PDA

View Full Version : Got stoves?

JEEP
13-02-2011, 10:49 AM
Let's see them then...

Just spending this snowy sunday morning cleaning and maintaining my cookwear. With everything being all shiny now, I trought I would snap a few photos.

As some of you will know, I have worked in outdoor stores for a bit over three years now. I have a habit of buying stuff, in order to take it home and test it myself - imho. the only real way to be able to say anything qualified about a product.
These stoves are, for the most part, the "keepers"; the ones I have decided to keep after playing around with them for a while. Those I do not keep are usually given away - or, if they are free samples, returned to the supplier or binned.

I'll start out with my meths stoves:

From Left to Right:

Trangia Mini 28T. A cheap little stove, not as effective as a 27 or 25. But, perfect for a quick brew or heating water for a boil-in-bag meal. Packs small, weighs a mere 330g.
Of all my stoves, the Trangia Mini is the one I carry and use the most - either as my main stove on short trips or as a back-up stove on longer trips.
Imho. this stove is a highly overlooked one, which should be in the kit of any outdoorsman.
I have never used the small teflon frying pan for anything other than a lid btw.
I use mine with a cheap MSR foil windscreen, held together with a large paper clip.

Tatonka Multiset. A good Trangia 25 copy, in many ways better than a genuine Trangia. The burner, pots, pan and optional kettle (called the H2O pot by Tatonka) are all 18/8 stainless steel, making them a lot more sturdy than the Trangia aluminium pots - aswell as much more versatile, corrosion- and heat resistant. Heavier than a Trangia, but if you have decided to carry a full size Trangia in the first place, weight is not your main concern I guess.

Trangia Triangle. Small colapsable stand for a Trangia burner. I am still testing this one. So far I like it, though I would like it to be able to take smaller pots, than the diameter of the pot stands allow. This is a lightweight piece of gear (115g), not something I would carry around with a large pot.
A nice way to use the Triangle, is to carry it in your Trangia 25, together with an extra burner. This way you have the option of having two pots on at the same time. In order to do that, you will have to leave your kettle at home though.

Trangia 25 UL/HA w. the frying pan exchanged with a teflon one. The classic full size Trangia 25, with a teflon pan, hardanodized pots and a multidisc. Not much to say here; not too heavy, easy to use, sturdy, stabile... Well; it's a Trangia :)
This is the set I break out when I know I will be doing some serious cooking when out and about.

Trangia 0,5L fuel flask. Imho. the only way to carry meths in the field. The flask is stroger than the classic aluminium fuel bottle - and the ingenius safety valve makes it both easy and very safe to pour from.

JEEP
13-02-2011, 11:49 AM
Multifuel-/gasoline stoves:

I have taken a liking to this type of stove lately, especially when I am camping out during the cold seasons.

From left to right:

Optimus NOVA+ A quite new addition to my collection, but one I know will be a keeper. It is not the most effective - nor the hottest burning - multifuel burner out there. But it pack small and is fairly lighweight - without compromising stability and ruggedness of the burner.
The NOVA+ burns white gas (which I mostly use), kerosene, unleaded gasoline and diesel.
I spend quite a lot of time researching before deciding upon the NOVA+ - the only real runner-up was the Primus OmniFuel.

Optimus Svea 123R (also known as the Svea hunter/climber). Again; a fairly new acquisition. This little stove - which is the oldest camping stove still in production btw. - is best described by my favourite nickname for it; The Little Stove that Could!
There are definitly lighter, faster, hotter burning, quieter, more fuel effective, cheaper, easier, etc. gasoline stoves out here - but none with the sheer charm, compactness, ruggedness and stability of the Svea 123R!
The Svea 123R is an old time favourite of mountaineers, needing a small and compact stove, campable of functioning at high altitides, in strong winds and at low temperatures.
The stove is a self pressurising stove, taking a bit more practice to prime properly. Though; I managed to get mine running, at around 5 deg. C, the first time I tried it.
This stove will be a serious competitor to my Trangia Mini 28T in the coming season.

