PDA

View Full Version : Sycamore for spoon carving?

Wildling
04-07-2014, 06:42 PM
Hi guys ive begun my journey recently into bushcraft. and im currently looking at carving some basic treen. starting with a spoon I can get a hold of an abundance of sycamore in my area. I was just wondering is this wood ok to use. especially cooking and eating

Many thanks

:campfire:

headshot
04-07-2014, 09:51 PM
hi mate,sycamore is excelent to carve,it is readily available and is nice and soft so easy to work while green.
when you start a spoon/bowl try to take out as much wood as possible ie out of the bowl of the spoon as quick as possible meaning the same day as the least wood means less chance to split as it dries.
sycamore has a very high moisture content,i havent had much of a problem with it splitting but it does change shape a bit as it dries so dont be in to much of a hurry,let it dry in a cool airy place and trim of any sticky up bits when its finished moving.
sorry if i've gone on a bit,just have a go and learn as you go..good luck..atb kev...ps dont forget get to introduce yourself to everyone in the relevant section

Wildling
04-07-2014, 11:10 PM
hi mate,sycamore is excelent to carve,it is readily available and is nice and soft so easy to work while green.
when you start a spoon/bowl try to take out as much wood as possible ie out of the bowl of the spoon as quick as possible meaning the same day as the least wood means less chance to split as it dries.
sycamore has a very high moisture content,i havent had much of a problem with it splitting but it does change shape a bit as it dries so dont be in to much of a hurry,let it dry in a cool airy place and trim of any sticky up bits when its finished moving.
sorry if i've gone on a bit,just have a go and learn as you go..good luck..atb kev...ps dont forget get to introduce yourself to everyone in the relevant section

thanks for the advice Kev and taking the time to reply. Much appreciated!

Russ

headshot
04-07-2014, 11:31 PM
no probs russ,if you can get any pics on it will be good to see how you are getting on...atb kev