PDA

View Full Version : best size tarp for bivi bag use?

Big T
11-05-2014, 03:16 PM
Hiya,

I'm getting an issued bivi bag off of a mate and was looking at getting a basha, after some research it seems that a TW or DD tarp (prob DD as the TW website tarp section doesn't work!)is a better bet as it is lighter than a basha. Just wondering what size would be best for use with a bivi bag? Don't wanna go to big and heavy but don't want to get one that's too small either! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Ferrell freddy
11-05-2014, 03:51 PM
An issue basha (approx 7x8ft) is sufficient and made for the issue Bivvy bag, with this in mind, if you aim for something this size from DD you will get something lighter with a smaller pack size than the issue basha! (Y)

Big T
11-05-2014, 03:57 PM
Cheers dude!

Big T
11-05-2014, 04:04 PM
Might go for a 3m x 3m as it will give me a little more room. Cheers for the advice mate, will have to hook up soon!

Chubbs
11-05-2014, 04:17 PM
If you opt for the TW mate, send him an email and tell him somethings wrong with the site. You are better off dealing with him direct as it will be cheaper than his Ebay site.

Big T
11-05-2014, 04:19 PM
Ok mate. The DD is £35, might just go for that as its easier as their website is working! The TW site didn't list any items when you click on the tarp section. Was like this a few weeks ago too!

Chubbs
11-05-2014, 05:14 PM
Just contacted Neil at TW and all the tarps are out of stock. He has a load of new stuff coming in next Wednesday/Thursday where there is to be some new lines and tweaked other stuff.

It might be better to hold on a bit and see what they have to offer.

Big T
11-05-2014, 05:19 PM
Ok, cheers dude!

Thumbcrusher
12-05-2014, 11:23 AM
Have you seen the new DD superlight tarp! looks good but a little pricier than their usual stuff but still comparable to other makes normal prices. Packs doen very small by looks of it! http://www.ddhammocks.com/product/DD_Superlight_Tarp

Chubbs
12-05-2014, 12:13 PM
Have you seen the new DD superlight tarp! looks good but a little pricier than their usual stuff but still comparable to other makes normal prices. Packs doen very small by looks of it! http://www.ddhammocks.com/product/DD_Superlight_Tarp

I haven't really been a fan of DD Hammocks and bought most of my gear from TW. Just looked at their site and I can quite honestly say that I'm impressed with their new gear.

I thought the ultralight tarp was a little expensive until I read that the Whoopie Sling suspension kit is included in the price.

ian c
12-05-2014, 02:21 PM
Have just looked at ultralight tarp but all I could see included in the kit is 4 tent pegs and guy lines.

Chubbs
12-05-2014, 04:26 PM
Have just looked at ultralight tarp but all I could see included in the kit is 4 tent pegs and guy lines.

You are right mate. Its me that can't read properly, the Whoopie Slings came with hammock.