Providus+ Multifuel burner. This fairly cheap Italian made multifuel burner, given to me as a sample by one of our suppliers. This burner has been a somewhat mixed expereince for me.
The pump is a copy of the old Optimus NOVA pump, the burner is copied from the MSR Whisperlite and the legs look and function very much like the ones on the Primus OmniFuel.
I have, though, four gripes with this burner:
1. The Providus + is maybe a tad less fuel efficient than most of the bigger brands. On all other accounts is is a really good burner, capable of burning white gas, kerosene, unleaded gasoline, diesel and butane cartridges - depending on which of the two supplied jets you have installed.
2. The cap on the fuel bottle is not gasoline resistant. The bottom half of the threading of the cap is eaten up by white gas stored in the bottle. That is simply not good enough - and potentially very dangerous!
3. In order to clean the jets you have to take the burner apart, most other burners on the market has smart ways of cleaning the jets without having to take the burner apart.
4. The burner comes with no real instructions or users manual at all. Considering that is multifuel burner takes some skill and practice to operate - and can be dangerous if not operated correctly - this is quite a big issue.
The burner is actually quiter and lighter than my Optimus NOVA+ But, compared side by side, there is no doubt that the NOVA+ will outlast the Providus+ for decades. The Providus+ is not less sturdy than the MSR Whisperlite (actually the Providus+' all metal pump should be a lot more stabile than the plastic one of the Whisperlite), but compared to any Optimus or Primus multifuel burner, the Providus+ falls short in materials, and build quality.

Fletching
13-02-2011, 01:20 PM
Nice reviews mate!

JEEP
13-02-2011, 01:33 PM
Bits and bobs:

I have a lot more cooking gear, but this is what I use on a regular basis.

Back, from left to right:

Yet another aluminium foil windscreen. You tend to pick up a lot of those. Cheap, versatile and suprisingly sturdy.

Big stainless steel "cowboy" mug. Picked up from a wild west re-enactment suppler in Germany. Large enough to cook for one person.

Bushcooker. I really like the concept of these wood-gas stoves - and I try to bring it as my main cooker as often as possible.
It takes more work and is slower than a meths- or multifuel stove, but it gives me a very gratifying feeling to use it.
My only complaint is price vs. quality; considering the high price of this product, I had expected something better (in terms of materials and finish), than what I would be able to make myself from a couple of old tins.

12 cm. Zebra Billy Can. A bushcraft classic, made famous by Ray Mears. Not much to say; tough as nails, cheap (at least it used to be) and - well, now I said it - heavy.
I like my Zebra Billy Can, but I think I like it for the wrong reasons; I like it because it is an iconic piece of gear, used by Ray Mears. I do not, however, like it because it has any advantage over any other billy can/small pot I have ever had or used - actually, aside from the weight, it has three major issues going against it:
1. It is hard to pour water from it, without spilling. To me that is a nuicance - aswell as a real problem if you have limited supplies of water (ok, you rarely have that problem in Scandinavia).
2. The handle, which will be replaced by a piece of brake wire at some point, keeps falling down, causing it to get too hot to handle. The white plastic thingies, that comes with the can, helps a lot on this problem - but they won't last forever when the pot is used over fire.
3. The handle on the lid gets as hot as the lid itself, I would much have preferred a knob or a folding handle.
I still use the Zebra Billy Can though, but mostly with my Bushcooker - rarely over a fire. There I use the pots from my Tatonka Multiset.

Tatonka Handle Mug. This stainless steel mug is imho. a must have. I use it mostly to drink from, but when travelling really light, it has been used as my main cooking pot a few times. I use it a lot, when scouting, for heating water for a quick brew, in the embers of our campfire.
Like all Tatonka's 18/8 stainless products this is virtually unbreakable and it can be placed directly in a fire without taking any damage.
I guess this product works, in many ways, like the popular crusader cup - with slightly longer handles, making it more convenient to use over an open fire.

Fire-Maple hardanodized aluminium cookset. Fire-Maple is a virtually unknown Chinese manufacturer of camping goods. I only have personal experience with their pots though - but a very good experience that is.
I have compared this set to both the Optimus Terra Weekend and the Primus Trek Kettle, both costing more than three times of what the Fire-Maple does. Aside from a slightly better finish, what you get for your extra money, is the brand name. Sad, but true.
I am usually a "go for the big brands - you get what you pay for" kind of person, when it comes to outdoor gear - but this is at least one exception.

Front, from left to right:

GSI polycarbonate folding cooking utensils. Ok, maybe slightly poshcrafty - but really convenient and easier to clean than wood. I bought these together with the teflon pan for my trangia. I usually only carry these together with my "heavy" cooking sets, like the Trangia or Tatonka Multiset.

