PDA

View Full Version : good evening all

hl9213o
11-11-2015, 06:12 PM
Hi everyone

New to bushcraft, not new to the countryside, and have spent my entire working life working with sharp items be it a cleaver, knife, bone saw, or machete (we just called that a knife..)

Not really in a position to get out much due to life commitments, but building up my kit, and watching this and reading that, in preparation for when i do have the luxury of a day off. For now it will mostly be walk in london woodland looking for sticks for whittling, and probably tying up tarps and hammocks for no other reason than practising procedures and knots.

I am coming from a forum where i mentioned i had bought bought an emergency fishing kit and all that resulted in was lectures about overfishing, basically s tuck up place where everyone is arrogant and make assumptions even if they know nothing of my intent. I simply read the thread about handlining for mackerel and figured this was a far nicer community open to discussion without prejudice :) So i look forward to getting to know you guys, as well as pillaging you for knowledge :) I'm London based, so please do let me know if there are any outings or meets happening in that kind of area :)

VB
HL

saxonaxe
11-11-2015, 10:34 PM
Hello and welcome to the forum. :)

Ehecatl
12-11-2015, 05:36 AM
Hello and welcome,

M@

Pootle
12-11-2015, 06:55 AM
Hello and welcome.

Tigger004
12-11-2015, 05:27 PM
Good evening and welcome, Jeff

Thumbcrusher
12-11-2015, 06:35 PM
:welcome:

jus_young
12-11-2015, 08:11 PM
Welcome to the community

ian c
12-11-2015, 09:02 PM
Hi and Welcome, I like hand line fishing and nearly always have a hand line in my kit somewhere.

OakAshandThorn
13-11-2015, 09:17 PM
:welcome: Dia duit agus fáilte from Connecticut, USA :campfire:

David_JAFO
15-11-2015, 03:02 PM
hello,
:welcome: to the NBCUK forum be careful it can be addictive :p. London plenty of scope for urban Bushcraft. There's great opportunity in finding good black flint down that way too practice your fire lighting skills. Last time I was in South Croydon the gardens were full of it & most walls were constructed from such. There was a programme on BBC sometime ago the Urban Angler (forgot his name?) who was set the task of catching fish from the canals & waterways in & around the heart of London. Get the A-Z out or have a chat with the London Cabbies *knowledge :wink: Good luck with your findings.. BTW I've tried this in both Edinburgh & Glasgow with results.
Regards
David

hl9213o
15-11-2015, 03:24 PM
Thanks all. Still have other priorities right now, but today I made the effort of putting some time aside to at least be midly creative :)

First ever time putting a knife to some wood. Wasn't even a good piece of wood (pulpy in the centre so it gets a bit bendyand weak when thin) and just took a Jeremy Clarkson approach. Power!

Not the worst result for a first time :) and hey, I guess the most important thing is I'm not bleeding :D

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a504/hughlle/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-11/IMAG0179_zpsvtsmmtva.jpg