PDA

View Full Version : DD lightweight Tarp anyone used one??

Scott
25-06-2014, 02:25 PM
Hello all

Just wondering if anyone has used one of these before and if they are any good??

http://www.ddhammocks.com/product/DD_Superlight_Tarp

Cheers

Scott

jus_young
25-06-2014, 04:53 PM
You've noticed their new gear as well eh? I have been looking at the lightweight range for the last couple of evenings and my wallet started twitching ( or was it panicking?)

Scott
25-06-2014, 05:31 PM
Yea it does look pretty good but I cant find any reviews anywhere. I think my wallet was the same after all it is pay day today. Justin haven't you got that very light weight tarp already??

jus_young
26-06-2014, 12:14 AM
I have got the TW Sargasso but it has nowhere near the coverage of the DD tarps. Found that it is ideal for good weather but as soon as there is a bit of rain with a touch of wind things start getting a little damp.

Humakt
26-06-2014, 10:29 AM
I'm not a big fan of DD tarps, to be honest.
It's not the quality so much as the material.
I find that the material that DD us on their tarps reflects light rather than absorbs it. When the sun hits a DD tarp the whole thing lights up! You can even see it in their own promotional images. Look at the way the coyote tarp turns into bright orange. And the pattern of the multicam one is just too repetitive and undermines the point.
I don't know what material they are using on the new lightweight tarps but I have my doubts and expect it to be just as reflective.
Nah, DD tarps don't do it for me.

Scott
26-06-2014, 10:41 AM
That's an interesting opinion I've not heard that before. I know a lot of people swear by the DD tarps. My problem is I want something that going to be as good as my tatonka tarp but I'm pretty sure that's not going to happen in a lightweight option.

FishyFolk
26-06-2014, 11:00 AM
Well, the sun is only a myth where I live, so that ain't a problem. Nor do I really have to hide as we have the freedom to roam. So I love my DD tarp. But have not tried the light one.

But then I am walking around in a desert camo jacket in the woods...I might as well light a signal fire!

Chubbs
26-06-2014, 11:23 AM
TW TARPS for me all the way. The 3 x 3 Cornelius is fine in rain but the 4 x 3 is much better. It keeps everything dry and has loads of attachment points.

Scott
26-06-2014, 11:35 AM
How heavy is it Neil i'm looking at lightweight kit at the moment??

Humakt
26-06-2014, 11:35 AM
Nor do I really have to hide as we have the freedom to roam.

It's not really a question of 'hiding'. In the UK we are allowed to pitch up a tarp as well!
It's more to do with the fact that I don't want to look like a blot on someone else's landscape. I don't like it when I go out into the countryside and all I see are people in bright red, orange, and blue coats bobbing about (which is OK in remote areas where you may need S&R to find you, but not on the North Downs or anywhere else in the home counties, quite frankly), ruining my view. That's why I wear muted colours - so I don't ruin their view. And I don't want my tarp lighting up for the same reason. I prefer to blend in. Maybe it's just a psychological thing, but that's enough for me. And DD tarps are quite prone to light reflection.

FishyFolk
26-06-2014, 12:17 PM
It's not really a question of 'hiding'. In the UK we are allowed to pitch up a tarp as well!
It's more to do with the fact that I don't want to look like a blot on someone else's landscape. I don't like it when I go out into the countryside and all I see are people in bright red, orange, and blue coats bobbing about (which is OK in remote areas where you may need S&R to find you, but not on the North Downs or anywhere else in the home counties, quite frankly), ruining my view. That's why I wear muted colours - so I don't ruin their view. And I don't want my tarp lighting up for the same reason. I prefer to blend in. Maybe it's just a psychological thing, but that's enough for me. And DD tarps are quite prone to light reflection.

Well I have never seen my Coyote brown tarp do that. Perhaps because the undergrowth here is pretty dense as forests here are are not pruned like a park like they look in England. So you are pretty much well camoflaged in your camp jsut a few meters off the path or road. And under the canopy of the trees there ain't much sun that will hit the tarp those few days that it's not over cast. I was actually quite happy that it blend in so well, and really surprised at how well it blend in contrasted with snow. I.e dark trees and rock faces, white snow. It's so contrasty that the tarp almost looks like a shadow.

