PDA

View Full Version : Looking for help from a knife maker

Romanista77
11-11-2015, 03:41 AM
Hello,

I'm a minimalist and was looking for a knife that would be my EDC, but also a good bushcraft knife. Essentialy one knife to fill all my needs.

I love my mora, but it just isn't a practical EDC.
So I thought I'd cut down a mora classic 3 blade to work like a Svord Peasant Mini. I think it's a good solution for me.
The problem I'm having, is I don't have the right tools. I don't have a grinder or drill press. My dremil isn't cutting it and the steel is way to hard. I've broken two drill bits designed for hardend steel.

So I'm looking for a knife maker with the tools and willingness to help me finish this project.
Happy to pay for shipping and time.

Picture attached showing my progress.

Cheers,

-Jon

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/10/a89ed390cd8e16f4599bdf91012972ad.jpg

Pootle
11-11-2015, 10:17 AM
Just out of curiosity, why not use the svord you have, or have you borrowed it to copy?

Romanista77
11-11-2015, 11:38 AM
Just out of curiosity, why not use the svord you have, or have you borrowed it to copy?
Because I really like the blade/grind on the mora.
I want to get the best of both worlds.

I might try reprofilling the blade on the Svord to be single bevel if I can't make this work.

Pootle
11-11-2015, 01:52 PM
Because I really like the blade/grind on the mora.

fair enough.
maybe the mora blade needs annealing to make it workable? Then re hardening?
just guessing as i'm not a knife maker!

Romanista77
11-11-2015, 01:55 PM
fair enough.
maybe the mora blade needs annealing to make it workable? Then re hardening?
just guessing as i'm not a knife maker!
I'm not a knife maker either. But I think it would be much easier with the right tools. Like a grinder.

You might be right for drilling the wholes though. I broke two cobalt drill bits trying.

saxonaxe
11-11-2015, 10:48 PM
Just a suggestion, but is there a small engineering firm in your area? They don't need to be knifemakers, you could mark up a Mora blade as you have already shown and just ask them to cut and drill it perhaps?
If you get really desperate there is such a company local to me, a real old time 'back street' Engineering shop who I've no doubt could do that very easily.

bikebum1975
11-11-2015, 10:57 PM
I'm not a knife maker either but know that you'd need to anneal the blade first to cut it then retemper it. Interesting idea

Romanista77
12-11-2015, 12:29 PM
Just a suggestion, but is there a small engineering firm in your area? They don't need to be knifemakers, you could mark up a Mora blade as you have already shown and just ask them to cut and drill it perhaps?
If you get really desperate there is such a company local to me, a real old time 'back street' Engineering shop who I've no doubt could do that very easily.
Good info.
I'll have a look around.
I live in Ottawa, Canada. I don't know any off the top of my head, but it's good to look into other options.

Good outside the box thinking!

saxonaxe
12-11-2015, 01:32 PM
Ottawa!!....:D I was going to say if you were stuck and lived close, next time I'm out on the MotoGuzzi I'd pick it up and take it to the local metal wizard..but we'll stand down on that idea...:D :D

Romanista77
12-11-2015, 01:36 PM
Just a short trip!