No-brand spring retained pot gripper. This is the classic pot gripper, that used to be available in every outdoor store here in Denmark, now it is almost impossible to find. I prefer it over the folding pot grippers from Trangia and tatonka.

Spork XM (extra medium). A larger version of the Light My Fire Spork (one regular sized shown for comparison). This is my main cooking- and eating utensil when packing light. Long enough to reach the bottom of a boil-in-bag meal and sturdy enough to stir a stew. One of my favourite pieces of gear.

JEEP
13-02-2011, 01:40 PM
Nice reviews mate!

Thanks. I thought, that since I was getting all the gear out anyway, I could might aswell snap a few photos.

JEEP
13-02-2011, 01:54 PM
Everything packed up nicely, ready for adventure :)

The Optimus Svea 123R is in the Fire-Mable set and the Bushcooker in the Zebra Billy Can.

paul standley
13-02-2011, 06:48 PM
Some serious investment there Jeep... Very nice kit and very...very shinny, had to put my shades on to view :-)

Paul

JEEP
13-02-2011, 07:40 PM
Not too bad an investment as one might initially think actually. Being in the business, I get the stuff at some quite diffrent prices, when they are for myself.

Quite shiny yes, having just cleaned everything up and all. You should, however, see the same gear around the end of the season :)

Notredame11211
13-02-2011, 11:57 PM
Wow, Nice reviews! You have some very nice cookware there Jakob

JEEP
14-02-2011, 07:33 AM
Thanks

JEEP
15-02-2011, 08:21 AM
The Providus+ multifuel burner has now been redrawn from the Danish market, untill the problem with the fuel bottle cap is solved.

Adam Savage
11-03-2011, 10:34 PM
they hardly look used lol, I can never get my stoves and pots looking that shiny, no matter how hard i scrub. Nice kit there, looking into getting a remote canister or petrol stove, but don't want to spend a fortune. Any suggestions Jakob?

Martin
11-03-2011, 10:47 PM
Got myself one of these a couple of years ago. Multifuel Stove (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Multi-fuel-Camping-stove-Cooking-Stove-Outdoor-Burner-/250588172788?pt=UK_SportingGoods_Camping_CookingSu pplies_ET&hash=item3a583811f4).

I was sceptical at the time, especially as they were a lot cheaper then, but it's a brilliant little stove, runs on unleaded fuel amonst loads of other stuff and packs down pretty small.

Martin

Adam Savage
11-03-2011, 11:30 PM
Wow, thanks martin, I shall go peruse the item, Is it shiny, I hope it's shiny lol

Adam Savage
11-03-2011, 11:33 PM
yes, I saw that when I was looking before, and like you said I was sceptical when I saw it, but if you have used it and found it to be fine I may give it a go, Thanks again mate.

Adam

JEEP
12-03-2011, 08:30 AM
Martin's stove is a copy of the Optimus NOVA. From the photos it looks to be an allright copy - but, as always when dealing with a device that runs on pressurised highly flammable liquids: Go for the big brands! The main fault of cheaper multifuel burners are often leaks where the different parts are joined, a lit stove with a leaking fuel supply is potentially very dangerous.

Even the big brands make faulty burners from time to time though; last year, Optimus had to recall more than a year's production of NOVA and NOVA+ stoves due to faulty o-rings. I got mine just after they opened up for sale again, mine had a sticker saying that it had gone through secondary inspection and replacement of the o-rings.

swkieran
12-03-2011, 09:40 AM
top reviews jacob :)

Martin
12-03-2011, 10:19 AM
I understand what you're saying Jakob and, like I said, I was sceptical, but I've really not had any problems with this stove. In fact, due to my ignorance of using this type of stove, when I first got it I pumped it up turned it up to maximum and tried to light it. Now, this resulted in a sort of fire ball which wouldn't have been so bad but I was trying it out in my garage at home. :( This also resulted in my damaging the fuel hose because it caught fire but a quick email to the seller saw them send me a replacement hose within a few days, free of charge, from Hong Kong. You've just got to love those Chinese guys, great cooks and very generous.

Once I learned my lesson (the house is still intact) I made sure I primed it properly and since then I've not had a minute's trouble with the stove. It's very reliable and easy to use, although it is a bit noisy when it's running.

Anyway, maybe I've been lucky but I can vouch for my copy and for the seller who gave me very good service.

