PDA

View Full Version : Alternatives to paracord

FishyFolk
15-06-2014, 04:27 PM
I am not all to impressed with paracord as a bushcraft ropage.

Sure it is strong for the size/weight, and packs easilly. But if you just want a short length to something I have to burn off the ends and thats just a chore. And they suck up water like a camel.

I find that good old fashioned jute or hemp string/ rope is a much better alternative in many ways. First off it's a natural fibre. It's more than strong enough to use in shelter building or as guy lines.
And they have the added benefit of being an excellent tinder when frayed up, and takes a good spark from a fire steel.

Also it is cehap and locally available. I actually have to order my paracord from ebay to get some. Hemp string I can buy at the local corner shop....

What other alternatives to you like, and why?

AJ
15-06-2014, 08:07 PM
Maybe its just the paracord I have, but it doesn't hold knots very well. I've usually used thin nylon rope/string, the kind you use in sailing dinghies (had some from my Dad). My next purchase will likely be some tarred twine so I can test this mythically brilliant product :) (mainly because the supplier is close by).

ADz
15-06-2014, 08:52 PM
As far as tarp goes I moved away from paracord/knots etc and started using zingit, Stein Throwline 1.8mm etc along with some nice titanium dutchware for tensioners etc. No need for knots or heavy cord etc.

FishyFolk
15-06-2014, 09:01 PM
As far as tarp goes I moved away from paracord/knots etc and started using zingit, Stein Throwline 1.8mm etc along with some nice titanium dutchware for tensioners etc. No need for knots or heavy cord etc.

They are probably nice but get shot down on availability and price...
Of course, ones your guy and ridge line is "installed" it stays there. So thats an investment that wll probably last as long as the tarp.
It's more paracord as your consumer type cordage....ie bits you cut off for difefrent purposes like securing a tripod...what rope to use for that isntead of paracord....I use jute/hemp.

Ranger
27-01-2015, 12:34 PM
I like bandline (tarred nylon or seine twine) you can let anywhere from 500 ft. (No.36 I think) up to 1700 ft. (No. 6) in a roll for $10 and it is fully waterproof and the individual fibers (3 twisted together) each are waterproof as it is made for trot lines for catfish. it holds knots well and plenty of strength!

beermaker
27-01-2015, 12:45 PM
I use quite a bit of Dyneema/Spectra and Vectran from offcuts on my boat. Have to agree with FishyFolk though - jute cord is great! Cheap, versatile, biodegradeable, readily available and it also makes great tinder if you tease the fibres apart!

Never heard of tarred line until my wife bought me a Canadian bushcraft book for Christmas which mentioned it with high praise. Can you get it in the UK?

Magicdave
29-01-2015, 09:03 PM
I can't comment/recommend it, as I've never handled it. But as an alternative this stuff has had me curious a few times. It has some appealing factors, particularly strength.

http://www.alphabushcraft.co.uk/technora950.html

Does anyone know anything about it? I'm curious about this quote too.

Did we mention it can also be used as a friction saw...

ian c
29-01-2015, 09:35 PM
I know you can use most nylon cord to cut through plasticuffs but don't know about it cutting through anything tougher, Getting back onto the subject of alternatives to paracord I use what ever cord I have to hand from bailing twine to paracord I still have lots of nylon cord from when I was in the army, I use nylon to make purse nets and long nets the thinnest I use now is 6z.

Magicdave
29-01-2015, 09:46 PM
On this site, which is the the only place I've stumbled across it it is only available as a maximum of 5m lengths,. Which is a massive shame. As, and still on subject, I've been considering it as an alternative to paracord, particularly because it's a whole lot stronger.

The cutting tool does intrigue me though. And I'm still interested if anyone has used it. Is it really that strong, does it tie well, is it available elsewhere in longer lengths etc. And the cutting tool thing as an aside.

Rasputin
29-01-2015, 10:01 PM
Sounds like dyneema to me under a different trade name

Magicdave
29-01-2015, 10:21 PM
Thanks, that could make sense. But something isn't ringing true. If it is why is it only supplied as a max 5m length, offcuts with a made up name? Is this a questionable website that I linked to? hopefully not.

I'll see what I can find on the breaking strain of 3mm Dyneema just to see if it matches up.

