PDA

View Full Version : Francis Barker M88 compass

Martin123
15-06-2014, 05:36 PM
I've recently bought a Francis Barker M88 compass and though I've familiarised with it's use I'd like to get hold of set of instructions for this particular compass. Can anyone point me in the direction of a pdf file or any other source? I've searched the net with no luck so far.
Cheers
Martin

jus_young
15-06-2014, 06:33 PM
Welcome to the community Martin. Unfortunately can't help myself as I am more of a Sylva man but I am sure someone may be able to help soon.

David_JAFO
15-06-2014, 08:59 PM
hello,
:welcome: to the NBC.
I was chatting to a Bushcraft USA member on this recently I'll ask around. I'm sure some of the British & US Forces Field Manuals had reference in the use of such. I have one of these or should I say, my mates borrowed such with intent in returning it.. used it during my Service along with my RA69 NATO prismatic both still in vgc. I have a plastic 'Pusser's' version of this too (Engineers Directional Compass) I've had for years great for method of instruction.
Regards
David

David_JAFO
15-06-2014, 09:20 PM
hello,
US Field Manual FM3_25.26 Map Reading & Land Navigation Google should produce a .pdf link.
Regards
David

Martin123
15-06-2014, 09:26 PM
Thanks chaps, hopefully I'll get some info soon. I've emailed pyser-sgi who I believe are the manufacturers of the M88 and I'll post any useful info they supply. I'd like to add that this is a fascinating and wonderfully informative site. I'll be contributing where I can. my particular area being lightweight cycle touring if any of your members post questions on that.
Cheers
Martin

Martin123
16-06-2014, 09:19 AM
Hi David, thanks for that. The pdf looks very comprehensive - 239 pages! I'll be working my way through that.

Cheers
Martin

David_JAFO
16-06-2014, 03:28 PM
hello,
Afternoon Martin. Glad I could assist. I've been interested in cycling too, mountain bike on many outdoor expeditions, mostly walking just now, serious injury to an old war wound. The M88 is quite straight forward to use BTW practice makes perfect. I would suggest you try such out from a table top type exercise firstly then from a good view or nearby area then try view such as a Lensantic folded flat as you would with a map & compass or as a Prismatic, point it at any landmark or obstacle take a bearing. If your familiar with use of map & compass then try Mils & Degrees, try taking bearings & back bearings, it is fun you don't have to travel far in practice. Good luck & will look to hear of your endeavours.
Regards
David
Ps. I was sent this link of interest http://www.britishblades.com/forums/showthread.php?82843-Francis-Barker-M-88-Prismatic-compass-review

Martin123
17-06-2014, 05:59 PM
Hi All and thanks to David for his links and encouragement. Pyser SGI have sent me a pdf file which is a simplified version which doesn't go into explanations of all the scales on the M88 compass card but does offer a practical guide to using the M88 for navigation. I've tried to post a link here but my computing skills are lacking so if any of you people can tell me how to post a link to a pdf file I'll learn something and the forum will have something extra too!
Cheers
Martin

David_JAFO
17-06-2014, 07:29 PM
hello,
Martin is the .pdf a single sheet or multi pages?
Regards
David

Martin123
18-06-2014, 05:51 PM
Hi David, the file is on two pages. Perhaps if I emailed to yourself or another in the know they may be able to post it here.
Cheers