2.0 on it which as you said has a whistle on it. I find the whistle works really well on it.

FishyFolk
17-03-2014, 08:59 AM
Not so very different from my kit that. I just giot miore cooking stuff. And do the same as you. When I pack for an overnighetr I jsut throw the whole thing in the Bergen, and I got all I need to cook.
I always keep it packed so it's just a grab and go when I fell like some time out in the muck :-)

Dave ward
17-03-2014, 09:21 AM
Hi pal, cant beat just throwing it in your main pack and going out for a walk :)

tent peg
18-03-2014, 06:05 AM
I need to cut my kit, I'm carrying too much.

FishyFolk
18-03-2014, 07:41 AM
I need to cut my kit, I'm carrying too much.

A day kit may vary a lot depending on where you go, the weather, and the terrain you are in. Dave just showed us his core kit. I bet he adds to it or not, depending on the situation for that trip.

Dave ward
18-03-2014, 09:42 AM
Yeah bud dont worry about the amount of kit you take etc I do add to it if im going for extra long walks etc you've got to have a core set up as a basic grab and go bag then your free to add depending on your plans etc I find. Go with whats right for you :)

tent peg
18-03-2014, 10:58 AM
Yeah bud dont worry about the amount of kit you take etc I do add to it if im going for extra long walks etc you've got to have a core set up as a basic grab and go bag then your free to add depending on your plans etc I find. Go with whats right for you :)

Was more thinking aloud - not specifically about your kit - watching other peoples stuff always make me want to go through my own!

FishyFolk
18-03-2014, 11:22 AM
Was more thinking aloud - not specifically about Dave's kit - watching other peoples stuff always make me want to go through my own!

I am the same and it has cost me more money than I really like to think abaout, ha ha

Dave ward
18-03-2014, 02:31 PM
Thats the problem with watching kit videos, i always want to buy more but the best thing about going out with your gear is you soon learn what you really need/use and what you dont.

tent peg
18-03-2014, 05:23 PM
What's your favourite bit of kit for a hike Dave?

jus_young
18-03-2014, 07:31 PM
What make of bag is that? It looks somewhat larger than the Snugpak Responsepak that I currently struggle with size wise. Also really don't want to fork out a small fortune for Maxpedition stuff.

FishyFolk
18-03-2014, 07:46 PM
What make of bag is that? It looks somewhat larger than the Snugpak Responsepak that I currently struggle with size wise. Also really don't want to fork out a small fortune for Maxpedition stuff.

Plenty of OK quality chinese copies on a certain auction site. I have had a couple for 2 years now, and one have seen extensive use. No signs of it failing in any way so far...

Dave ward
18-03-2014, 08:04 PM
Depends on how you mean favourite? For comfort its got to the pocket rocket and brew kit, nothing better than getting it going to sit and take it all in :) if you ment kit as in what id choose out of all of it in the video.....think id have to say as long as I got shelter and a fire kit thats a good start...hope that answers it for you?? If not let me know, its great to share ideas etc

Dave ward
18-03-2014, 08:07 PM
Heres a link to the bag...definitely recommend it! http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00AX52320/ref=pd_aw_sbs_3?pi=SS115

Dave ward
18-03-2014, 08:11 PM
It is just abit bigger than a snugpak (selling point for me) definitely worth the £10! It has the shoulder strap but also a belt strap that can be tucked away if you prefer to shoulder carry.

tent peg
18-03-2014, 09:33 PM
[QUOTE=Dave ward;111259]Depends on how you mean favourite? For comfort its got to the pocket rocket and brew kit, nothing better than getting it going to sit and take it all in :) if you ment kit as in what id choose out of all of it in the video.....think id have to say as long as I got shelter and a fire kit thats a good start...hope that answers it for you?? If not let me know, its great to share ideas etc[
/QUOTE]

totally, at the minute I've become very attached to my bothy bag. after thinking they were daft for ages, I've now decided that it is my most versatile of of kit...