PDA

View Full Version : working party in my woods (Devon)

dave budd
13-02-2011, 08:33 PM
It's that time of year again where I'm busy whipping the woods into shape, and this year I've actually been making some progress thanks to a willing helper over the last month or so (paying for some 'toys' by doing my donkey work :D ).

I am going to be having a little working party again, as I have done each year for the past couple. The idea being that some enthusiastic outdoorsy types come out to my woods in Devon and give me a hand making, breaking and burning stuff! Then, since we are already gathered in the woods I think a campfire and social gatehring should be in order :headbang:

The plan thus far...

I've got the weekend of the 12th-13th March booked as the Working Weekend. If anybody is up for coming out to play during the latter part of the week running up to it then hey, why not?!

I plan to have the party part of the working party on the Saturday night. I will try and get some food and drinks in, but if people are happy to contribute to a communal meal then please bring something along (or feed yourself and don't worry about the rest of us :p ). I'll have a couple of big pan, bbqs and other means of cooking on site including a pit oven for those who want to bury something to eat later!

On my list of things that need doing I have:

build shave horses and other green woodworking things (cleaving/shaving breaks)
Gathering and cutting firewood
Coppicing and thinning an overstood willow and ash coppice
Clearing a ride along top boundary to woods.

Obviously I don't expect to get it all done, but the last couple of times I've tried this there have been some fantastically helpful folk come out :grouphug:

Working aside, I hope it will encourage some of my old friends to come out and visit. any excuse for a knees up in the woods!

Oh and of course you are welcome to find some space to camp in the woods. Tents and hammocks are all equally fine, just don't bring stupid inflatable things or trailors full of stuff as it has to be carried 1/2 a mile to the woods!

let me know on here or by pm if you are interested in coming along. The more the merrier! I'll try and get some pictures up of what's going on too at some point this week

paul standley
13-02-2011, 09:25 PM
Count me in Dave... Just sent you a PM.

Paul.

Paul Webster
13-02-2011, 09:49 PM
Sounds interesting Dave, i'll have to check my diary at work tomorrow.

dave budd
14-02-2011, 07:03 AM
Great thanks chaps :) I'll get folk proper directions nearer the time with details for parking and the like, but you are aiming for Cheriton Bishop about 15 miles west of Exeter.

leon-1
14-02-2011, 12:54 PM
Dave I am waiting for dates for the calendar (working dates for the next few months) once they are in I'll have a look and let you know.

Raven
15-02-2011, 09:28 AM
hey dave, any excuse for a party! i'll check the dates and get back to you!

paul:D

Freddy
15-02-2011, 12:06 PM
sounds great, i'll have to get a pass from SWMBO. I've helped making a few pole lathes and shave horses in the past.

jus_young
01-03-2011, 09:15 PM
I is coming! what do I need to bring (apart from my tool kit for the PV obviously)

dave budd
02-03-2011, 07:30 AM
excellant! Lookslike there should be a good turn out for the weekend :)

dave budd
06-03-2011, 07:50 PM
I've just sent out pm's with directions to those of you who have said you can come :) Those sitting on the fence or waiting for permission form the boss, then just let me know when you do and I'll forward the details to you to ;)

Things that are on the menu for the weekend's work:

bit of clearing of the new camping area
building a few shavehorses
building a few benches
ride clearing

oh and of course eating, drinking and 'aving a larf! :D

Thanks to all those who have said you are coming, it should be a good weekend! :)

dave budd
08-03-2011, 07:19 PM
Getting close now...

couple of questions:

A memeber of BB is coming up from Exmouth, but can't get back. is there anybody coming that could give him a lift home at the end of the weekend?

and

Who is coming on friday? A very kind friend is coming up from Cornwall and he wants to know how many pasties to bring for friday! :D

Make a list here so I don't get confused ;)

harryhawk
09-03-2011, 12:39 AM
Dave, looks like I could be free. I'm only 5 mile from Exmouth. I'm on night shift at the mo. I'll phone your mobile when I get up tomorrow if that's ok?
Harry.

dave budd
09-03-2011, 06:49 PM
thanks Harry, I've passed your number along :)

jus_young
10-03-2011, 09:40 AM
Justin coming on Friday

dave budd
10-03-2011, 08:27 PM
Well, this is the last chance I'll have to get online before the weekend.

