PDA

View Full Version : Wool blankets , need advice.

Welsh woodsman
20-07-2014, 09:36 PM
I'm looking to get a new wool blanket to sleep in and was wondering if Pendleton are any good for the outdoors? I always seem to hear about Hudson Bay but they are a lot more expensive than the Pendleton.
I know that Pendleton is a quality make but how thick and warm are their blankets , would I be better of buying a cheaper one , or should I splash out the cash and get a Pendleton?

Thank you.

Welsh woodsman
20-07-2014, 09:46 PM
Just to say I have been sleeping in a merino wool blanket but it is only a twin, but I think it's time for a upgrade

ammo
21-07-2014, 10:40 AM
John Atkinson. Has been the sole manufacturer of the Hudson bay blanket, for the past 50 years. They are owned by Hainsworth, who supply the Royal house with blankets. They also own Whitney and Pendleton.
I got a John Atkinson, super super merino wool blanket. It is 500gr per sq meter. It is a Hudson bay blanket, basically. I paid £40 on Ebay, New with tags. Absolute bargain, I really do recommend them.
Much better and more versatile than a sleep bag.

okcmco
22-07-2014, 11:27 PM
I have both as well as some surplus blankets. There is no doubt to me that the Hudson Bay (and Witney's Early) blankets are among the best or THE best. Pendleton makes a great blanket but the HBB is just a whole 'nother deal.
You may try to find some surplus Italian Navy blankets. They are blue and 100% wool. But I don't know if they are virgin wool. I think I paid 40 US. but the Hudson Bay blankets are wonderful. In The USA they can be had for a third of list price or better maybe find a seller in Canada or USA that is willing to Ship to the UK
MY 2 cents......

okcmco
23-07-2014, 07:19 PM
There was a well known mill in Minnesota called Fairbault, pronounced Fairbo and sometimes spelled that way. I have a few and they are nice. I really dont know many of the European brands

OakAshandThorn
27-07-2014, 04:18 PM
I personally wouldn't bother with anything large and thick (like a Pendleton or Hudson Bay) for the summer, unless you plan on spending time at altitude or are expecting chilly (less than 4 C) temps. It just wouldn't be worth the extra weight and bulk. However, your average 80% wool 20% synthetic surplus blanket at around 158 cm by 203 cm should be perfectly adequate down to 10 C provided you have a roll mat, Thermarest, or some other insulation on the ground. Pop on a wool hat, two layers of socks, and a sweater, and you can squeak it down to 4 C. ;)
Plus, if you ever get tired of it, you can turn the blanket into a large sweater/tunic :).

Midge_Fodder
02-01-2015, 08:19 AM
Last one I got was Yugoslavian army surplus, ebay for less than £20. Tbh your as well buying surplus as they are available, and blanket camping isn't for everyone. The good news is they are starting to become available at least, a year or two ago they were getting hard to find due to the blanket shirt make becoming as popular as it was.