PDA

View Full Version : Day Kit

comanighttrain
10-03-2011, 10:09 PM
You going out for the day on a hike and scout for possible future craft and camp sites, What do you pop in the bag?

I got Bivvy Shelter, Shovel, Sleeping bag and bivi bag. 24h food and sundries, Hexicooker and tabs, first aid, fire lighters, bog roll, head torch, map compass and my leatherman wave. Also a ball of pemmican and stock.

Sleeping bag may be excessive, Seen a fair number of people carried off the hills after hypothermia sets in though...

Martin
11-03-2011, 01:52 PM
Obviously, depends on the terrain and exposure but you have most of the bases covered.

Full waterproofs and a dry change of clothes would be in my bag as would an insulated coat, in my case a Snugpak Softie, but a down coat would be better. I don't bother taking a sleeping bag with me on a day trip but that's only because I have a Blizzard bag which I guess is that same thing only much lighter and smaller.

Martin

comanighttrain
11-03-2011, 01:59 PM
one of these martin? http://www.blizzardsurvival.com/product.php/100/blizzard-survival-bag

I was looking at the down jackets at alpkit... I was just worried about how theyd hold up in proper heavy driving rain...

Martin
11-03-2011, 02:22 PM
one of these martin? http://www.blizzardsurvival.com/product.php/100/blizzard-survival-bag

I was looking at the down jackets at alpkit... I was just worried about how theyd hold up in proper heavy driving rain...

Yeah, that's the one.

The down jacket is great for popping on when you stop and would go under your waterproof coat when it rains. Would be too hot to walk in except on the coldest of days, say at temps below -5. Another warm coat option would be a 'Pertex and Pile' type coat such as the Buffalo or Montane offerings but these are really designed to be worn close to the skin, so I would probably stick with the Softie.

The down coats are also known as belay jackets which gives away their original use which was for climbers to pop on when they were at the foot or top of a pitch on the belay waiting for their partner to climb. Thus, they needed to be very warm during periods of inactivity but also needed to pack down very small and be lightweight for when it was in your bag whilst you were climbing.

Martin

PS Don't forget a roll mat. If the smelly hits the fan, insulating the casualty from the cold damp floor will be more important than carrying a sleeping bag. You could keep them warm with plenty of clothes but the floor will sap heat an an alarming rate.

swkieran
11-03-2011, 02:37 PM
martin knows his stuff :)

swkieran
11-03-2011, 02:44 PM
martin did you use to work for spirit of adventure on dartmoor,you remind me of the instructor he used to have all the kit and knowledge,im going back a few years about 98/99, stayed on princetown doing a princes trust thing,bit of canoeing,orientering etc good times man :)

comanighttrain
11-03-2011, 03:36 PM
A roll mat eh? I would never have thought to take one unless I was intending to sleep. I'll see if i can attach it to my day kit...

Martin
11-03-2011, 09:05 PM
martin did you use to work for spirit of adventure on dartmoor,you remind me of the instructor he used to have all the kit and knowledge,im going back a few years about 98/99, stayed on princetown doing a princes trust thing,bit of canoeing,orientering etc good times man :)

Not me Kieran, but I have spent plenty of time cold, wet and miserable so I'm an expert at that. ;)

Martin

comanighttrain
11-03-2011, 09:18 PM
Not me Kieran, but I have spent plenty of time cold, wet and miserable so I'm an expert at that. ;)

Martin

Now you sound like every highlander who has ever lived....

swkieran
11-03-2011, 09:41 PM
kk martin its just that you do remind me of him lol,that was a brilliant week tough as it was :),i remember doing orienteering across the moor in the pitch black december time,because we were towny kids we werent dressed for it lol,so tracksuit bottoms and trainors got wet and with that the freezing cold. but we didnt care we had our ciggies and girlfriends :).god i sound old,but its a shame alot of that is banned under health and safety now, feel sorry for younsters leaving school nowadays dont do things like the above happy times :)

Martin
11-03-2011, 09:51 PM
Funny you should say that Kieran, but I took a group of cadets out last Friday night on Dartmoor doing night navigation. It was so clear, you could see a million stars but so cold it made your cheeks go numb. The one who never bothered to bring his gloves out with him learned a good lesson.

Martin

swkieran
11-03-2011, 10:07 PM
something hell remember for the rest of his days :), i always cover the tops of my ears now :),i had severe wind burn and when i got back home to torbay even thou youre talking about a few miles away ,it felt like i had landed in the tropics lol,you could actually feel the temperant climate of the sea :),strange place dartmoor commands my respect

Ben Casey
11-03-2011, 10:10 PM
Funny you should say that Kieran, but I took a group of cadets out last Friday night on Dartmoor doing night navigation. It was so clear, you could see a million stars but so cold it made your cheeks go numb. The one who never bothered to bring his gloves out with him learned a good lesson.

Martin

I remember doing a 25 mile tab once and this guy had lightwieght jungle boots on in the middle of winter :( That night he was screaming with pain as having steel in the soles in the middle of winter in minus temps just did not do the job he thought they would :)

swkieran
11-03-2011, 10:36 PM
its always facinated me how the german army hung on so long in lenningrad and other places like russia

swkieran
11-03-2011, 10:45 PM
in russia

MikeWilkinson
12-03-2011, 11:00 PM
Surprisingly, I just carry my normal kit, so Tarp, hammock, sleeping bag,Bivvy bag, S.I. Mattress, stove/billy, 24 hrs food, Water, first aid kit, Folding Saw, Hatchett, Cordage, Various blades (spoon knife, carving knife, utility knife) Belay Jacket/Buffalo. All of that packs into a 35 litre NI patrol style pack. Then on my person I'll have waterproof jacket, fire kit, pen knife, more cordage, navigation kit, journal, hat/gloves/Buff. Usually have Bino's and a Camera packed somewhere.

What more do you need? Great for just stopping and setting up camp, good for emergencies, good for clearing up a possible camp area, all the tools I need for crafting.

bigzee
13-03-2011, 08:43 AM
Day kit:
4x cans special brew
1x copy "razzle"
Transistor radio
......but seriously...
A sit mat (rucksack sized bit of kip mat or cardboard)
1L water
Small homemade recycled meths brew kit
Instant hot choc mix
Nosh (noodles/pasta/sarnies) in chinese food container with lid
Showerproof/windproof jacket - M65 hard to beat!
Hat
Clean cotton hankerchief (potgrab/hand flannel)
Map
Pencil (for notation on map)
Compass (if on mountain or moorland)
Couple of binbags or carrier bags for unexpected booty or emergency waterproofing
Victorinox SA knife (black, not sure of model - but has bloody good saw blade!)
All in small rucksack or large bumbag if jacket pockets filled.