18-02-2011, 06:30 PM
Part 1

AVEEDUNUN

Have you taken the necessary steps
to complete your course of action?

AVEEGOTUN

Have you found what you are seeking?

AVEESEENUN

Have you seen that for which you search?

BETTURGOGITTEN

I had better depart and fetch the article
for which I was sent.

BIN-UN-DUNUN

I have been and carried out my alloted task.

COSTY MUCH DIDA

Are you prepared to tell me how much
it cost you?

CAIN TELLY

I cannot or will not give you the information
you seek.

CRIS

Potato Crisps

DIDDY NAWN

Do you know the person of whom
we speak?

DIDDY ABM

Did you have it? Did he/she have it?
Did anyone have it?

EDGE

A structure separating two fields.

This concludes Part 1 :D

Glen

bigstan
18-02-2011, 09:57 PM
Being married to a Cornish lass i sometimes get left out of coversations when we visit her folks, but i get my own back when we visit my Lancashire family.

comanighttrain
18-02-2011, 10:00 PM
hahaha I'd be totally lost.

Bambii
20-02-2011, 10:20 PM
hahaha I'd be totally lost.

Me too :D

dave budd
21-02-2011, 07:04 AM
rural devon isn't far off from Cornwall, so the phonetic spellings above make complete sense to me! :lol: I've been here for about 8 years now and I still get lost when I talking to some of my neighbours (mostly old devon farmers). Still, as long as you get the gist of it you are normaly alright ;)

It's like that bit if Hot Fuzz when Sgt Angle takes the dog handle with him to the farmer's place. didn't need the dog just a couple of translators!

GlenM
21-02-2011, 09:08 AM
It's just a bit of fun, a friend of mine compiled a list of words which you hear and I struggle with some of them myself. Region accents are fabulous in my opinion, the U.K has some crackers ,you only have to travel 10's of miles and they change, good stuff!

Glen

swkieran
23-02-2011, 01:42 PM
a snapshot of devon dialect lol,

When a boy, I was sat (sot there) at (to) the kitchen table drawing. My Uncle George came in and I asked him if he could draw. "Ees buy, muck auver a aidge" he replied. Draw=throw.Saltash Cetch = a wet ass and no veesh.Zuent = Smooth, smoothly.Orts = Left over food - as in 'C'mon, ait op yer orts'Be ee bout ort? = Are you doing anything?Black's a rouk = As black as a rook (Alec from Budleigh)Brave and Bravish = considerable, large, as in 'Come to, you godda bravish bidda lan.' Meaning - 'In the final analysis you have acquired a considerable acreage.'Definition of miserliness - 'Mean, ee'd cut a teddy een alf an maake dree awn' = 'He would bisect a potato and contrive three pieces'.Definition of luck - 'Lucky, eef ee putt down twelve gins ee'd pick op leb'm rabbits an a bleddy blackbird'.Blushing - 'Er went red's a carrot 'alf scraped'Switch off the light - 'Maake out the light'Sheeps head - 'urdle bumper' Spectator at a rugby match when a player was injured - "laib'm there, us'll tread'n een fer dung"

Fletching
23-02-2011, 01:52 PM
Que? Me no understand. Me from Barcelona. :)

jus_young
23-02-2011, 05:42 PM
Been in Devon for over twenty years. Go to work at some of the farms round here and I can't understand a word. You need to employ a translater just to give them the bill (or are they just faking it?)

Ashley Cawley
25-02-2011, 03:27 PM
Well done Glen!... you made me laugh! ... there's me thinking I was gona read real Cornish-language words and I thought hang on these don't sound Cornish!? :p

Metal mug
26-02-2011, 01:38 PM
The most important Cornish word......pasty. Or is it pastie? Does anyone know if there is a correct spelling or are they both acceptable?

Bambii
26-02-2011, 04:23 PM
The most important Cornish word......pasty. Or is it pastie? Does anyone know if there is a correct spelling or are they both acceptable?

Pasty :)

ANDYRAF
27-02-2011, 08:30 AM
" Teddy Hoggy "

Andy

Jack Russell
18-06-2011, 09:57 PM
can't beat a bit of regional uk variety, so I'll offer you a "lirral birra Lesta" - Upon arriving to live in Wales I asked a rather attractive local girl "sha we tek uz sarnies dahn the cut?" - To which I was actually requesting "would you care to share a picnic alongside the canal". Never mind, I enjoyed the cheese and pickle and a bottle of vimto on my Jack Jones.
I spent a load of time working in Bristol and love the "gasheads" - I'm particularly fond of "where's he to?" and of course, found on these here forums the wonderful "going for a bimble".
Ma's family are from Nottinghamshire and any form of bagged sweet is always "tuffy's".
It's no wonder our poor American members have to come for clarification of our dialect diversifications!!!!

tharr'l be a post by Jack then ain it