PDA

View Full Version : Polish Army Lavvu + Woodstove = Extremely cozy

susannewilliams
03-02-2015, 05:58 PM
Hey folks,

Just came back from an epic snow laden weekend out in the german mountains in the Harz with about 30 german bushcrafters. Fun stuff.

I used my Polish Army Lavvu with my Ti-Goat stove and I can tell you - it was AWESOME.

-Tim-
03-02-2015, 06:35 PM
Looks a nice and cosy set up with the stove :) any chance of a review?

Cheers
Tim

susannewilliams
03-02-2015, 06:55 PM
Looks a nice and cosy set up with the stove :) any chance of a review?

Cheers
Tim

Hmmm....I did film a little bit. I think I could do one, yes. However, if I were buying a stove now I would wait for the Hill People Gear small Shepherd Stove.

Thumbcrusher
03-02-2015, 07:37 PM
nice use of the arm hole for the flue!:happy-clapping:

rik_uk3
04-02-2015, 01:24 PM
Sue, I love your trip reports but that setup is an accident waiting to happen IMHO

OakAshandThorn
04-02-2015, 04:14 PM
Sue, I love your trip reports but that setup is an accident waiting to happen IMHO
As long as you keep a controlled burn (no wild bonfires in the stove) and keep a tent flap partially open to provide ventilation, there's really nothing to worry about...except waking up slightly chilly and having to re-stoke the fire. ;)
Hot tenting is very effective in that you don't necessarily need a super-duper arctic-rated sleeping bag, you can compromise and let the stove make up the difference in providing warmth. And because the area inside a partially enclosed shelter like this one is small, it doesn't take much to make a hot tent HOT.

Boucaneer
18-10-2015, 11:31 PM
Great pictures and good see one in action.

Yes, I'm really liking these P'lavvu's, I have just bought two and shall have a look at them when I get back from India in February.

I may attach a third half tent poncho to extend the width a little by two foot, and shall certainly put a 2 foot removable extension skirt on the bottom to extend the height.

I am quite interested in building a wood stove to fit inside and until I do I will just try to heat the tent with a hurricane lantern and cook on a small wood gas burner.

I'm looking forward to seeing my new P'lavvu's with my own eyes.

FishyFolk
19-10-2015, 06:04 AM
As long as you keep a controlled burn (no wild bonfires in the stove) and keep a tent flap partially open to provide ventilation, there's really nothing to worry about...except waking up slightly chilly and having to re-stoke the fire. ;)
Hot tenting is very effective in that you don't necessarily need a super-duper arctic-rated sleeping bag, you can compromise and let the stove make up the difference in providing warmth. And because the area inside a partially enclosed shelter like this one is small, it doesn't take much to make a hot tent HOT.

That is true. But for comfy reasons I'd rather go with an arctic rated sleeping bag and no stove if I was sleeping alone, rather than waking up shivering trough the night because the heat has gone out.
Maybe I was pampered in the army as when we where winter hot tenting, regulations said that each tent needed a fire watch, and with a squad of nine rotating between radio, on stag, fire sleep, that was no problem, the tent was always hot, with a red hot stove vibrating with heat in the tent, hehe.

But still won't trade that with a night in the hammock :-)

rik_uk3
19-10-2015, 07:58 PM
Great pictures and good see one in action.

Yes, I'm really liking these P'lavvu's, I have just bought two and shall have a look at them when I get back from India in February.

I may attach a third half tent poncho to extend the width a little by two foot, and shall certainly put a 2 foot removable extension skirt on the bottom to extend the height.

I am quite interested in building a wood stove to fit inside and until I do I will just try to heat the tent with a hurricane lantern and cook on a small wood gas burner.

I'm looking forward to seeing my new P'lavvu's with my own eyes.

Put these shelters in perspective and they are nothing more than a couple of ex army poncho's...not up to a lot in reality

FishyFolk
19-10-2015, 08:14 PM
Put these shelters in perspective and they are nothing more than a couple of ex army poncho's...not up to a lot in reality

You just insulted generations of Norwegian infantry soldiers who put their pride in how many nights they have in their "button tents" as we call these. I have spent nighst down to minus 30*C in them, in the mountains, heated with a single Optimus 111 stove...but okay, it was a whole squad in there, and with one tent sheath (poncho if you must) for every man. it gets to be quite a sizeable tent.

Here is a 7 sheath tent (sleeps seven squaddies with full kit, but I have to admit that if you are afraid of a little same sex intimacy, it's not for you, lol)

Boucaneer
19-10-2015, 09:31 PM

Oh I don't know Rik, a small tent that one can Bergen and can have a fire or naked flame in is a great little tent.

Pretty tough and durable, easy to escape/exit if needed in the middle of the night, reasonably warm by accounts, cheap to buy, quick and easy to put up and take down and kind of a homage to a wigwam, if only in a minuscule way.

I like them, but like it's been said, it's a bit or a Marmite thing, you either love them or hate them.

I think it will be a fun shelter and I have seen a way to add an extra third poncho extending the width a little and a different door opening style. http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/19/9aea33170d2cd91a47570fe503124f95.jpg

I may also extend the height with a removable skirt similar to this design, perhaps a diagonal line from the apex instead of vertical as in this picture.
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/19/a0e6813c4bee03ee383f6275a8d49293.jpg

I think I will enjoy getting what I can from these shelters.

Main points for me are the ability to have a flamed warmth inside and the easy exit/escape route 360 degrees. That's why I sleep in a thermal suit and quilt.

Yes, they are two ex army ponchos that's been designed to make a shelter, there's no doubting or denying that, and I think that's what I like about these tents.

Chubbs
20-10-2015, 11:26 PM
A lot of people use those tents with burners but I agree with Rik in some part that they are an accident waiting to happen. If I was going to use one I would definately extend it with a skirt like above. Without the skirt they arn't much bigger than a metre high so a small stove is a must, along with a carbon monoxide alarm.

Something no bigger than an ammo can stove would suffice.

Boucaneer
20-10-2015, 11:52 PM
Absolutely, I agree.

A carbon monoxide alarm, there are some good and lightweight ones around, a very important tool to have. If the stove vents were closed to create a slow burn, charcoal could be made and as we know charcoal and barbecues in tents can cause carbon monoxide poisoning and death. So I consider an carbon monoxide alarm essential.

The P'lavvus around 1.4 in metres in height, so an extension skirt if one decides to convert should give a height to stand up in and maybe stretch. The extension skirt would also widen the floor plan if one followed the apex lines and not vertical.

An ammo box stove should be tolerable if one does not ramp up the fuel and heat, and may give a warming atmosphere to relax in the evening with.

shepherd
22-10-2015, 05:32 PM
looks awesome!!!!

Shindig
20-11-2015, 07:49 PM
What size of Ti goat stove are you using ? I'm thinking g of getting one.

andyman
02-01-2016, 03:48 PM
would truly love to see a video review of your set up