PDA

View Full Version : Taking Meat Wildcamping

xWillo
17-02-2015, 08:10 AM
Hey Everyone,

As the title suggests, I am considering taking meat on my first outing. I shoot fairly regularly so getting some rabbits shouldn't be a problem.
However I am slightly worried about the meat spoiling, I think I am going to freeze a brace to take with us.
We are setting out on Friday morning (27th) Would the meat be okay on the Saturday after defrosting over Friday daytime (Will be eating one on the Friday, perhaps both depending upon responses).
We don't really want to be taking a cooler/icepacks with us either.

Thanks!

Tigger004
17-02-2015, 08:27 AM
Unless you are having freak weather; meat will normally keep well especially if taken frozen, but unless you really want to prep it in the wild with limited resources.

I prefer to take it pre-prepped and enjoy eating it, if you want the experience to be authentic then go ahead it will be fun.
Warning! Don't take on too many tasks for your first outing, keep it simple while learning the pitfalls, like burnt food and hunger.

xWillo
17-02-2015, 08:36 AM
I will be skinning and gutting at the time of shooting.
Then taking the frozen meat.
But thanks for the advice, I just didn't want it to spoil by the Saturday with It defrosting Friday daytime.
- Also plan on taking some emergency rat packs in case we drop the spit into the fire or something equally ridiculous! :ashamed:

Chubbs
17-02-2015, 11:36 AM
I can't really see a problem taking fresh meat if you are going away for up to even three days in our weather conditions at the moment.

Wrap it very well in clingfilm to start with, making sure that it is done tightly to keep out as much air as possible. Wrap it again in more layers (newspaper is a good one) and hang it overnight out of the way of prying wildlife. Temperatures at the moment are still down to near 0 degrees so you won't really have much of a problem with it.

Using your nose is a good way of finding out if its ok to eat. If it smells ok, it will taste fine. If it still worries you, take some salt with you and rub it in all over before rinsing thoroughly.

OakAshandThorn
17-02-2015, 11:57 AM
Right now we're in a cold streak, it's -12 C/10 F outside right now, last night was close to -18 C/ 0 F. If the temps will be consistently below the freezing mark, I don't see any reason why not :). But you guys are lucky...over here, if I tried doing something like that, I'd have a bunch of coyotes to worry about unless if the meat was tied way up in tree branches in a sealed container.

FishyFolk
17-02-2015, 12:10 PM
I bring fresh meat all the time. Usually just chop it up at home and chuck it in a tupperware box to be used in casseroles etc.
Now in winter it's really no problem.

xWillo
17-02-2015, 01:06 PM
Okay thanks for the advice all, I thought it would be okay, but knew you guys would be able to give me that peace of mind, and any tips and tricks for prolonging its life.
OAT - Its staying around 0-1 at night for us currently, and luckily we don't have any critters to worry about!
Chubbs - Thanks for the wrapping advice we will do that, The Salt is something I hadn't of thought of might be best if it gets warm on the Saturday day...
Fishy - We want to spitroast it so will be hauling full rabbits but a casserole does sound tempting!

rik_uk3
17-02-2015, 03:26 PM
Lots of meat you can take even in warmer weather that won't spoil fast, things like Salami, vacuum packed bacon, some vacuum packed smoked sausage requires no refrigeration et al.

I'm not a fan of rabbit to be honest so if and when I cook it I too stew it and add smoked bacon which gives flavour and ups the fat/energy content of the meal.

Take plenty of food with you on this first trip, pop into your local http://www.bmstores.co.uk/stores/location/London%20Road,%20Derby,%20UK/locationid/44F6B0C0-4908-11E2-9EDAA4BADB4726BE/region/UK and look in the food section; the variety of stock changes a lot but they often have things like dried Vesta Risotto or Curry for a £1 each (so do Tesco). Its your first outing you said so enjoy but don't rely on a bit of Mr Bunny, take extra food until you have more experience...nowt worse than coming home fed up and or peckish.

Have a great trip and report back T^

Ehecatl
17-02-2015, 04:47 PM
One thing I do as a "cheats" way of vacuum packing meat etc is to put into a large freezer bag. I then try and force as much of the air out as I can. From where the contents of the bag stops, up to the opening I then twist the bag all the way to the top. Next I tie a knot as near to the top as possible and then let it all un-twist. Not only wil this help keep the food fresher, it also makes the bag easier to pack as there's no air to puff up.

M@

jus_young
17-02-2015, 08:31 PM
Careful if you do freeze it as you may have a problem getting it to thaw in time!

trovilcl
18-02-2015, 03:47 AM
So in all honesty, meat especially still in its hide can keep pretty decently well for about 2 days in 50-60 degree weather. I wouldnt much push it farther than that. Ive killed deer in late september when it gets around 58-62 at night and let it hang for 2 days. Just keep it out of the sun in a shady area. Shoot the temp over in the Uk is still cold right? You'll be fine dude. Go enjoy your outing.

xWillo
18-02-2015, 07:35 AM
Thanks all! Managed to get a couple of frozen pheasants off a friend from the last shoot a couple weeks back, so will be taking them with us too!
8 Days to go! About the only thing getting me through work this week! :camping:

midas
18-02-2015, 06:24 PM
Stop panicking.especially with game.n even dropping it in the fire aint going to hurt it.
Make sure you frozen birds are defrosted!!
In OZ on a long trip into the bush,we would get the Butcher to vacuam pack it,n kept it in an eski box.
If you keep meat cool,n the flies of it,time improves it! beef is hung 21-28days.

PS.In Hot weather.if your taking water with you,Freeze a 2litre bottle.or so(take a little out for expansion)n youve got a cooler for no extra weight.