PDA

View Full Version : Croatia

midas
25-11-2014, 06:11 PM
The Great White hunter,(me)lol.has just returned from shooting wild boar in Croatia.Or should I say the others have!!
Alas none of the pigs passed my pegs,Though I was a good luck charm for who ever got the next peg to me.
So heres a photo off my Trophy.12654

Thumbcrusher
25-11-2014, 07:15 PM
That's not gonna fill you mate! Might have to have some chips with that one Midas.

jbrown14
25-11-2014, 08:57 PM
Is that a Remington 700 in your right hand, Midas? Love to get my hands on one of those someday in .30-06 for large game (deer, boar...)

Even if you didn't have much luck, it looks like you had great weather! :D

Josh

OakAshandThorn
25-11-2014, 10:00 PM
True, that wouldn't fill your belly unless you were an owl :p. Fine weather by the looks :).

midas
26-11-2014, 12:08 PM
Is that a Remington 700 in your right hand, Midas? Love to get my hands on one of those someday in .30-06 for large game (deer, boar...)

Even if you didn't have much luck, it looks like you had great weather! :D

JoshHi Josh,Yes,Weather was great,but dropped to minus 3 at night,Yes, its a Remington 700BDL.LH.in .270 Win,(which is a 30/06,necked down)
also have a Remington 700PPS.RH.Sniper Rifle in .308.and many others L/A Winchesters in 45/70,30/30..44Mag.
30/06 is a good plains game round.But as I shoot in France too !.Were Military calibres are restricted,I use a .270.W.
Though I do believe there has been some relaxing of that law/ruling in the last year.
As always,had I been hunting Roe or Fallow Deer,I could have had 5 or 6 easy shots.But thats usually the case.
Good Hunting.m

Ehecatl
26-11-2014, 05:54 PM
Is it much hassle getting longs out of the country? (Or do you hire them out there?)

midas
27-11-2014, 07:06 PM
Is it much hassle getting longs out of the country? (Or do you hire them out there?)

No its not a problem,bit slow if there are 40 with guns going on same plane.
We have both UK FAC,n European Firearms permits,.
When booking in at airport,one weighs luggage,(ammo locked in case),and ones gun/rifle.Then whilst suitcase goes on the belts,you take your rifle(locked in a box)and hand it to two security porters.Who transport them airside.
We used to take them up ourselves n customs perfered it as the were able to process in two's n threes rather than 15 at once.
You then take yourself thro passport n security,n meet up with your rifle airside.in the customs/vat refund office.
They will photo copy your FAC,n compare number on rifle to entery on FAC.Thats it !!!next time you see the rifles is when they come out on the luggage belt in Croatia.
Before the were in europe we had to go to the police desk n collect a permit to carry in Croatia.
But now they are in europe its just a glance at your paperwork if they feel inclined.
Returning to Uk is a dream from Croatia.just book it as normal.then take a few desks down the counter pop it thro a scanner.a quick number check ,lock your box n its on your way.
Heathrow on return one would amagine would be simple.(As rifles are brought direct to red channel.).as the have alread photocopied all documents..but no alas no one "border control officer"typing all the details into a computor ..With one FINGER.not two.Then getting up from desk looking at one rifle Then Ditto Ditto.hahaha
Most organisers.do have a few guns,for hire.or people will take one of their other rifles for a "friend" if they havent anything suitable.
Go to some were like South Africa..n say to the policeman,as you shoulder three rifles off the baggage belt.
"Do you want to look?"His reply .."What are they..."RIFLES"2x Remington 1xWinchester..etc.?..No THANKS,I've got ones like that at home"But if they'd been Purdy's or Holland n Holland !!!I would have"....

Ehecatl
28-11-2014, 08:28 PM
Thanks for the explanation Midas - I found it interesting.

shepherd
07-12-2014, 08:28 AM
fantastic bud, my boss left yesterday on a 2 week pig hunting trip, he goes every year and they usually get a fair few between them, promised me some boar tusks on his return! then he is off to Africa again... last time he got a buffalo and a crocodile... all of which are on the wall in the shoot dining room... one day I might have enough money... maybe!!

midas
07-12-2014, 11:27 AM
Hi Shep.Not too expensive,around £1.500,all in.plus your bar bill.fly out on the Thurs.from Heathrow.return Monday.3 days intesive hunting around 3drives pos 4,a day.
When first started going after "war",we were often shooting 32 pigs a day.
But last years bad winter killed of a lot of the young boar.We ended with 20+ pigs between 16 guns.
First year I havent "scored"..If I'd been shooting Deer I'd have ahad 3 Roe n 2 Fallow.But thats sods law.haha.
There are quite a few venues,in France,Loire valley.at very reasonable rates...
Africa is a different "kettle of fish"or Game...Costing Thousands.n thousands more depending on you "trophies",.more fun on a cull safari.
Don't tend to collect trophies,though have Tusks of first boar I shot in Hungary.Often just take a tuft of hair,bind it n place in the empty cartridge case.
The boar we shoot are all cull animals for the food chain..Tho the odd trophy keiler puts in an appearance n is taken.(no trophy fees.)
Most of us ,go back every year.Whether we get a pig or not.