Martin

Ben Casey
12-03-2011, 12:43 PM
Maybe a daft question here and maybe I need to go and try it but has anyone ever put petrol in a Triangia Meths Burner if so what happend?
If not will I be the first if Iam I will let yous know if it blows or not.

Ben

Fletching
12-03-2011, 12:47 PM
Maybe a daft question here and maybe I need to go and try it but has anyone ever put petrol in a Triangia Meths Burner if so what happend?

Ben

'wooomph' is the description you'll be looking for later.

http://www.trangia.se/english/3652.directions_for_use.html

...get the list of fuels.

Steve

JEEP
12-03-2011, 12:52 PM

Ben

It'll take your eyebrows away....

Ben Casey
12-03-2011, 12:55 PM
It'll take your eyebrows away....

I was going to test with a little bit not a lot LOL and had taken that into considreation while trying :)

Martin
12-03-2011, 12:57 PM
Show us some pictures Ben. Video would be even better; this we've really got to see. :D

Martin

Ben Casey
12-03-2011, 01:02 PM
Show us some pictures Ben. Video would be even better; this we've really got to see. :D

Martin

There is some waste land near by and I think Ken is up for a meet in the morning so it could brigthen up a Sunday LOL

Martin
12-03-2011, 01:11 PM
lol, wasteland is for wimps. What's wrong with the kitchen table? :p

Martin

Ben Casey
12-03-2011, 01:15 PM
lol, wasteland is for wimps. What's wrong with the kitchen table? :p

Martin

It took me nearly a year to get this place so I cant go burning it down and the girl upstairs could get upset and you know what women are like :) Thats my excuse anyway I would rather face the police than an angry woman LOL And if I set myself on fire it will be more fun on the vid to see me running around I would have more space :(

swkieran
12-03-2011, 01:58 PM
training video for the suffolk fire brigade :) lol

Ben Casey
12-03-2011, 03:26 PM
training video for the suffolk fire brigade :) lol

Never thought of that wonder if they will pay me LOL

JEEP
12-03-2011, 03:44 PM
If you try to to burn petrol in a Trangia burner, make sure to let it burn out completely. Trying to extinguish the flame with the simmering ring will cause preassure to build up in the burner, possibly causing an explosion. But, really; I would strongly advice against burning anything else than alcohol in an alcohol stove. Aside from it being hazardous, it is not very efficient - and quite messy - to burn unpressurised petrol, you will end up with a very black burner and some equally black pots.

If you want a good a good stove that burns petrol, get an Optimus Svea 123R; http://www.optimusstoves.com/seen/optimus-products/products/katadynshopconnect/optimus-outdoor-kocher/optimus-svea/ Learn how to prime and operate it - and you are set for life.

Adam Savage
12-03-2011, 03:51 PM
There is some waste land near by and I think Ken is up for a meet in the morning so it could brigthen up a Sunday LOL

Red sky in morning....Suffolk's on fire...lol

Martin
12-03-2011, 04:19 PM
Yeah, but with that attitude, we would never have discovered the new world. Can't believe such a cautious approach from the Viking race. :D

Martin

Ben Casey
12-03-2011, 05:32 PM
Anyone heard from my mate Ken he seems very quiet at the moment LOL I dont think he knows what is planned in the morning I will drop him a txt :)

JEEP
12-03-2011, 05:39 PM
Yeah, but with that attitude, we would never have discovered the new world. Can't believe such a cautious approach from the Viking race. :D

Martin

You said to the man who once lost his beard and long hair, from blowing up half a pound of blackpowder directly into his face...

Ben Casey
12-03-2011, 05:43 PM
You said to the man who once lost his beard and long hair, from blowing up half a pound of blackpowder directly into his face...

I knew a Para that done that once he didnt hair the hair and beard tho and when he came out of the smoke it was so funny :)

JEEP
12-03-2011, 05:50 PM
I got an antique powderhorn, complete with contents. I scraped the powder out and made a few burn tests at a few grams each. After the tests I decided it was safe to burn the rest all at once - it wasn't...

Btw. I did this the day before my girlfriends (now fiancee) birthday, where I was going to meet most of her family for the first time :D

I am really glad I wear reading glasses though, without them I would have lost my eyes.

Ben Casey
12-03-2011, 06:00 PM
I got an antique powderhorn, complete with contents. I scraped the powder out and made a few burn tests at a few grams each. After the tests I decided it was safe to burn the rest all at once - it wasn't...

Btw. I did this the day before my girlfriends (now fiancee) birthday, where I was going to meet most of her family for the first time :D

I am really glad I wear reading glasses though, without them I would have lost my eyes.

You where lucky then so thats cool but thinking about it what we did then was a bit stupid we had a few rounds (Bullets) and a detonater :( We emptied the rounds into a plastic bag and put the det in it with the wires poking out. He bent over and tried to bend the wires to touch a small battery and then all of a sudden boom. The guy came out covered in dust and all sorts arms open wide and fell on the bed. Sorry to say that in my youth we never thought about first aid and stuff but all fell over laughing.

Luckily he was okay tho :)

Martin
12-03-2011, 06:08 PM
You see what I mean?! He did it with gunpowder and got away with it. You're only going to be using a little bit of petrol (unleaded at that), what could possibly go wrong? :evilgrin::evilgrin::evilgrin:

Martin

Ben Casey
12-03-2011, 06:11 PM
You see what I mean?! He did it with gunpowder and got away with it. You're only going to be using a little bit of petrol (unleaded at that), what could possibly go wrong? :evilgrin::evilgrin::evilgrin:

Martin

I know I mean I wont be standing at the petrol pump :) Mind you it would save a drive LOL

Ben Casey
14-03-2011, 04:18 PM
Hi All I didnt get to test yesterday but will try for Wednesday :)

Fletching
14-03-2011, 04:30 PM
When I lived in Seth Efrica many years ago, I had a job in Roodepoort down a goldmine (yes, really). You can imagine the kind of fun we had with detonators and post boxes (the ones you have outside your house). It was a blast. :)

Adam Savage
14-03-2011, 04:31 PM
you got a fire blanket, powder extinguisher and nomex suit ready? ;)

Ben Casey
14-03-2011, 06:32 PM
you got a fire blanket, powder extinguisher and nomex suit ready? ;)

Motto in life is try anything once and if you dont like it don't do it again :) It will be worth a try I have seen worse happen LOL

Adam Savage
14-03-2011, 06:40 PM
there is that I guess lol

Ben Casey
18-03-2011, 04:35 PM
Right been and tested the Meths Stove with Petrol I think thats what I was going to do :) I'm still alive anyway LOL I took some pictures not very good tho and I will thry and get them on here :) I lite it with a match at first and it made a sort of Whoof sound and flames appeared not as bad as I thought. Anyway it seem to burn ok so I put the lid on it to put it out that worked. I then relit it when it had cooled a bit with a lighter and the same happend :) I did not leave it to burn for to long but it seemed ok and next time I'm out away from houses I will do another test and leave it to fully burn to see if it explodes or if I can get a brew of it :)
If that all goes ok I might carry out some mixture tests with different fuel types Should be cool. Okay here goes an attempt at putting pics up it is my first time so bear with me :)

Adam Savage
18-03-2011, 05:07 PM
Welcome back, safe and sound lol. Mind you I see you had the first aid kit, glass of IPA.
Did your stove burn with such....large orange flames....with meths? haha

Fletching
18-03-2011, 05:29 PM
I almost got it right. I said "whoomph", you said "whoof". :)

Martin
18-03-2011, 06:37 PM
Excellent!!! A proper man's experiment. :D

Martin

Ben Casey
18-03-2011, 06:52 PM
Oh sorry I got my sound wrong LOL It burns a lot better than with meths has a better flame with some power in it :) I just had to becareful my lady next door is 92 and I didnt want her paniking on me so like I say I will find somewhere quiet with some open space or woods :) I think it will do a brill boil up and maybe some mixture will be even better.

Ben

Fletching
18-03-2011, 07:51 PM
I'm sure you'll get a quicker boil time if you add some nitro-glycerine.

Adam Savage
18-03-2011, 07:58 PM
I'm sure you'll get a quicker boil time if you add some nitro-glycerine.

why not go the whole hog with thermite? easy enough to make lol

Ben Casey
18-03-2011, 08:02 PM
I was thinking of asking the local RAF for some jet fuel LOL

Adam Savage
18-03-2011, 08:06 PM
Isn't jet fuel kerosene?

Ben Casey
18-03-2011, 08:13 PM
Isn't jet fuel kerosene?

Hm never thought of that.

Adam Savage