15-02-2011, 02:25 PM
I'd like a book on edible fungi which goes along the following lines:

Diagram of fungus
Photo of fungus
Photos of useful dissections
Photos of stages of growth and seasonal changes
Diagrams and photos of confusion species

Useful statistics about habitat, etc.

Preparation guidelines (soaking, boiling, etc.)
Nutritional information

Does this book exist?

Ashley Cawley
15-02-2011, 02:28 PM
That's quite a lot of photos/diagrams per fungi, I would imagine it would need 2-3 pages of an A5 book per fungi, I don't think that'd be a bad idea at all considering your interested in the edible ones (well and similar ones to avoid).

I'll have a flick through my collection when I get home and see which best meets your criteria.

Marvell
15-02-2011, 02:48 PM
I'm basically paranoid!

comanighttrain
15-02-2011, 03:03 PM
for good reason! I tend to avoid mushrooms altogether for fear of killing myself

JonnyP
15-02-2011, 05:07 PM
You are probably asking for too much there Steve. Carol Hunt (aka 'Chicken of the woods' on the forums) would be a good person to ask if such a book exists..
'Mushrooms' by Roger Phillips is a very good guide, but does not have some of the things you are after..
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mushrooms-Roger-Phillips-Book-NEW-/170548761446?pt=Fiction&hash=item27b57f9366#ht_3194wt_1180

Fletching
15-02-2011, 05:22 PM
You can also try:

The River Cottage Handbook No.1 Mushrooms (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mushrooms-River-Cottage-Handbook-No-1/dp/0747589321/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1297794046&sr=1-1) by John Wright ISBN 978-0-7475-8932-7
The Concise Illustrated Book of Mushrooms and Other Fungi (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mushrooms-Other-Fungi-David-Pegler/dp/1853610305/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1297794097&sr=1-1) by David Pegler ISBN 1-85361-030-5

Steve

Kiltie
15-02-2011, 05:38 PM
Surely there will be a 'one stop shop' site on t'interweb (maybe someone will have a 'linky'), unless you plan eating them away from home? , I had a little 'Collins gem' of mushrooms had tons of illustrations-it never gave me the confidence to harvest and eat wild fungi :( ,

wizardbiz
02-01-2012, 12:59 PM

Diagram of fungus
Photo of fungus

Nutritional information

Does this book exist?

best book availible, is by roger phillips, entitled "mushrooms" il look it out and post the isdn number.

wizardbiz
02-01-2012, 03:48 PM
isbn o-330-44237-6

JonnyP
02-01-2012, 04:16 PM
best book availible, is by roger phillips, entitled "mushrooms" il look it out and post the isdn number.

That'll be the one I mentioned earlier then ;0) Its a good book, but does not have all Steve asked for..

Basha72
05-01-2012, 02:51 AM
You can get this on the I Phone also, its not bad and the pictures are pretty , like most people I've got a fair few books but not one gives all the answers and after reading what John Wright put in his River Cottage book he's not found the ideal book either ! maybe a market to print one LOL

I'm trying to find a fungi Mentor here in Torbay to go out with

happybonzo
05-01-2012, 06:38 AM
Try these people in Totnes. You can't go in and browse but their prices are usually better than Natural History Museum

http://www.cylex-uk.co.uk/company/natural-history-book-service-ltd--16944183.html

Basha72
06-01-2012, 09:22 PM
Just bought the Easy Edible Mushroom Guide by Prof. David Pegler part of the Easy Nature guides

isbn :185410631-7

it makes great use of photo's and paintings which are very well detailed. Along the top of each page you get the month in bold of it's appearance time along with size etc it's £12.99 new I got mine of Amazon a bit cheaper, its a good book to add to your collection and a a size of about 7 inch by 5 it will fit in your daysack ok or smock pocket.

Basha

AdrianRose
06-01-2012, 09:35 PM
Just bought the Easy Edible Mushroom Guide by Prof. David Pegler part of the Easy Nature guides

isbn :185410631-7

it makes great use of photo's and paintings which are very well detailed. Along the top of each page you get the month in bold of it's appearance time along with size etc it's £12.99 new I got mine of Amazon a bit cheaper, its a good book to add to your collection and a a size of about 7 inch by 5 it will fit in your daysack ok or smock pocket.

Basha

I have been collected, studying and eating fungi for nearly 16 years and this book is my "go to bible" for fungi. You will not regret buying it for a second.
I have about 20 other fungi books but none of them compare to this one.

Ade

Marvell
27-02-2012, 02:10 AM
That sounds like the one. Cheers chaps.

El
29-04-2012, 12:08 PM
Did you ever get that book Marvell ?
I would love an easy to follow mushroom picking guide for dummies, I see what might be mushrooms all the time in the woods and fields ..and when I try an identify them ..they seem to look like both the edible kind and the poisonous kind . lol

GwersyllaCnau
29-04-2012, 12:22 PM
Surely there will be a 'one stop shop' site on t'interweb (maybe someone will have a 'linky') :( ,

Would you really trust it?

for good reason! I tend to avoid mushrooms altogether for fear of killing myself

Same here

Marvell
29-04-2012, 03:43 PM
Did you ever get that book Marvell ?

No, I've started with a much simpler approach of learning the unmistakable ones first :) I will get it when the season really kicks in I imagine.

Marvell
28-09-2012, 01:36 AM
I bought a number of books, some because they were very cheap and have the following conclusions:

Phillips - great reference
Pegler - the absolute go to guide for edibles
Wright - nice, but not enough of a guide
Collins Gem - good to pop in the rucksack

Others - meh

Thanks for all your advice.

twosmokeforever
28-09-2012, 06:36 AM
I used the roger phillips book last night for reasurance so I guess it is my favourite, but in my car I keep something like ten wild food books.

generally just cheap one's off the bay, as I prefer reading over tv

but all you get with a book is one person's opinion printed, you would amazed at how many of my books differ in opinion one person may like the taste one may not. they may also cook it differently

with shrooms there are many that only upset some people, parsols, yellow stainers, russala's. And enoiki from sainburys gets the misses a beauty and I got her to try it again just to be sure (sorry about that)

my books can get very vage over these, there are only a few shrooms that will put you on the slab (get to know them, its a handful) the rest are just unedible which means it will taste crap, stink, have the texture of leather, melt into slime upon cooking or give you a stomach upset

when trying new things, check yahoo images (gives you a very good feeling when 50 images come up) & the wiki. if unsure a spore pint is a must. and always save the majority of it (as in try a little of just one first) then you have something to take to hospital with you

remember where you find them, if they were good go back and get them next season when the conditions are the same

I actually kind of knew that those saffron milk caps would be sitting there waiting for me

Geoff Dann
02-10-2012, 06:55 PM

Diagram of fungus
Photo of fungus

Nutritional information

Does this book exist?

No. It's a lot of photos to collect, and it would end up being an expensive book to print even after you've done all the legwork - probably too expensive for the book to make a profit.

Marvell
03-10-2012, 11:12 PM
No. It's a lot of photos to collect, and it would end up being an expensive book to print even after you've done all the legwork - probably too expensive for the book to make a profit.

Doesn't have to be of ALL fungi, just a collection of edible ones with the lookalikes.

Geoff Dann
03-10-2012, 11:53 PM
Doesn't have to be of ALL fungi, just a collection of edible ones with the lookalikes.

How many edible ones do you think would be a good number to be in the book?

AdrianRose
04-10-2012, 06:57 AM

This is exactly what Prof David Pegler book does. He shows the most common edibles whilst showing possible "confusion" species.

Ade.

dannyreid1978
04-10-2012, 10:50 PM
Got it ordered from that rainforest site £11.80!! Can't wait

David_JAFO
05-10-2012, 11:52 AM
hello,
I looked this up on the Big River Trading Co i.e Amazon.
Prof. David Pegler’s concise, well-illustrated and informative guide is a timely antidote to the mythology surrounding the much misunderstood – and often maligned - wild mushroom. The book begins with an introduction to fungi and mushroom biology, a mushroom calendar and a crash course in hunting for edible mushrooms, together with useful tables containing information on classifying and identifying edible fungi. Twenty different varieties are then explored in depth – from the edible to the poisonous (and even the hallucinogenic!). Extensive photographs and colour illustrations will aid the amateur mushroom gatherer in the tricky (and potentially dangerous) task of identification. Finally, this fascinating book offers recipes and food preparation tips. Pegler’s considerable expertise and clear delivery make the Easy Edible Mushroom Guide an absolute must-have for anyone new to the world of mushroom hunting.
Asking price 1 New £813.03 :shocked: must be a good read at that price. 6 used asking £8.00.
I have a few .pdf e-book on file too :wink:
Regards
David

Marvell
08-10-2012, 02:55 AM
How many edible ones do you think would be a good number to be in the book?

More than one that are available in more than one habitat per month. About 40 should do it.

I absolutely love Pegler and have Phillips for reference. The rest I've not opened since.

Psycho
25-10-2012, 08:00 PM
Hi!
I'm really interrested in the Easy Edible Mushroom Guide from David Pegler too. Could someone tell me, where I can get this book at a normal price? I've tried it in two german online-shops, but both of them were not able to get this book.
And at other online-shops they sell it for more than £800.

Basha72
26-10-2012, 01:55 PM
You can buy it here £12:99 plus postage be quick someone else may get it !!

http://www.nhbs.com/the_easy_edible_mushroom_guide_tefno_90442.html

Also here for under £20

http://www.oxfam.org.uk/shop/books/food-and-drink/the-easy-edible-mushroom-guide-easy-nature-guides-series-hd_100041005

Dave

Psycho
26-10-2012, 07:46 PM
Hey Dave!
Thanks a lot for your quick reply!
I thought I won't get this book anymore =)