PDA

View Full Version : Beginner Check List

1jack1pike
02-08-2014, 06:27 PM
Hi guys!

I am a hiker through and through - or as the lady friend likes to say "almost intrepid explorer", all the (relatively) hi tec equipment but recently with the hot weather I have been taking it easier, a walk here, a sit there, a walk there a brew there etc

Now I have always intended to get properly into bush craft but never had the knowledge or the 'push' - Now i think that time has come.

So I look to you - the wonderful people of the tindernet for advice. I want to go back to the basics - I want to buy only the minimal kit and make what I can, building up my skills and equipment as I go. So where shall I start? Can you help me by putting together a "check list" of things the noob bushcrafter?

Many thanks :D *#*

luresalive
02-08-2014, 07:41 PM
A knife... in theory you shouldn't need anything else!!!

OakAshandThorn
03-08-2014, 02:12 AM
1. knife and pocket folding saw - such as... pretty much any Mora or Hultafors $8-$22, Bahco Laplander $21
2. tarp or poncho with tie-out points - such as... Equinox Egret (10x8 ft) $46, CamoOutdoor poncho $35
3. 100 ft paracord
4. groundsheet, roll mat, 3 season sleeping bag, space blanket (preferably not the thin mylar ones) - such as... any cheap poly tarp, Thermarest Ridgerest SoLite $30, Snugpak Sleeper Lite $55, Grabber Outdoors Original space blanket $18
5. water bottle, mug, kettle/cook pot, stove and pot-stand - such as...any ordinary plastic water bottle (recycle a Gatorade :) ), Crusader canteen cup $26, Tatonka kettle 1 litre $26 or DIY coffee can pot, Trangia DIY pop-can stove with denatured alcohol fuel or Esbit stove with tablets $10, DIY pot-stand or Evernew Titanium stand $15
6. ferro rod, lighter, and-or strike-anywhere matches in tinderbox - such as... Light My Fire Scout 2 $15, mini bic lighter $1, Diamond strike anywhere matches $4
7. head torch with spare batteries - such as...Petzel Tikka $30
8. shemagh, bandana, or hat
9. map and compass - such as... Suunto A-10 $16
10. first-aid kit - such as... Adventure Medical Kit Lightweight & Watertight $30, or build one yourself with a ziploc bag.
11. duct tape - for tears and repairs...or tying-up zombies, curious interlopers,...:p

Rasputin
03-08-2014, 11:19 AM
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAMO-CAMOUFLAGE-TARPAULIN-TARP-2-4M-X-3-0M-WATERPROOF-/201140301047?pt=UK_SportingGoods_Camping_Accessori es&hash=item2ed4e56cf7 LOOK at this for configs of tarp ...http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/shelter/tarpology-setting-up-your-tarp-in-different-configurations.html ... or ... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251585216832?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649#ht_217wt_1192 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Zebra-Stainless-Steel-Camping-Bushcraft-Tin-/271270396262?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item3f28f9c166#ht_1493wt_1192 or a tin can / ss tea cannister with homemade bail https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gE6pmVtYZSQ or/ and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9DYw4aBY1g&list=UUNLjAYYsI-qfd7TKzb4yWXA this can be used as a pot stand with the soda can burner as well as a wood burner http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hultafors-HVK-Craftmans-Enhanced-HULHVKGH/dp/B004VQRK3Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1407064084&sr=8-1&keywords=hultafors or Mora knife and sleping bag or wool blanket. thats a starter kit add to or subtract to desired comfort level/ coffers. + paracord or (free) bailing twine. pegs and poles you can cut from woods.You can watch other youtube vids in the same genre to get more Ideas. This is not a definitive list just a (1) cheap way to start,atb Ken (If there is anything else you want PM me )

1jack1pike
03-08-2014, 12:43 PM
Thanks for the suggestions guys! Nice bits of kit there. But sorry to say this it not sort of what I was looking for.... maybe I didnt explain it well.

I was thinking more of what to do with the kit and the skills surrounding it. For example the "first thing" anybody should learn - as I have "some of the gear and no idea".

luresalive is right with the knife, and similar to what I was thinking - I want that attitude and skill set that will allow me to create and make what I need as I need it :P
If that makes any more sense! Soryy guys :P

FishyFolk
03-08-2014, 01:16 PM
How about putting together your own fire kit?

Start by getting yourself a modern typ fire steel, like this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ferro-Flint-Rod-Light-Fire-Steel-lighter-Paracord-Lanyard-Wood-Handle-Striker-/361009202716?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item540dd3461c

You can lean how to use it from ebay. Then put together a pouch with tinders like cotton pads with vaseline between the layers, fluff it up to catch the sparks. Some dried birch bark and some ranger bands
+ a bic lighter, some matches ina dry container, and a cheap sharp knife like an opinel#8 folding knife wich will be an excellent scarper for the fire steel, and supberb for carving feather sticks for that fire.

Then go on you tube to learn all the fire building skills. Now when autumns starts and the weather gets wetter is the perfect time to learn them.

And if you master those, maybe yoyu wanna go on to learning the real flint and steel, and learn to make char cloth, or punk wood, and put together a an 18th century type fire kit, before you move on to friction fire skills and tools :-)

And do get yourself a tarp. Then you have shelter covered , and learn to set them up in various set-ups. At the same time, you learn knots and rope skills.