Magicdave
29-01-2015, 10:27 PM
Quick update, don't know why I never googled it earlier. Maybe that this thread just brought it back t my attention. But Braided Technora is available as 250ft lengths.

http://estore.twinline-usa.com/collections/technora/products/braided-technora-950-lb-250-ft-spool-black

I'll get back when I find out more.

Magicdave
29-01-2015, 10:40 PM
So 3mm Paracord 550 has a tensile strength of 550lbs, the 3mm Braided Technora goes to 960lbs and Dyneema (which I never realised) is mental at 2500lbs.

The costs also reflect the strengths. No idea why the Braided Technora is only available in short lengths at the link I posted. But it's good to know you can get it long enough for a short, short cut, abseil with out the panic factor of the 550lbs Paracord, or the price of the Dyneema.

Magicdave
29-01-2015, 10:55 PM
Ah maybe it is Dyneema. It seems there are too many different variations and specs. I've not found anything anywhere near as low as 960 for 3mm Dyneema though. But if it is it does sound like a reasonable weight/strength/cost compromise for a Paracord alternative.

Rasputin
29-01-2015, 11:14 PM
I believe Amsteel is the same type of filament !

Paul De Fitter
30-01-2015, 02:06 PM
This is good cheap stuff, no need to burn the ends if you don't mind a bit of fraying.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002IRW78G/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_img?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2JKO4LXEABK8R&coliid=I54L89Q19O434

toney0105
30-01-2015, 03:12 PM
I like using tarred mariners bankline from the bushcraft store its £5.99 for a reel of 1.5mm x 250ft with breaking strain of 75kg or 2.0mm x 125ft with breaking strain of 125kg

Here
http://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk/mariner-tarred-twisted-nylon-twine---bank-line-13991-p.asp

Paul De Fitter
30-01-2015, 04:46 PM
I like using tarred mariners bankline from the bushcraft store its £5.99 for a reel of 1.5mm x 250ft with breaking strain of 75kg or 2.0mm x 125ft with breaking strain of 125kg

Here
http://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk/mariner-tarred-twisted-nylon-twine---bank-line-13991-p.asp

Result ;) been looking for this stuff for ages, thanks for the link, spending money now !!

toney0105
30-01-2015, 04:51 PM
It really is good stuff heard you can use as tinder ( but I've never tryed it) and no need to burn ends

Paul De Fitter
30-01-2015, 04:57 PM
Crikey, the bushcraft store is out of stock at the moment, I've left my e-mail with them & they'll get back when they have some more

Ranger
30-01-2015, 04:58 PM
It really is good stuff heard you can use as tinder ( but I've never tryed it) and no need to burn ends

How would one ignite bank line?

toney0105
30-01-2015, 04:59 PM
It really is good stuff heard you can use as tinder ( but I've never tryed it) and no need to burn ends<br />
<br />
How would one ignite bank line?<br/>

Not sure as I've never tryed

Midge_Fodder
24-02-2015, 10:57 AM
How would one ignite bank line?

It's Tarred so likely the same way as you'd use waxed jute, theoretically anyway as I don't have any and the Bushcraft store run out just as I wanted to order some.

toney0105
24-02-2015, 03:14 PM
You can get it on amazon.com it works out about £10 with shipping. Just had a look.

Midge_Fodder
24-02-2015, 03:20 PM
Cheers just bought a roll. Saves the paracord for jobs that actually require paracord...... ATB Shug

toney0105
24-02-2015, 03:21 PM
I used it las month on a tri pod to hang a pot hanger over thw fire and worked well.

Midge_Fodder
24-02-2015, 03:23 PM
Looks like good stuff, people seem to be going nuts over it everywhere but here it seems. If it is strong holds a knot and saves me money I'm in lol

toney0105
24-02-2015, 03:30 PM
Its worked for me so far with no problems. Knot and carries enought weight I've never broke a line of it.

Midge_Fodder
24-02-2015, 03:32 PM
350lbs is a hell of a weight tbh, if I think about it 224lbs (16st) so it would take my weight and I'm not exactly what you'd call light.

toney0105
24-02-2015, 03:34 PM
Ano can hold some big weight. So u shouldn't have n e problems with it.