PDA

View Full Version : Eating frogs :d

bushcraft.mcf
24-02-2011, 03:54 PM
anyone tried eating frogs ? always wanted to try but dont know how to cook,prepare them.

FrenchBen
24-02-2011, 04:21 PM
Would anybody be really surprised if I said I did already eat some? :D

Well it was not in the wilds though but at my grandma's when I was a kid... As far as I can remember, it was quite nice, tasted like quails... However, only ate thighs and they were oversalted (does that word exist...?), but good.

Sorry bushcraft.mcf but I don't know how she cooked and prepared them.

By the way, it was the only time in my life I ate some. And apart from me, don't know of anyone in my friends ever having tasted this so-called "spécialité française" or "plat national" ;)

I don't know about british regulations concerning frogs, but most species are protected in France so you can't trap or kill them. The few ones you can are to be caught in a short period of the year. But I think it's a valuable source of food in an outdoor context : they're so easy to catch and may be huge sometimes.

fish
24-02-2011, 04:24 PM
yep done it,get the frog kill it cut the rear legs of in one piece then separate the 2 legs with the knife scrape entrails out,pull off the skin down to the ankle,cut off now ready to wrap in ransome leaves and then in tin foil and cook in hot coals or Dutch oven.

Martin
24-02-2011, 04:41 PM
You need to be very careful with this. Unless you can be absolutely certain of your identification, many species of frogs and toads (including the common frog) are protected by the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 and carries a penalty of £1000 per animal.

Martin

bushcraft.mcf
24-02-2011, 11:16 PM
thanks for the info guys very usefull:D and ill look oot for that martin thanks:D

jbrown14
25-02-2011, 02:07 AM
Come on over to the US, St. Patrick made no stopover here, so we've frogs a-plenty; especially the big, bullfrog variety. That said, I haven't eaten them, but a couple of my friends did on one outing. Said they really do taste like chicken. (So does rattlesnake; that I know from experience.) :D

Josh

FrenchBen
25-02-2011, 07:55 AM
Ain't rattlesnake really protected Josh? ;)

And forgot to mention one thing that you reminded me : here in France, bullfrog is considered as invasive species (and actually may spread diseases against which indigenous species are unable to defend and tend to overwhelm those species).

As a result, not only is it allowed to trap them all year round, but it is actually forbidden to release one you catch, even if not in purpose. You have to kill it. It's about the same with catfish for example.

I think I remember reading bullfrogs are a threat to local american species in the States too (Colorado especially). Don't know much about that.

Anyway, in the UK, it seems to be fairly less widespread than in France which is the most concerned european country with this frog.

For what it's worth, here's what I found on the web :

Hope this helps ;)

jbrown14
25-02-2011, 11:46 AM
Ain't rattlesnake really protected Josh? ;)

And forgot to mention one thing that you reminded me : here in France, bullfrog is considered as invasive species (and actually may spread diseases against which indigenous species are unable to defend and tend to overwhelm those species).

I think I remember reading bullfrogs are a threat to local american species in the States too (Colorado especially). Don't know much about that.

Here in New York State, we have two different Rattlesnakes that are native to this area, the Timber Rattlesnake, and the Massasauga Rattlesnake (to round off a trio of poisonous snakes, we also have the Copperhead as a native.) The Timber Rattlesnake is listed as "threatened" in our state, and the Massasauga is listed as "endangered" by the state. Neither are protected by Federal law, but are protected by State law. So, it would be illegal for me to kill one and eat it in the wild. All that being said, the rattlesnake I ate was served up at a restaurant in Texas alongside my Ostrich burger (a bit dry, but not too gamey; I prefer Bison.)

Now onto Bullfrogs: the American Bullfrog or Rana catesbeiana, is apparently not native to North America; I had no idea. They were introduced sometime in the early 1900's, but I couldn't find any specifics about that (in the 2 minutes I spent looking...) They are not, as far as I know, any major source of threat to local wildlife at least around where, and have no special instructions or warnings associated with them on the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation website. It may be different in other parts of the country where the local fauna differ quite a bit from ours, especially in the area of predators.

So, next time I'm out, and I see a Bullfrog, I just may try and make a meal out of those legs, but the Rattlesnakes around here are off limits.

Josh

Ashley Cawley
25-02-2011, 02:58 PM
Funny this thread should crop up... I was out camping with a friend a few days ago and as he was fishing, I laughed at how easy I caught a frog on the lake-side with it almost swimming into my hands, I said to him: "talk about easy protein" and he mentioned about trying them. Neither of us have, but will no doubt will at some point.

I always remember my Dads tale of him boiling up a few frogs on the Moors during his DofE. :camping: