PDA

View Full Version : Helle Temagami

Notredame11211
17-02-2011, 03:30 AM
I Just saw this, Les Stroud (aka Survivorman) has teamed up with Helle to make a knife. The knife is full tang with a curly birch handle, and will use Helle's great stainless steel; I'm excited for it.:) What do you guys think?
http://www.helle.no/Default.aspx?tabid=8457&language=nb-NO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxAYFs-vxyk

JEEP
17-02-2011, 05:15 AM
Looks like a really nice knife - it looks a lot like the Ray Mears Woodlore, though at a less ridiculous price point.

$200 (about £ 125) is still a lot for a Helle knife though. The classic Helle Fjellkniven will give you more or less the same blade, with a classic Scandinavian stick tang, for around £ 60-70.

Personally it hurts my Scandinavien pride a little each time a classic Scandinavian knife maker succumbs into making full tang knives.

fish
17-02-2011, 10:01 AM
looks like a nice knife and as stated a better price than the woodlore.

comanighttrain
17-02-2011, 10:57 AM
Looks like a really nice knife - it looks a lot like the Ray Mears Woodlore, though at a less ridiculous price point.

$200 (about £ 125) is still a lot for a Helle knife though. The classic Helle Fjellkniven will give you more or less the same blade, with a classic Scandinavian stick tang, for around £ 60-70.

Personally it hurts my Scandinavien pride a little each time a classic Scandinavian knife maker succumbs into making full tang knives.

whats wrong with a full tang knife?

leon-1
17-02-2011, 02:24 PM

The stick tang evolved in many ways, but if you think you are working in sub zero temperatures and sometimes without gloves as with heavy mitts you may not have the dexterity you require. The metal is also at sub zero temperatures and where it is exposed around the scales at spine and belly it gives the metal a chance to stick to your hand.

an alternative would be something along the line of a morticed tang that maintains the majority of the blades size all the way through the handle, but is only exposed at the butt of the knife in a similar fashion to the bog standard Fallkniven F1.

leon-1
17-02-2011, 02:29 PM
The knife is a nice enough looking knife, but I don't really like the look of it. On the belly of the handle the tang is not exposed, but on the spine it is. I prefer one or the other and a full morticed or coffin tang would have been more to my liking. If not that then you may as well go for a Helle Harding and stay with the stick tang.

comanighttrain
17-02-2011, 02:38 PM
The stick tang evolved in many ways, but if you think you are working in sub zero temperatures and sometimes without gloves as with heavy mitts you may not have the dexterity you require. The metal is also at sub zero temperatures and where it is exposed around the scales at spine and belly it gives the metal a chance to stick to your hand.

an alternative would be something along the line of a morticed tang that maintains the majority of the blades size all the way through the handle, but is only exposed at the butt of the knife in a similar fashion to the bog standard Fallkniven F1.

Ahh I see, Thanks, I think my Puukko are like that, the only exposed metal at the bottom of the handle is bronze looking stud on the bottom

JEEP
17-02-2011, 04:34 PM

Nothing at all. I just prefer traditional makers of traditional products to stick to tradition :)

Notredame11211
17-02-2011, 05:30 PM
Nothing at all. I just prefer traditional makers of traditional products to stick to tradition :)

I agree

Notredame11211
18-02-2011, 01:36 AM
http://www.helle.no/Default.aspx?tabid=8564&language=en-US
Here is another link

snag68
22-02-2011, 10:04 PM
It does remind me of a hybrid EKA W11/woody

JEEP
28-10-2011, 02:51 PM
Interesting; this knife is now available with a carbon steel blade (or has it always been, without me noticing?)

Carbon steel knives from Helle is not a not a common sight these days. Which is a shame really - imho. their laminated carbon steel blades are way superior to their laminated stainless steel ones. I have seen far more Helle stainless steel knives break, than any orher knife brand. I may be a coincidence - but it is what I have experienced.

I have a Helle Viking - one of my favourite knives. I may get the carbon steel Temagami - just because it is another carbon steel Helle.

EDIT 16/08 '12 Now that I own and use several laminated stainless steel knives from Helle, including the Dokka, Symfoni and Temagami, I must say that my above statement stands to be corrected; Helle's laminated stainless steel is any bit as good as their laminated carbon, it is more or less as easy to sharpen, retains an edge equally well - and it is actually less prone to cosmetic damage.

Notredame11211
28-10-2011, 04:04 PM
Interesting; this knife is now available with a carbon steel blade (or has it always been, without me noticing?)

I have a Helle Viking - one of my favorite knives.

The first models of this knife were in laminated carbon steel, I agree with you on the Helle Viking; It is truly a great knife!

JEEP
31-10-2011, 08:13 AM
Couldn't resist temptation. I just ordered one :)

JEEP
09-11-2011, 10:52 AM
Got it a few minutes ago. I have just unpacked it.

Initial impressions: One heck of a knife! Beautiful - aswell as very businesslike.

I can't wait to give it a good spin this weekend.

Notredame11211
09-11-2011, 01:53 PM
Awesome Jakob!!!:D

JEEP
09-11-2011, 04:50 PM
Just treating the handle to a few coats of linseed oil and the scabbard to a good coat of leather grease - while listening to some of Les' music and having a beer after a long workday.

Nice! :D

Notredame11211
09-11-2011, 06:39 PM
Just treating the handle to a few coats of linseed oil and the scabbard to a good coat of leather grease - while listening to some of Les' music and having a beer after a long workday.

Nice! :D

Sounds like a good time!:)