PDA

View Full Version : Helle Harding

Notredame11211
04-03-2011, 03:01 AM
Does anyone here own a Helle Harding knife? I have been thinking abut buying one for a while now and wondered if anyone has had personal experience using one, it looks like a great knife.

JEEP
04-03-2011, 06:39 AM
Personally I would stay away for any "composite" handle Helle knives. I have seen two of them break exactly where two materials are joined. Some Helle knives are fitted with way too narrow tangs, for composite handles.

The one-piece handle ones, however, should be fine. I have a Helle Viking that I am looking forward to testing out.

The laminated blades produced by Helle will take and hold a wicked sharp edge - I would just wish they would make them with a more traditional flat/broad Scandinavian tang, instead of a straight and narrow stick tang.

Fletching
04-03-2011, 07:28 AM
I have the Helle Eggen. It's a bit larger than ye average Helle but feels nice and solid in the hand. I haven't used it to baton anything yet, but for general cutting duty, it keeps a good edge.

Notredame11211
04-03-2011, 06:51 PM
Personally I would stay away for any "composite" handle Helle knives. I have seen two of them break exactly where two materials are joined. Some Helle knives are fitted with way too narrow tangs, for composite handles.

The one-piece handle ones, however, should be fine. I have a Helle Viking that I am looking forward to testing out.

The laminated blades produced by Helle will take and hold a wicked sharp edge - I would just wish they would make them with a more traditional flat/broad Scandinavian tang, instead of a straight and narrow stick tang.

Thanks for the info Jakob:D, I rember that Ashley did a video on a Helle that broke; It also had a composite handle.