PDA

View Full Version : Barefoot

NorthernYeti
01-06-2014, 07:59 PM
Anyone ever tried the Lundin barefoot thing? Ive been thinking about it and wonder what everones thoughts on it are...

jus_young
01-06-2014, 08:35 PM
Can't even walk up the garden without getting a splinter

OakAshandThorn
01-06-2014, 09:16 PM
I did a lot of barefoot hiking 2 years ago, but the fear of slicing myself up on broken glass scared me away from it, and I reverted back to boots. On one occasion I stumbled in a particularly rocky area and smashed my big toenail, nearly cracking it, and another time I got stung in between my toes whilst walking through grass...that hurt so bad I almost couldn't walk for a few days. I might try moccasins, but I don't have steel tootsies that Cody has ;).

midas
02-06-2014, 11:37 AM
Anyone ever tried the Lundin barefoot thing? Ive been thinking about it and wonder what everones thoughts on it are...

In my 20's,when into Shotakan Karate,n marshal arts,Though feet got "hard"your prone to cracks!.But value my feet too much to think of it now.Weaver fish?.coral/rocks/spikes n thorns Lockjaw.I'll stick to my poly-sandels in water,Boots for normally,moccasins,for lighter things.Dont think the pigtails would suit me!!!lol

FishyFolk
02-06-2014, 12:06 PM
7 months of the year

The rest of the year:

http://static.forskning.no/00/32/79/59/COLOURBOX367450-1_None.full.jpg

So answer is no...

AJ
02-06-2014, 12:33 PM
When I come into the house, I take the outside dirt off my feet along with the shoes. With no shoes I'd have to wash my feet coming into the house and especially at night before getting into bed. I think it would just take too long for me. That, and I can stub my toe on a table from 10 feet away, I think its because my toes are so far from my brain. lol

Stamp
02-06-2014, 12:33 PM
I didn't spend over £200 on Scarpa boots to leave them at home ;-)

midas
02-06-2014, 01:33 PM
[QUOTE=AJ;116159] I can stub my toe on a table from 10 feet away, I think its because my toes are so far from my brain. lol

OUCH OOOOO*****so can I!lol.

Blood
21-06-2014, 11:11 PM
Like others here I'm sure, for the hobby/interest/passion we have for the wilderness skills, I think we all have real day jobs that mean our feet are too valuable to even contemplate trying this for a weekend. We have to return to the make believe world afterwards.
Boots it is

Valantine
22-06-2014, 09:10 AM
Not worth the risk in this small country too much glass etc'

ammo
22-06-2014, 09:19 AM
I think it's relevant to your location. My Father was from a desert environment and was often barefoot. He had about a quarter inch, of dead compressed skin on the soles of his feet. In our environment, the weather is too damp. Mud and stone's are completely different to sand and stone's.
My Dad wouldn't wear boots or shoes abroad, but he wouldn't go barefoot in the UK.

Wolfman Zack
22-06-2014, 01:36 PM
I often go barefoot around camp, but still like the protection of boots when I am traveling over distance.

One important thing to rember is that bare feet force you to slow down and be aware of what is on the ground and under your feet, if you move at the same pace that you would when wearing boots, and crash through the undergrowth, you are prone to hurt yourself.

jcornelius6
25-06-2014, 04:58 AM
Do you know Mick Dodge?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7o7UzYDQtmM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

You can find some episodes of the Series online under The Legend of Mick Dodge!

I'm just begun my barefoot journey and I like it very much. I had some kickbacks, because at first I overdone it a little bit, but know I slowed down enough and I enjoy it.

When you've worn shoes your whole life, the transit to barefoot can take years!

In the beginning everything is to intense, every little thingy on the ground hurts and stings, but it fades away in completely new sensory feelings of the ground.

But you've to slow down!

Im also into tracking and foraging and so it's not a bad thing to slow down a bit.

Bye,
Alex

NorthernYeti
28-06-2014, 10:47 AM
i used to love running barefoot on the beach and on grass until you hit a biot of shell or thorn

NorthernYeti
16-07-2014, 09:03 AM
i found these opinions? PaleoBarefoots (http://portal.gost-barefoots.com/en/The-Paleos/PaleoBarefoots)

Sylvanbilly
16-07-2014, 10:58 AM
Not long got back form two weeks on a Greek Island, where just walking on the beach hurt my little feet, it wasn't the fluffy white sand you get like in Barbados, it was very shaily, and coarse, but i have got baby feet, the wife takes the mick about me not having any dried skin on them. So Without sounding patronising, can I ask what would be the benefit of going barefoot ? Am I missing something

NorthernYeti
16-07-2014, 12:28 PM
I just like being barefoot mainly... I just feel better in myself when barefoot its a bit of a odd one mainly I dont get as nervous and my anxiaty dosnt bother me as much it helps me feel grounded. I feel better balanced and somehow it takes away my nerves a bit. I can't really explain it properly but I guess it just feels more natural it's quite calming.
so these might be a option

ammo
16-07-2014, 01:28 PM
I think you hit the nail on the head Yeti, you feel better bare-foot. It's more natural, and i think everyone can appreciate that feeling of relief you get takeing boots off at the end of the day.
I don't fancy the chain mail slippers, but the others look decent.

Dreward
21-07-2014, 12:27 PM
Would barefoot on reasonably safe ground be a good way to prepare your feet for a hike in a pair of boots....my experience of walking is the pain barrier of blisters until my feet acclimatise ?

chris_leech
31-08-2014, 09:18 PM
I have a pair of VFFs and I love them. Although even with them on my feet still become very sore when walking on hard pack with the small gravel on top.

One thing that has been I huge plus from wearing these both causally and in the woods is that they're far from waterproof so your feet get soaking wet all the time.......this accustoms your feet to having to warm themselves! My feet now warm up ridiculously quick.

The muscles in your feet will obviously grow, and may make your boots a little tighter....