PDA

View Full Version : Walking Poles

Humakt
23-06-2014, 10:01 AM
I'm just about keffed off with the walking poles I have.
They're the twist-lock type and they keep binding up. I have had enough.
I want to get some new ones.
But I have two requirements. Firstly, I want the ones that have a lever-lock; secondly, I want them in green or brown or even black. I don't want silly bright blue/red or other such silliness.
I could always re-spray them if worse comes to worse, but I'd rather be starting with a good base and just trying to re-paint the more nuclear bits.
Any recommendations?
Oh, there is a third. Since I'm hardly a 'performance' walker, not looking to set out across the Pennine Way any time soon, I have no need for the latest, and very expensive, set of poles. So sensible price-range only.
Cheers.

David_JAFO
23-06-2014, 01:58 PM
hello,
Try these two outlets Go Outdoors http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/walking/equipment/poles Sports Direct http://www.sportsdirect.com/outdoor-equipment/walking-poles Myself I prefer a more practical walking staff/stick carved from a nice piece of wood naturally resourced or recycled usually from the Countryside Trust/Woodland Trust when they're clearing out the local woodlands. There plenty of talent on the NBC who could provide more details on such & if you prefer you could make two natural walking poles, it's more fun.
Regards
David

Humakt
23-06-2014, 02:16 PM
Yeah, I've looked in both of those.
And I do have a walking pole made the way you describe.
But there's a time and place for both. When out for a gentle ramble then the wooden staff it is.
When out to do 15 miles a day, each day, for the next 10 days, then collapsible poles it is (they can be put away when not needed!).

Whistle
23-06-2014, 03:55 PM
Understand your frustrations with "jamming" poles H , I have had similar problems in the past ...

The only thing that seems to work is a regular disassemble , clean out all the mud / accumulated dust ,

very gently lube the nylon screw threads , Graphite Grease works well , but don't overdo it ,

or the nylon basket shaped grippers won't be able to get a grip on the poles !!!

I've had really expensive poles in the past but my favourite poles at the moment are a pair

I got from Lidl's , dirt cheap and have built in shock absorbers !!!

Cheers Whistle

midas
23-06-2014, 05:59 PM
^^^^snap on what whistle said!!though got mine at ALDI,4yrs ago,n still going strong.Less than £10 a pair,n spring loaded shockers too.Said I'd never use "sticks",Then read a report of Royal Marines using them,n the amount of weight they take off ones knees.Use them now over some pretty rough terrain in Croatia,when hunting wild Boar...n they've never failed or failed to fold up to go in my suit case.atb mike

David_JAFO
23-06-2014, 08:11 PM
hello,
Well I'm old school of survival & was taught use what is at hand foraged & that usually meant a walking staff used in a number of theatres of operation by British Forces. There were details in the training survival school manual SOP's on how to use a walking staff & it's many uses from fording a river to a weapon to name but a few as well as how to carry such when not in use.
Regards
David

^^^^snap on what whistle said!!though got mine at ALDI,4yrs ago,n still going strong.Less than £10 a pair,n spring loaded shockers too.Said I'd never use "sticks",Then read a report of Royal Marines using them,n the amount of weight they take off ones knees.Use them now over some pretty rough terrain in Croatia,when hunting wild Boar...n they've never failed or failed to fold up to go in my suit case.atb mike

midas
23-06-2014, 09:59 PM
hello,
Well I'm old school of survival & was taught use what is at hand foraged & that usually meant a walking staff used in a number of theatres of operation by British Forces. There were details in the training survival school manual SOP's on how to use a walking staff & it's many uses from fording a river to a weapon to name but a few as well as how to carry such when not in use.
Regards
David

Quarter Staffs wont fit in my suit case or gun case when flying,and the wooden (scewable)Stalking poles that ive seen,tend to go wobble after a while.

midas
23-06-2014, 10:18 PM
[QUOTE=Humakt;117707]
But I have two requirements. Firstly, I want the ones that have a lever-lock;

Had a stalking/camera mounting mono-pole/stick, that had lever locks!whilst it was ok when you were standing,either to shoot off,or use to steady a SLR.n tele lens.it soon started to loosen up n slip inside itself if any weight was placed on it.
ended its life taped up with insulating tape.

suggy
24-06-2014, 09:35 AM
Black Diamond Trail trekking poles, I've seen some rip-off ones in Mountain Warehouse and possibly Go Outdoors.

http://www.absolute-snow.co.uk/V/Black_Diamond_TRAIL_BACK_Trekking_Poles-(59011)?gclid=COnjrYCXkr8CFevpwgodmHAAdw

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Trekking-Poles-Reviews/Black-Diamond-Trail-Back

Black diamond patented the FlikLock IIRC, they also sell the FlikLoks on their own

Mine are black rather than red (mostly)