PDA

View Full Version : Reducing the kit - Scotland trip

snag68
02-03-2011, 11:19 PM
Hi all,

I've spoken with a couple of you in the chat room about this trip I'm planning with my mate, but those who don't know, I'm off to Mull off the West coast of Scotland in the spring.

I've drawn up a kit list and started to 'whittle away' at stuff I'm never going to use whilst there.

Firstly the purpose of the trip and what we're planning...

We are travelling up in a Landy so we can explore some of the 'out of the way areas'. We are also planning to get some floating done in a Canadian Canoe. The Landy will stow the kit, canoe etc and is equiped with a whinch, snorkel etc..

This will be for 7 days.

I want to explore the island, canoe and fish the sea Lochs for me dinner.

So to the kit list I have so far.

Norwegian Army 35L backpack with Snugpak grab bag attached to the bottom. I'l also carry a German Army bread bag - excellent small canvas shoulder bag for possibles.

SLEEPING
Tarp for shelter, probably attached to the vehicle.
Sleeping bag (with thermal liner) and bivvi bag.

COOKING
Swiss Army volcano kettle (cooker/mug/waterbottle)
4L Dutch oven & cast iron skillet
Millbank bag & Katadyn pump - depending on water sources available.

TOOLS
Bernie Garland B&T knife with fire steel (possibly my F1 as back up)
GB small forest axe
trenching tool
Swiss Army Knife
Tinder pooch
DC4 sharpener
LED Lenser T7 torch and spare batteries & head torch
Telescopic spinning rod & reel + telescopic sea rod & reel (inc hooks/weight/lures)

CLOTHING
Swanni bush shirt
Cragghopper trouser x2
Cragghopper shirts x2 - 1x wet & 1x dry
Waterproof jacket & trousers
Goretex boots
Snugpak Elite Shirt
Woolen hat + leather gloves

There will be rations for week, a 1st aid kit, we have 2x marine band hand held radios just incase. Life Jackets etc.

Not forgetting OS maps, compass and Garmin hand held

So, anything I've missed or you wouldn't consider taking.

When I started this 'bushcraft lark' it took me ages to reduce the kit I felt I should take. I want the minimum without comprimising safety.

Your thought please

Daz

great white ape
03-03-2011, 09:45 AM
OS explorer map, bog roll and bushcraft schnapps - fortified vodka and some ale on the side.

Enjoy

paul standley
03-03-2011, 10:14 PM
Daz, looks as if you've got it mostly covered, I'm envious...!

I've just recently got a tarp and 2 sets of king poles to rig up a 'tarp tent' directly off the back of my Landy Flander to give me some touring flexibilty this summer. Total cost was £43 for 4.5 m x 6m tarp and 4 king poles at 1.8m height including guy ropes.

2 poles as corner poles, 1 pole as cross-bar between corner poles and 1 pole (+ 3ft aluminium extender tube out of the garage) as lateral ridge bar from back of Flander roof (fixed to roof with old mobile phone windscreen sucker foot) to centre of cross-bar. Haven't rigged it yet but works on paper...!

Paul.

JonnyP
03-03-2011, 10:36 PM
Mull is stunning.. Don't forget to go and see the sea eagles, and keep an eye out for the otters.

Woodwose
04-03-2011, 10:26 AM
That sounds great, but don't forget the midge repellent.

comanighttrain
04-03-2011, 11:08 AM
Paracord would be my first suggestion - make a length long enough for a drying line - youll need it!

Fletching
04-03-2011, 03:20 PM
I'm surprised Martin hasn't suggested taking a team of Sherpas along to carry your kit and set up camp for you. ;)

snag68
06-03-2011, 07:59 PM
Oooh Sherpas, there's an idea

Adam Savage
08-03-2011, 08:30 PM
How about a compact digital camera to capture the moments? I know its not essential kit but it's nice to have something to show. other than that, yeah, you have all bases covered in true bushy craftiness :)

JonnyP
08-03-2011, 08:35 PM
That sounds great, but don't forget the midge repellent.

Mull is not too bad for midges. Yes they are about, but nothing compared to the mainland Glens..

great white ape
09-03-2011, 04:16 PM
Mate and myself stayed in Mull, we took a small inflatable rib from Mull to Oban and down the locke all the way to the end on Glencoe (?)

Was mental.

It got worse when we took this rib out to fingles cave and the way back it chopped up to gale force 5.

Have some great photos of mull, its a real treat

snag68
09-03-2011, 09:33 PM
Thanks guys,

Got the paracord and camera with spare batteries - might even do a review of the trip with mini kit reviews thrown in.