So for those of you that are coming along, I shall see you when you get here! :jumping-joy:

Any problems, questions or the like, then give me a call (0776 474 2569) :)

Ashley Cawley
11-03-2011, 04:28 PM
Didn't know if I'd be able to make it due to illness through the week - but I'm defo on the mend and looking forward to coming this weekend! :)

So who else is coming?

:camping:

Mang
12-03-2011, 06:30 AM
Love to see some pics if anyone has a camera there...

Ashley Cawley
13-03-2011, 08:01 PM
Love to see some pics if anyone has a camera there...

Here are the few photos I took (http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/photo-gallery/dave-budds-working-party-march-2011-photo-gallery.html).

Beautiful weekend, nice and relaxing even though we were working. Great weather, company, food, drink and woodland :) A big thank you to Dave for inviting us. Was great to see old faces & new ones.

Thoroughly enjoyed making a Shave-Horse for the first time alongside Matt & Road-Kill-Phil, can't get enough of the shave-horse and the draw-knife! Here's the one we made...

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_GaOWopstwrQ/TX0prGL1rYI/AAAAAAAADiE/9RbwDOwQqAc/s800/IMG_5581.JPG

And this was a lovely scene to wake up to...

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_GaOWopstwrQ/TX0pmACtNYI/AAAAAAAADh0/OqqKKNkHRJ0/s800/IMG_5578.JPG

Oh and for the record: Chris the Cat wasn't banned from this site!! :p ... unless the UK Gov. has some generic ban on him using the Internet (which is probable). I've reset his password so you never know he could be visiting soon. :confused:

Thank you one and all,

jus_young
13-03-2011, 09:26 PM
Great weekend. Good to meet some new faces from the forum and test out some gear, (not all of it good!). Was there anything left in the bar by the time you lot had finished?

Master of the ten hour peanut and chocolate raisin bannock bread

paul standley
13-03-2011, 09:31 PM
Gutted that I had to miss it last minute, did have my pack 3/4 packed earlier last week but had to cancel as something came up.

Looks and sounds like you all had a great weekend....

Paul.

harryhawk
13-03-2011, 11:29 PM
Thanks to Dave for the hospitality. The new camping is looking very good. Might be able to get a inflatable tent up there!!!
The Friday/Saturday work force were a bit "spent" by Sunday morning!
Was there anything left in the bar by the time you lot had finished?
There was dregs .....I think!

Nice to catch up with Ash, Matt and meet Phil. Good to see Dunc and meet some of the BB forum guys. I had a great time but I'm feeling it now halfway through a 12hr night shift!
Chris.......You Crazy mofo Cat!!! Always centre of the jokes-funnies. Love to you fella, keep going.
Top work on the shave horses, looking good.....Sabataged or not!
I've got a few photos I'll add when awake over the next couple of days.
Thanks again every one, H.

Roadkillphil
14-03-2011, 05:40 AM
Looking good.....Sabataged or not!

:happy-clapping: :happy-clapping: :happy-clapping: :happy-clapping:

dave budd
14-03-2011, 12:07 PM
I've finally woken up enough to post here and thank everyone for their hard work over the weekend
:happy-clapping::happy-clapping:

Looks like we were all too busy to stop and take many pictures, I did intend to but only managed a few myself :rolleyes: I have a few pictures of the shave horse/bench crew and the camp fire but I haven't got any of the clearing sadly (I'll get some of the 'after' shots when I go to work next).

Aside from the great work that was done, it was a really good weekend jolly :camping:Always nice to see folks around a camp fire and I got to see old friends as well as meet some new ones too. I'll be sure to do it again :)

Here are the few pics I got...

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i98/buddknives1/Bushcraft%20bits/workparty20110002.jpg http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i98/buddknives1/Bushcraft%20bits/workparty20110003.jpg http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i98/buddknives1/Bushcraft%20bits/workparty20110004.jpg http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i98/buddknives1/Bushcraft%20bits/workparty20110011.jpg http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i98/buddknives1/Bushcraft%20bits/workparty20110010.jpg http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i98/buddknives1/Bushcraft%20bits/workparty20110009.jpg http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i98/buddknives1/Bushcraft%20bits/workparty20110006.jpg

A huge thanks again to all of you for comin along

JonnyP
14-03-2011, 07:12 PM
Nice one Lads.. I enjoyed looking at the pics, and those on the home page.. That sort of thing is right up my street, but I was up in Sussex for the weekend seeing my kids..
I will have my pole lathe and shave horse at the RV, for anyone who wants a go at some green woodwork..
Looks a nice place to be there Dave, I hope you worked them hard.. ;0)

ps.. You might want to get some finer mozzie netting for the chute..

jus_young
14-03-2011, 08:46 PM
:D

mark
14-03-2011, 09:49 PM
on the strengh of the reports and photos, i might have a working party up my place. any one !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????

Ashley Cawley
15-03-2011, 06:14 AM
Thanks for sharing those photos Dave! :)

...That sort of thing is right up my street, but I was up in Sussex for the weekend seeing my kids..I did think of you on the way up, thought you'd love it but must have had something'on.

on the strengh of the reports and photos, i might have a working party up my place. any one !?Where is it?.. hang on it's not in a factory is it? :p

Ashley Cawley
16-03-2011, 06:11 AM
I will have my pole lathe and shave horse at the RV, for anyone who wants a go at some green woodwork..I will definitely be up for that Jonny :) Do I need to book-in for it? or is it as and when?

JonnyP
16-03-2011, 12:40 PM
I will definitely be up for that Jonny :) Do I need to book-in for it? or is it as and when?

Dreckly mate..
As and when. Free for all, but 1st come 1st served..

Roadkillphil
16-03-2011, 06:05 PM
Dreckly mate..
As and when. Free for all, but 1st come 1st served..

Wouldn't mind having a bash on the pole lathe. :D

JonnyP
16-03-2011, 08:06 PM
Wouldn't mind having a bash on the pole lathe. :D

Took me bloody ages to make.. Don't you go bashing it..
No probs Phil.. ;0)

Roadkillphil
17-03-2011, 08:24 PM
Took me bloody ages to make.. Don't you go bashing it..
No probs Phil.. ;0)

:D :wink: :D

Ashley Cawley
26-03-2011, 05:21 PM
"If you can find that bloody snail I'll eat it!".....

Chris the Cat: "Right Lads let's find that snail!"

http://vimeo.com/21518066

Roadkillphil
26-03-2011, 08:16 PM
"If you can find that bloody snail I'll eat it!".....

Chris the Cat: "Right Lads let's find that snail!"

Then he spent the next hour in the kak shed :D

Bernie
27-03-2011, 08:08 AM
So sorry I didn't make it this year Dave. You know I like to get stuck in and work - though you've taught me to be more patient in receiving instruction :D

I've been more involved in work and my new canoe interest and sadly didn't frequent this forum as often as I should have to see the invite. Ho hum; maybe next time.

Ashley Cawley
27-03-2011, 07:39 PM
So sorry I didn't make it this year Dave. You know I like to get stuck in and work - though you've taught me to be more patient in receiving instruction :D

I've been more involved in work and my new canoe interest and sadly didn't frequent this forum as often as I should have to see the invite. Ho hum; maybe next time.
ahar! That'll teach'e to ignore the NaturalBushcraft forum! :p

Nah seriously Bernie glad to hear your enjoying the canoeing, thoroughly jealous would sell my kayak for a open-canoe if I had the money!

dave budd
27-03-2011, 07:50 PM
Shame you missed it Bernie. It was a good weekend and there were lots of friendly faces there this time around. I made sure to post it up in a few places, but I admit that I did leave it later than I had planned to (maybe up for a few weeks?). I'll do it again later in the year I hope :)

tadpole
17-01-2012, 10:04 AM
Just a quick question, It was mentioned at the November working Party, but will there be a March 2012 Working Party, and when it is (if there is)?
Mainly aimed at Dave Budd, but does anyone know?

dave budd
17-01-2012, 06:20 PM
hi, I've not thought that far ahead yet! I would like to have another party in the first part of the year, but as the ground hasn't yet frozen I haven't been able to get any materials down there.

I'll have a think about dates for a doo and then decide how much 'work' could be on the cards ;)