But again, form what I have seen on UK Bushcraft videos, your forests are pretty open compared to the "jungle" I am used to.
And I always use a hammcok, so I am always under trees...

Martin
26-06-2014, 12:21 PM
How heavy is it Neil i'm looking at lightweight kit at the moment??

Welcome to the dark side, Scott. What took you so long!! :D

Martin

Ashley Cawley
26-06-2014, 12:23 PM
I personally don't think the olive green one looks any different to other tarps in terms of light reflection (or not that I notice), I don't own one myself.

Looks like DD's new lightweight tarp is made of "strong ripstop nylon with PU 3,000mm coating" and has 19 attachment points! Plenty of pitching options there.

I can't recall what my Tatonka 3x3m Polycotton tarp weighs, but I do like it. Anything wrong with yours Scott or just looking for a second tarp?

Ashley Cawley
26-06-2014, 12:24 PM
Don't listen to him Scott! - I've got a heavy-duty canvas tarp going if you want it? :p

Scott
26-06-2014, 12:41 PM
Martin the older I get the less weight I want to carry lol. My tatonka tarp is brilliant im just looking into lighter kit for those trips to dartmoor now and then. What canvas tarp have you got ash?? That certainly does sound heavy

Chubbs
26-06-2014, 03:32 PM
Scott

The 3 x 3 Cornelius tarp weighs 800g and the Sargasso Storm tarp which is 3.9m x 2.4m is 830g. They also do a 3.7 x 1.9 which is 650g. All these weights are tarp only.

Scott
26-06-2014, 03:47 PM
Cheers Neil. The DD 3x2.9 lightweight tarp is 460g so i'll have a think about it.

OakAshandThorn
26-06-2014, 04:17 PM
Well I have never seen my Coyote brown tarp do that. Perhaps because the undergrowth here is pretty dense as forests here are are not pruned like a park like they look in England. So you are pretty much well camoflaged in your camp jsut a few meters off the path or road. And under the canopy of the trees there ain't much sun that will hit the tarp those few days that it's not over cast. I was actually quite happy that it blend in so well, and really surprised at how well it blend in contrasted with snow. I.e dark trees and rock faces, white snow. It's so contrasty that the tarp almost looks like a shadow.
I've found the same to be true. I don't have an OD DD tarp for comparison, but the 3x3 coyote blends in very well. Had no problem with reflection whatsoever - if it does reflect light, passers-by don't notice. And tree leaves will reflect light, as will the tiny crystals in rocks around here, water (duh), etc...can't see it being an issue even if it does reflect a bit.
The woods here can also be a bit thick (thanks to the cursed Asian Bittersweet), and I too stay under the trees...open meadows are regularly trodden.

jus_young
26-06-2014, 08:43 PM

Martin
He he [emoji3]

Theres no going back once you start!

Scott
26-06-2014, 08:50 PM
I know but I feel old and need to carry less lol we shall see what I can afford

Ashley Cawley
27-06-2014, 06:11 AM
..What canvas tarp have you got ash?? That certainly does sound heavy
Sorry Scott, I don't have one really was just winding Martin up!

I tell you what will cut your weight down easily on Dartmoor mate! Try this (https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B006RFPOBM?tag=naturbushc-21&camp=1406&creative=6394&linkCode=as1&creativeASIN=B006RFPOBM&adid=069XEPXMXHYYN400SC64&) saves you carrying that heavy water.

Remember just 500ml of water weighs more than that DD Tarp you were looking at!
T^

Scott
27-06-2014, 09:00 AM
Very true ash. That bottle filter looks interesting

Ichneumon
27-06-2014, 09:31 AM
Adrian Rose, of this parish, has reviewed the DD hammocks Superlight range here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaEajqm-058
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaEajqm-058 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaEajqm-058&list=UU43jQvQHRlmmz_qfXJVlgpQ)

Scott
27-06-2014, 10:12 AM
Thanks for the link that was a very interesting watch looks to be pretty good quality

ADz
27-06-2014, 10:23 AM
Not bad, decent size/weight and price. Still think I would rather have the Warbonnet Superfly though :)

jus_young
27-06-2014, 11:31 PM
Ha! Just been watching the vid on the Dartmoor 10 item challenge again. Man, that was one hell of a pack size, I can see why you want to shrink things down.