This should keep you busy for a while. But a good knife like a Mora 711, Mora Companion etc all cheap but superb value for money wil set you off into carving. Perhaps carve your own spoon? Then a Mora spoon knife won't go amiss in your kit. Gives you something to do while watching those boring sunsets...

Rasputin
04-08-2014, 03:15 PM
Thanks for the suggestions guys! Nice bits of kit there. But sorry to say this it not sort of what I was looking for.... maybe I didnt explain it well.

I was thinking more of what to do with the kit and the skills surrounding it. For example the "first thing" anybody should learn - as I have "some of the gear and no idea".

luresalive is right with the knife, and similar to what I was thinking - I want that attitude and skill set that will allow me to create and make what I need as I need it :P
If that makes any more sense! Soryy guys :P

Ahh ! well instead of remaking the wheel I suggest you go to https://www.youtube.com/user/NaturalBushcraft/videos NBC's youtube site and go through whatever you would like to learn , As Rune says fire is very important and is prob. #1. ATB, Ken

OakAshandThorn
04-08-2014, 06:21 PM
Also see if you can take a first-aid course and get certified ;). Never know when or where you might need it...

rik_uk3
05-08-2014, 10:50 AM
Learn to cook, cooking is a skill sadly lacking in some 'bushcrafters' having seen some of them dish up some truly horrid food.

luresalive
05-08-2014, 11:36 AM
Ok, the easiest way to get your head round the basics is to focus on dave canterburys 5 C's of survivability..

Cutting tool .. A knife, carbon steel so that it also throws sparks
Combustion ... A lighter, matches or ferro rod, something to make fire
Container .. Metal, a crusader cup or billy can, to cook food and carry stuff
Cover ... A tarp or similar for shelter when needed
Cordage ... Paracord or similar, to make snares, peg out your tarp million other uses.

With these 5 small items you should in theory be able to survive indefinitely provided you can source water ( not usually difficult) and food.. Get to know your plants and how to fish, hunt and trap..

Try not to get sucked into the 'kit' mentality, practise with your 5 items and you'd be surprised how simple it becomes once your knowledge grows, learn slowly and take the knowledge in carefully, practise, practise, practise it'll become second nature after a while.

1jack1pike
05-08-2014, 10:01 PM
Thanks for the help guys!

What I want to do is buy as I need. Been selling / giving away most of my kit recently for this reason... I want to set out to do something, achieve it, tick it off the list then buy then buy (but ideally make) an item that allows me to do the next thing so really going back to the basics.

So my list is going as follows:

1a) Make Fire (matches, lighter) - enough to boil water (proving I can do it)
1b) Buy nice fire steel
1c) Make Fire (fire steel) - enough to boil water
1d) Identify different fungi for fire lighting, best tinder, wood etc
1e) Make char cloth to aid in fire starting

2a) Make Shelter (Natural)
2b) Make cordage - to improve shelter (and to prove it works)

This is not a definitive or set list by far but things like that, I attempted the fire one the other day and after half an hour or so I wrote it off as a dismal failure... going back soon hopefully to try again with a different mind set (and more matches!)

1jack1pike
06-08-2014, 02:23 PM
First attempt at using a tarp (DD 3x3) and tree huggers (climbing sling with carabiner) to put up the hammock. Thought it worked out ok, what do you think? I put it up in A frame, being a nice enough day and not actually needing it to sleep under I folded one corner over so I could see the world outside.

Lessons Learnt:
1) More distance needed between trees - tried to put tarp on the diagonal but it was not enough apart
2) Keep hammock stored in a way that the rope / string wont tangle
3) Bring more rubbish bags for other peoples crap
4) 4 bungees for each corner & get two more for each end along ridge line for easy and quicker set up.

Ehecatl
06-08-2014, 06:19 PM
Jack - an alternative for you to consider for your # 2) Keep hammock stored in a way that the rope / string wont tangle

I attach lines to my tarp using the Siberian Hitch. It's easily undone, so when I pack up I undo and then coil the lines neatly and pop 'em back in the bag before the tarp goes in. That way I'm good to go next time whether I want my tarp square or diamond.

Also, I find it's not so much the distance between your two trees that's essential, but the distance between your two trees and the other trees used by loud snorers :happy-clapping:

Cheers,

M@

Bernie
07-08-2014, 12:31 PM
My advice would be pretty simple:

1. A little stove, a pan or kettle, and a mug. Enjoying a brew is the most basic bushcraft "skill".
2. You should always carry a first aid kit when you carry sharps (knives, axes, saws), or even when not.
3. Get training or advice on how to use the sharps if you're in any doubt.

Be responsible for yourself.
Help others whenever you can.

1jack1pike
07-08-2014, 02:07 PM
Thanks for the help guys. I think slowly I am putting a plan together of what I am going to do.... Got a busy few weeks ahead but when it calmes down a bit I am going to get a fire going, only want a small one - like Bernie said getting the water to boil is the achievement

Seen talk on the GBBG about the new kelly kettle? Ghilli Kettle? (whatever make it is) where there is a "hobo stove" attachment, think I might save up for one of these to practice my fire making skills without damaging the earth.

As for first aid - that is a must, always got one on me even if its only a handful of plasters etc.

Not to worried about the knife skill as such, my father is a carpenter and joiner and I find myself pretty handy too - picked up most of my tool skills from him.

One thing I love about the whole Bushcraft Community is how willing people are to help each other, even with daft questions (like this) people give away information and much more so freely. Its such a nice things to see, especially in a world where we are all about money and personal ambitions that there are still communities working together for each other.