PDA

View Full Version : New shiny Fire Piston

MikeWilkinson
10-03-2011, 08:06 PM
I've just got a new fire piston from one of our latest members - Bushcrafttools.

Must say I'm very impressed.

Took it out with me this evening, after a little playing around and getting used to the best way to compress it, I'm managing to get an ember nearly everytime.

Compact, not to heavy and very easy to use, I think this is going to accompany everywhere along with all my other fire lighting methods, blades, torches etc...

So that is another method of firelighting to use along with fire by friction, fire by spark, fire from chemicals, fire by lens and now fire by compression. Brilliant, thanks BCT!!:campfire:

CanadianMike
11-03-2011, 12:58 PM
Have you tried belly button lint in it yet? :D

BUSHCRAFTTOOLS
11-03-2011, 02:19 PM
Thanks mike....Im glad it arrived and that you are on your way to mastering the rapid compression technique. The charcloth I chucked in isnt your everyday charcloth....its made using paper, water and a food blender. Its more like char-board than char cloth. I like to think of it as the Charloth Equivalent of the Charcoal-Briquette. If you read, or know anyone that has last augusts Bushcraft & Survival skills magazine then read my step-by-step article on how to make it.

If you come across any new tinders then I would be interested to know what they are as Im trying to get a long list together. Cramp balls are one of the best tinders......make sure they are dry when you pick them for an almost guaranteed ember. Ive recently managed to get an ember using the pith of a corn stump found in a field, fluffed up redwood bark, jeans/socks scrapings and dry moss. Its a matter of testing different fibrous materials untill you get an ember. Some embers are short-lived lasting only a fraction of a second....others can be transferred to a tinder bundle and blown into a flame.

.....I might start a thread on how to make char-board.....for those that are interested

Freddy
11-03-2011, 02:53 PM
.....I might start a thread on how to make char-board.....for those that are interested

Yes please.

feebullet
11-03-2011, 11:02 PM
ditto on the interest on the charboard

fish
12-03-2011, 04:55 PM
i baught one of these at the wilderness gathering,best fp on the market!

infact i have just lit the fire in the front room with it!

Ben Casey
12-03-2011, 05:02 PM
ditto on the interest on the charboard

Ditto here to :)