PDA

View Full Version : Neoprene

Humakt
22-11-2015, 05:02 AM
Chaps.
I'm looking for something to use as a protective cover on a spotting scope.
Yeah, I know you can buy cases for them but the prices are a bit high.
And I've also seen cheaper rain covers but they obscure access to the focus control.
So I was thinking of something as simple as a neoprene tube that can slide over the scope.
Thing is, getting hold of some. Two thoughts occurred to me - either a rifle telescope cover (I've seen the Jack Pyke ones) or maybe something like an insulating sleeve for a coffee mug (but they tend to have twatty logos on them).
But I'm not sure the rifle scope covers will stretch over my spotting scope (it has a 60mm lens, plus a bit more for the casing). And can you cut neoprene without it fraying?
Has anyone got any other ideas on where I can get a bit of neoprene from, or something they've seen that could be used?
I'd prefer it in olive green or black rather than camo.
Cheers for you help.

happybonzo
22-11-2015, 07:40 AM
I know you can buy cases for them but the prices are a bit high. - understatement of the year :)

Yes, you can cut Neoprene, use good sharp scissors
You can glue it edge to edge with Evo Stik 528; at least. that's what I've used for wetsuit repairs in the past. It does say the 528 is for Inside the house use only but its never let me down.
You can get unlined, single lined and double lined Neoprene. You'll probably find that single-lined is the best to use and keep the lined side on the inside of the Scope cover

If you've got a Sailing or Windsurf school near you, ask if they've got an old wetsuit you can have. There should be more than enough material there for you
When my Daughter was small. I used to chop up old wetsuits and make hers this way :)

Pootle
22-11-2015, 12:07 PM
Do you Live in a coastal area? If so charity shops may have wetsuits cheap.

Thumbcrusher
22-11-2015, 07:58 PM
Try LOMO shop. Really good shop and good customer service, (no association with the shop just a satisfied return customer) http://www.ewetsuits.com/acatalog/7mm-neoprene.html

troyka
23-11-2015, 03:47 PM
If its a small ish amount you need pound shops have 14" laptop covers.