PDA

View Full Version : Washing A Down Sleeping Bag

Chubbs
06-01-2015, 09:47 PM
Following on from my post in 'what have you bought now', I now need to wash this down sleeping bag.

I know how to wash it but what have you all used in the past for a cleaning agent. I know you can get Nikwax and stuff like that but is there a cheaper product like a natural soap that can be used. I know 'Daz' is out of the question as it doesn't do the down any good. This bag must be 50 years old but its as mint as the day it was sold. Considering its age, the bag lofts really well so I want to treat it with kid gloves before I take the scissors and sewing machine to it.

Cheers.

David_JAFO
07-01-2015, 07:42 AM
hello Neil,
I swear by Lux Soap flakes, Stergene, & non bio Eco detergent. All can be used in a hand wash too. I've used these on my kit for years, followed by Nikwax wash in waterproofing can't go wrong there :wink:
Regards
David

-Tim-
07-01-2015, 03:39 PM
Not done a sleeping bag but I have washed my down jacket, twice. Both with Nikwax down wash.

Once in the washing machine and once by hand (in marigolds) the hand wash was far better.
Both followed by a long stint in the tumble drier with the spiky ball things.

Hope this helps
Cheers
Tim

Chubbs
07-01-2015, 05:23 PM
David, Tim

Thanks for the advice lads.

Never thought of soap flakes David. Have looked about and seen that Boots do their own brand and its much cheaper than Nikwax. As I'm washing it in the bath, I think I will be financially better off if I do it this way.

Cheers Chaps.

David_JAFO
07-01-2015, 08:26 PM
hello,
Neil that's where I used to wash my sleeping bag in the bath by hand or in our old house, the large Belfast sink, had two sinks one large other small side by side. Aye Boots do soap flakes at a reasonable price, if memory serves me near 500g box? Liquid Stergene, Woolite, & liquid Eco non Bio are just as good, Stergene was great for washing the green gear, no colour runs & the woolly pully no floral or other whiff afterwards just a nice natural fresh smell. If you have already treated your garments etc.. with Nikwax etc.. the soap flakes should reduce the chance of washing out the waterproofing. Doesn't do any harm giving the item(s) a second Nikwax treatment prior to washing.
Regards
David

Chubbs
07-01-2015, 10:43 PM
Thanks David

Not done it yet as I am going to make the basic flat quilt from it before washing. Doing it this way will make the washing and drying easier before I finish off by going round it with a cotton type webbing. Its a real shame in a way that I'm doing this as that bag was really made to last and for its age there is not a stitch out of place.

Its going to take time, as before I can open it up wide I will have to machine sew two lines very close together either side of the top and bottom join all the way around. Doing it this way will prevent any down coming out when I cut between the lines to open it up. Its a tip I picked up from Jus Young on an underquilt project I did a while ago and it saves so much mess and time pinning it all up.

Do you know much about these bags David.

EDIT:

Do I need to proof the down before washing it or will I strip it of anything if I don't, getting a bit confused now (that doesn'ttake a lot !!). Don't want to wreck its loft or anything before I use it.

David_JAFO
13-01-2015, 08:13 PM
hello,
Neil. The old issue sleeping bags were down & as like down duvets, jackets etc.. it can be a long washing & drying process. When down gets wet it can go into 'clumps' *(compact mass or lumps of down) & has to be given a vigorous shake to separate these during the washing & drying process. If your using a tumble drier, low heat, keep checking, remove, shake, follow these steps till dry. The cold no heat setting on a tumble drier does fluff up the down nicely too as well as a post wash good airing outdoors. With down like any fibre sleeping system if you can, don't roll it up & store it, hang loose & allow air to circulate, I try to keep my sleeping bags hanging up in the airing cupboard unrolled, you'll feel the benefits when using. Good luck with your endeavours there Neil.
Regards
David