Would love to do one of those challenges but wouldn't have a clue where to start on the list of what to take.

Scott
28-06-2014, 12:36 AM
I was very foolish on that trip the kit has be reduced already but im slowly getting it lighter.

jus_young
28-06-2014, 09:45 PM
I think foolish is a bit harsh Scott. Being that the number of items carried was limited anyway, bulk looked like the real issue. I have spent way too long looking at that problem and what gear would help solve it along with the weight aspect. My reasons have always been related to my rather knackered back and having to spend a few days hiking at a time. It can be done without spending a fortune but takes a bit of work.

Scott
29-06-2014, 08:53 AM
I think after that trip I took Martin's advice went home and had a look to see what I didn't use then took that into consideration for my next trip. As Ash said in a previous post I was carrying alot of water which really made the difference. Plus that ridiculous sleeping bag which I have since sold. I think I had a fair bit of weight in food as well as I have to have a very strange diet at times. That's one thing I'm working on at the moment.

Martin
30-06-2014, 10:29 AM
Scott, if I remember rightly, you were also carrying a bottle of brandy and a bottle of port?? :D

Martin

FishyFolk
30-06-2014, 10:39 AM
I think after that trip I took Martin's advice went home and had a look to see what I didn't use then took that into consideration for my next trip. As Ash said in a previous post I was carrying alot of water which really made the difference. Plus that ridiculous sleeping bag which I have since sold. I think I had a fair bit of weight in food as well as I have to have a very strange diet at times. That's one thing I'm working on at the moment.

Whenever I've gone trough the excercise of taking out what I did not use on my last trip, those items are always what I need on my next trip.... :sad:

Scott
30-06-2014, 10:45 AM
Martin it was just brandy lol

Ashley Cawley
04-07-2014, 12:31 PM
Funnily enough it was the fluids on that Dartmoor trip Justin mentioned (http://vimeo.com/16991733) which made me think about the Trave lTap for you Scott, as if I remember correctly you decided to leave 2 litres of water behind at the car on that trip as it would have been too heavy.

I'm actually sold on the idea of the Travel Tap, I've given it a good look over and it's amazing the number of things it can remove and deal with, I bought one a few days ago, should turn up in the next 24hrs. I think Martin's review of the Travel Tap (http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?736-Travel-Tap-by-Drinksafe-Systems) a few years back was actually quite harsh on it, as I know he can be an impatient bugger it hasn't put me off getting one! :p I think if you probably used it for it's primary purpose of filtering water to mouth as oppose trying to fill a 2L+ vessel you'd probably be alright. I'm going to give it a go as it is capable of filtering more nasties out than my millbank-bag can and plus I don't have to boil it after and then wait for it to cool.

I'll let you know my thoughts on it when I've used it for a good while.

Scott
04-07-2014, 12:49 PM
I have to admit I hadn't heard of it but i've been doing some research on it as well and it looks pretty impressive. I think I will be getting one soon. Interested to know what you think Ash.

Matus
29-10-2015, 11:01 AM
Hi folks, I do own two DD tarps normal brown, and green superlight.
I do recommend getting DD normal Sleeve with superlight tarp (60grams) plus you will need different pocket for it original is too small for convenient packing with sleeve and accessories. I would not recommend building "natural" shelters out of superlight trap even though material has ripstop. We managed to sleep in two hammocks in heavy rain under superlight, it wasn't disaster but tarp suits better for one person.
Size and weight difference is huge, for hammock use I would only go for superlight, price is quite reasonable as well.

standard including XL sleeve, ridgeline
http://www.hm.mako.sk/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/ddtarpvaha.jpg

superlight DD tarp in hammock sleve + ridgeline , 4 corner lines, two 8g alu. pegs and tatonka stuffsack
http://www.hm.mako.sk/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/DDsuperlightsleeve.jpg