PDA

View Full Version : where best to camp around the midlands area??

Sheldon
28-07-2015, 08:50 PM
I was wondering as a beginner from Birmingham, where would the best place to wild camp and try out some bushcraft skills close to where i live?? it seems to me trying to find somewhere local is harder than i thought it would be, especially living in a city.. Please help as its getting me a little frustrated finding a location..
thanks... Dallas..:campfire:

Baldie121
16-11-2015, 09:28 AM
I am a Birmingham Lad......well I'm 42 so knot much of a lad now but I am looking for somewhere too for myself and my nephew to get away at the weekends. Let me know if you have any joy and I will do the same.

-Tim-
17-11-2015, 04:19 PM
With a substantial canal network in the midlands you could try one of those? Scout using google earth and pick a nice quiet wooded area away from the "maddening crowds"

Gotta be worth a try?

Cheers
Tim

Big Highlander
22-11-2015, 09:10 AM
have u looked at kingsford and kinver forest park on the kingsford Rd at kinver, some of the canals out that way have excellent bits of land beside the canal, I do a bit of walking around that area

Baldie121
22-11-2015, 06:41 PM
Thank you, I will have a gander.

TinkyPete
05-04-2016, 03:14 PM
I did try and get a midlands meet together at the Kniver scout camp but after a lot of problems with permissions and the fact I was working away in Wiltshire at the time it fell through. I may try looking again at somewhere to get a meet together again with permissons but it will take some time to find somewhere suitable. In the mean time there is a meet held near the Belfy golf course at North Wood with is held ever other month. the next meet is coming up at 29th April-1 May it is run by Woodspirits who is a member on here as well. But I am happy to answer any questions as I am an old hand at the meets and one of the original people who started going there we have now been using it for about 5 years and although HS2 is going through the middle of the wood we have not yet been given a date when the work will start. It is a lovely ancient wood which we have sole use of and has a large variety of woods and plenty of interesting plants as well.

Ehecatl
05-04-2016, 04:55 PM
I've found a site just south of Ashby De La Zouch. The meets are arranged via Facebook and the owners are nice people. PM me for details.

M@

CheddarMan
05-04-2016, 09:44 PM

OK, you are going to think I am a bit touched in the head, but last year I slept out 12 times (once a month) in peculiar places. October was on the (very) round roundabout you can see in the middle of this picture. It is the A38/M5 junction at Burnham on Sea. Obviously no open fire, but supper, overnight and breakfast were all enjoyed in the trees on the roundabout! This year I expect one will be in the slightly off round area within the circle of the motorway junction.

My point being, it is possible to find a bit of something wild in the strangest places.... I have just had a quick Google map search of Birmingham, there is loads of greenery. Seek and you shall find ;)

Big Highlander
06-04-2016, 05:08 AM
I fancy the Neville hall estate woods at the junction of the A458 and Chester Rd, I've been walking the dog there scoping the place and it's looking really good for a camp13584

Big Highlander
06-04-2016, 05:11 AM
If anyone fancies a walk there some time to have a butchers, give me a shout, weekend only though