PDA

View Full Version : new little keychain firestarter/led light

therealmow
26-02-2011, 09:57 AM
Hey guys got this http://www.sogshopping.com/gadgets/kslp2-20.html?SID=gipoop7m0q1cbqs48s4jup96f2 the other day as a gift from a friend and I have to say its really nice.
The firestarter is a bit short but it throws some nice spark and the flashlight is actually quite bright, overall I find it really nice for a keychain, EDC carry.

Cheers
Mauricio

Fletching
26-02-2011, 10:52 AM
Hi Mauricio,

I've got something very similar which I keep in my Leatherman pouch. Works really well for its size.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5169/5340217521_427cd761e6.jpg

+1 from me.

Steve

JEEP
28-02-2011, 06:33 AM
That is actually quite cool looking. One of these may have to go on the "shiny stuff I need" list.

paul standley
28-02-2011, 03:49 PM
I've got to stop reading these Shiny new gadget posts - it's costing me a small fortune and the wife is getting suspicious...!

Fletching
28-02-2011, 04:42 PM
I've got to stop reading these Shiny new gadget posts - it's costing me a small fortune and the wife is getting suspicious...!

Pull out the main fuse while she's watching Corrie then get your 'all in one firesteel and torch' device, turn it on and say "don't worry love, I'll sort this. I told you this would come in handy". :)

bigzee
28-02-2011, 06:15 PM
Fletching: I can vouch for your suggestion there. We were lucky enought to have a power cut recently, and of course I dug out the gas lamp and home made burners. Whilst the other members of my tribe huddled round the lantern actually talking to each other, I brewed up some tea. Of course power came back on as the pasta meal was bubbling away and I insisted on seeing the job through (to fully justify all those garage-fiddling hours). Mrs B was so chilled out by then she left the telly and electric lights off so as not to spoil the ambience!

Fletching
09-03-2011, 12:01 PM
Hi Guys,

I ordered a couple of these (to complement the one I already own), one with torch and firesteel and one with torch and diamond sharpener on the 2nd March.

I've been tracking the items with UPS and just this morning got a call from UPS saying that there was £16.17 to pay on the package. I phoned them up and they said that £5 of this was for VAT import - fair enough - and that £11 was the UPS handling fee for paying the VAT.

This additional cost is almost as much as the value of the items themselves, so I told then to send the package back to the sender. Therefore giving them the cost of returning the item to the States.

I've also sent a mail to SOG knives (the seller - link in first post here) outlining the situation and I'll keep you informed if they give me a refund or not.

Steve

paul standley
09-03-2011, 12:31 PM
Focus DIY stores in UK sell a keyring minature LED torch in metal with key ring attached for £0.99 pence. these could be adapted to fit on end of a firesteel easily enough. Doesn't help Steve though... :-(

Paul

Fletching
15-03-2011, 03:46 PM
Hi Guys,

I ordered a couple of these (to complement the one I already own), one with torch and firesteel and one with torch and diamond sharpener on the 2nd March.

I've been tracking the items with UPS and just this morning got a call from UPS saying that there was £16.17 to pay on the package. I phoned them up and they said that £5 of this was for VAT import - fair enough - and that £11 was the UPS handling fee for paying the VAT.

This additional cost is almost as much as the value of the items themselves, so I told then to send the package back to the sender. Therefore giving them the cost of returning the item to the States.

I've also sent a mail to SOG knives (the seller - link in first post here) outlining the situation and I'll keep you informed if they give me a refund or not.

Steve

*** UPDATE ***

Details from UPS as follows:

London, United Kingdom 15/03/2011 15:52 The receiver stated the order was too expensive and refused this delivery / Package abandoned by the sender and the receiver
London, United Kingdom 10/03/2011 20:25 The receiver stated the order was too expensive and refused this delivery / UPS will contact the sender and/or receiver regarding the status or disposition of this package
10/03/2011 15:18 The receiver stated the order was too expensive and refused this delivery.

Martin
15-03-2011, 03:56 PM
So, UPS now have your parcel as no one wants it? :D

Martin

Fletching
15-03-2011, 04:15 PM
So, UPS now have your parcel as no one wants it? :D

Martin

Pretty much, even though the guys at SOG were expecting a return which I agreed with them. I asked UPS what 'abandoned' means. Apparently, after a short period, they auction of the items and keep the profits for themselves. Nice of them.

I've mailed the guys at SOG to 'request' the item be returned. We'll see if there's anything worthwhile/left over after UPS have destroyed this transaction and any goodwill (if I'd have known beforehand that there would be extra charges, I wouldn't have bothered).

Caveat Emptor :(