PDA

View Full Version : knives and the law

mrj87
11-05-2014, 11:05 AM
Hey,

I am thinking about buying a bushcraft knife to practice bushcraft but the law in the UK is very strict. Has anyone got any advice about what type of knives are allowed if i was gonna just go and practice in the woods. I understand only a penknife with a blade less than 3 inches is allowed or you could get arrested?

Matt

headshot
11-05-2014, 12:30 PM
i'm no expert and our laws arent quite as strict as yours regarding knives but the bottom line is if you have good reason to be carrying one then thats within the law ie for work,bushcraft,hunting etc.
if you have been out in the woods and pop in the shop on the way home with your knife on your belt then you will get in bother as you have no need for a knife and are carrying it in a public place,the same if you went to the pub with your knife in your pocket,its basic commen sense really.
thats as much of the law i need here but i'm sure you will get some helpfull replys regarding the law to the letter...good luck..atb kev

Ehecatl
11-05-2014, 12:43 PM
Hi Matt.

There's been lots of discussion on this topic previously. Try this thread --> http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?5121-Under-age-bushcraft-knife-ownership

Hope this helps,

M@

Tony1948
11-05-2014, 01:28 PM
i'm no expert and our laws arent quite as strict as yours regarding knives but the bottom line is if you have good reason to be carrying one then thats within the law ie for work,bushcraft,hunting etc.
if you have been out in the woods and pop in the shop on the way home with your knife on your belt then you will get in bother as you have no need for a knife and are carrying it in a public place,the same if you went to the pub with your knife in your pocket,its basic commen sense really.
thats as much of the law i need here but i'm sure you will get some helpfull replys regarding the law to the letter...good luck..atb kev.......I agree 100% with this statment,and remember you'r knife is a Tool not a weapen

Bushcraftforbeginers
06-01-2015, 10:58 PM
I've brought this up with my local PCSO who said if u have all ur camping, bushcraft gear as along as u don't then go into the town centre with it then u should be fine but if u are unsure it's best just to inquire at ur local police station

Ichneumon
07-01-2015, 09:51 AM
As has been said previously, there are other threads covering this topic.The law only applies to public places. If you are on private land with the landowners permission then you can have any knife you want, you only have to be careful once you take it off the property.