PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on the Bear Grylls field sharpener?

Law
13-12-2014, 09:37 PM
"Bear Grylls is a joke and a sell out lol"

Ok, now that's out of the way. Hopefully the thread won't derail into attacking Grylls.

Just wondering if anyones used this..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gerber-Grylls-Field-Sharpener-31-001270/dp/B006VEEQ6S/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

The revies seem fairly positive. Would this kind of sharpener work well on stainles steel blades?

saxonaxe
13-12-2014, 10:11 PM
I'm sure it works well enough to give a usable edge. I use a sharpener which looks similar to the rods in the BG model but not as sophisticated, it's just a single rod of a medium grade. My knives are carbon steel, not stainless and that method of sharpening makes the knife buffs with the fancy waterstone sets cringe I know, but hey!
I think I paid about £5 for one rod, so two rods in a case/holder is reasonable for £15.33 delivered, I'd say...:)

http://www.extremely-sharp.com/images/P/10900.jpg

midas
13-12-2014, 10:44 PM
Don't reckon any of these gadget,Can't beat a good Arkansaw stone.or the like!
Though I find a bit of fine wet n dry.(stuck on a board)then strapped is all that is required to keep a sharp edge...

OakAshandThorn
13-12-2014, 11:06 PM
I believe this is the diamond sharpener...
If it is, the folks in the US who use it also have favourable reviews. Can't give my opinion, but I prefer all-ceramic sharpening stones, like the Spyderco Doublestuff. Diamond stones are better for rough sharpening and removing nicks.

ian c
13-12-2014, 11:12 PM
I have a few sharpening stones for using at home but when out I use a diamond wet stone by DMT and a mini steel that I carry and have used them to sharpen most of the blades that I use, if I carry a machete/ parang, or axe I have a small flat chainsaw file. I have also used some wet an dry to sharpen my knives, it does not weigh anything and can also be used for it intended purpose of sanding.

midas
14-12-2014, 01:28 PM
As we are on knife /blade sharpening,anyone got any tips on sharpening CERAMIC Blades?????

TheDaddy187
14-12-2014, 11:01 PM
If I may make a recommendation...
I use the fallkniven dc3... has diamond side and ceramic side... good field sharpener...
it sharpened my mora robust to razor edge... I actually shaved some leg hair to test...
I would say, at 3 inches long its a tad on the small side but still usable...
so I would say go for the dc4 (yes it is 4 inches long)

Even though it had a very keen edge I still stropped it...
my strop is a piece of old furnature leather I roll up and include in the bottom of my kit...

ian c
15-12-2014, 12:00 AM
I got SWMBO a ceramic kitchen knife and borrowed a ceramic steel from a chef friend to sharpen it when it was blunt, it was good till someone borrowed the knife and tried to chop through some bones and chipped the blade.

midas
15-12-2014, 11:19 AM
I got SWMBO a ceramic kitchen knife and borrowed a ceramic steel from a chef friend to sharpen it when it was blunt, it was good till someone borrowed the knife and tried to chop through some bones and chipped the blade.

Thanks for that Ian c,They are rather delicate,the true ceramics,think the ones mixed with metal powder(security/Scanner ID)
are a little stronger.But still no chopping or prizing lids off tins.is advised..which of course one shouldn't do with a metal knife either.but may get away with.

Paul De Fitter
15-12-2014, 02:06 PM
I think I paid about £5 for one rod, so two rods in a case/holder is reasonable for £15.33 delivered, I'd say...

http://www.extremely-sharp.com/images/P/10900.jpg

I have one of those, I've got rid of the cover & just carry the rod !
I carry it in a pouch on my knife belt along with the biggest padded bandage I can stuff in there.

Tony1948
15-12-2014, 05:01 PM
I use my leather belt,rap round a small tree.

midas
15-12-2014, 05:12 PM
Another good tip,if you loose the edge on your knife,n you have a vehicle nearby.
The ground top of the door windows will restore the edge.
Have found this useful when gutting/skinning Boar or deer.

Ehecatl
15-12-2014, 06:04 PM
I use my leather belt,rap round a small tree.

Mark used his leather belt on me after I talked about sewing machines at the last meet :ashamed: