PDA

View Full Version : I need new boots...any recommendations?

comanighttrain
13-03-2011, 04:10 PM
Going by the seafood/faecal matter smell of my cheapy timberlands and the way my girlfriend downplayed any hope of a revival.... I'd say its time for a new pair of boots

Being in Scotland very waterproof and durable is essential, lightweight would be nice... Any suggestions? I was thinking of these.

http://www.tauntonleisure.com/meindl-vakuum-gtx/p3168#tdesc_1

Martin
13-03-2011, 04:39 PM
Meindl are great boots, I've got the 'Borneo' model which is very traditional but very comfortable, sadly they are a bit heavy so I've just bought a pair of Salomon Quest 4D GTX (http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/reviews/footwear/walking-boots-fabric/salomon-quest-4d-gtx/36594.html). I've only worn them a couple of times but they are very light. It remains to be seen how comfortable they will be after 20+ miles.

Not sure if you have a Taunton Leisure store up your way but I would strongly recommend buying premium priced boots from a high street shop. They will measure your feet properly and you will be able to give them a good try around the store. You may save £20 by buying them online but if they don't fit it will all be wasted money.

Martin

Kiltie
13-03-2011, 05:50 PM
Or these and trear yourself with the money saved (a brolly perhaps :p)

http://www.polimil.co.uk/acatalog/Goliath_All_Leather_GORE-TEX_Tactical_Boots__53.00.html#aGTE01LGTX

comanighttrain
13-03-2011, 06:30 PM
ahhh im an 8 and half...would have no chance of picking the right size there....mioght have to head into town and try some on....blegh...

RobbC
13-03-2011, 07:23 PM
I would reccomend a pair of magnums. i have had a pair of the stealths for about a year nd they are great. they have been used almost continuously nd they look brand new(after a wipe and polish). They provide great ankle support, are very waterproof, if you use them with gaitors like i do you can go up to your knee in water or mud. They're also realatively cheap, i got mine for about 60 squid. I highly reccomend them.

Robb

JEEP
13-03-2011, 07:56 PM
Another vote for Meindl Borne - or Haglöfs Solid Lite if you prefer a GoreTex boot.

bigzee
13-03-2011, 08:05 PM
I've had a pair of Karrimor blencathras for about two years (50 quid) and although I was never totally sold on the appearance, I can't fault them for comfort, regardless of sock combination or thickness. "Event" waterproofing, comfy airy lining,vibram soles, lightweight but durable. I was reluctant to buy anything with stitching round the front (yes - I am a fussy bugger), but they are showing no signs of wear yet, even after a few a couple of years use and "stiff brushings".

comanighttrain
13-03-2011, 08:16 PM
what does it boil down to with goretex vs leather? I have always gone for leather simply because its centuries proven....

bigzee, I am cautious of karrimor gear...the waterproof gloves I wore this weekend were not.

Martin
13-03-2011, 08:52 PM
The trouble is, you can get leather boots with a Goretex lining; I wouldn't but you can get it. It's a bit like the wool argument I guess, there are better materials out there but there will always be a market for traditional materials.

The Meindl Borneos are a very traditional leather walking boot. Pretty much bomb proof, very comfy but cost an arm and a leg and weigh a lot compared to a synthetic boot.

I'm still not sure which is best.

Martin

GlenM
14-03-2011, 06:10 AM
what does it boil down to with goretex vs leather? I have always gone for leather simply because its centuries proven....

bigzee, I am cautious of karrimor gear...the waterproof gloves I wore this weekend were not.

Not necessarily, you could take a look at some Lundhag Pro's, they use certech which is rubber with a leather upper part. I have worn a lot of boots over the years and they are the best boots Iv'e used by far. Now here's they downside........man are they exspensive! but you know what they say "Buy cheap buy twice"

Glen

comanighttrain
18-03-2011, 08:04 AM
The trouble is, you can get leather boots with a Goretex lining; I wouldn't but you can get it. It's a bit like the wool argument I guess, there are better materials out there but there will always be a market for traditional materials.

The Meindl Borneos are a very traditional leather walking boot. Pretty much bomb proof, very comfy but cost an arm and a leg and weigh a lot compared to a synthetic boot.

I'm still not sure which is best.

Martin

I tried on some borneos last night, and I was about to buy them until I forgot my pin number...doh!

Definetely what I need though, felt like they could take a pounding and wading through long wet grass

shovel reccy
18-03-2011, 05:38 PM
i have the meindls as well and they are great boots. but i have just got a pair of german paras and i love em best £30 i ever spent.

JonnyP
18-03-2011, 07:32 PM
I would advise going into your nearest independent hiking store and getting your feet measured properly, and getting some boots to match your feet from someone who knows what they are talking about...
Its all well and good getting everyones recommendations, but everybodys feet are different. You need to be matched up to the boots that fit your feet the best.
I have tried the Scarpa and Meindl boots that are highly rated, but they do not fit my feet very well as I have a narrow foot. I have found, (and have been shown) that some of the Italian boot makers like LaSportiva and Zambalan fit me best. I have spent a lot of money on footwear in the past, including some expensive Timberland hiking "type" boots which turned out to be cool looking but rubbish for walking in.
It does depend on what you want the boots for though.. If its cold weather stuff, you will want to go a size larger to allow for extra socks and room for your feet to get a warm layer. If its mountain walking, you will need tough leather, etc etc..

Tony1948
18-03-2011, 09:38 PM
Leave it out you lot,this is a bushcraft forum not a bloody hikeing forum who needs £180 boots to sit around a camp fire caving and talking about wild life and this and that,we must have guys on here that dont have jobs,how do you think they feel about you lot talking £100 to put on you'r feet.I think we are getting away from the cheep and make do of bushcraft.my bc is allways dune in wood ,shelter fire food and for that all i need is ex army&navy store not some were you get fitted for you'r suff.When i started creeping about with long dog and catty i didant need £180 boots and i dont now,end of rant...........atb.......dont get eaton by the bears............TONY

JEEP
18-03-2011, 09:46 PM
Um?!

mark
18-03-2011, 10:14 PM
thats me right now, just been in to field and trek, they have a sale on at the mo, just picked up a pair of karrimor boots for £ 40 !!!

Tony1948
18-03-2011, 10:27 PM
Hi mark ,whens the next get together/.s;d the boots

comanighttrain
19-03-2011, 09:17 AM
Leave it out you lot,this is a bushcraft forum not a bloody hikeing forum who needs £180 boots to sit around a camp fire caving and talking about wild life and this and that,we must have guys on here that dont have jobs,how do you think they feel about you lot talking £100 to put on you'r feet.I think we are getting away from the cheep and make do of bushcraft.my bc is allways dune in wood ,shelter fire food and for that all i need is ex army&navy store not some were you get fitted for you'r suff.When i started creeping about with long dog and catty i didant need £180 boots and i dont now,end of rant...........atb.......dont get eaton by the bears............TONY

hey tony, want to come out with me sometime? :D

JonnyP
19-03-2011, 12:02 PM
He asked for advice on boots, and the ones in his link (which you obviously didn't look at) were good quality Meindl hiking boots.
Just cos your bushcrafting is done sat around a camp fire talking wildlife, it doesn't mean everyones bushcraft is the same. Many bushcrafters like to hike, and what is better to spend your money on than a good quality pair of boots that will last many years. Many bushcrafters will happily spend a similar amount on a knife, and all they do is play with it.
When somebodys example is a £160 pair of boots, he is going to get advise on similar priced boots, because people will assume, thats his pricerange..

comanighttrain
19-03-2011, 12:09 PM
hey hey whoah...will a pair of surplus boots cut it?

I'm a hiker simply because thats the terrain we have here.... If your not on the hill then your in the valley and thats a harder and wetter walk....

Fletching
19-03-2011, 12:46 PM
Brasher's Superlite are my preference but you'll only ever find a good pair of boots for yourself by trying loads on and walking round a bit (and then a bit more).

robin
19-03-2011, 01:10 PM
There have been some great boots mentioned above but I just cannot afford some of those prices so I just bought myself some Jack Pyke Countryman Boots. I know a lot of people flame Jack Pyke stuff but I love these boots they are flexible, waterproof, supportive, comfortable and didn't break the bank.

JonnyP
19-03-2011, 02:17 PM
hey hey whoah...will a pair of surplus boots cut it?

I'm a hiker simply because thats the terrain we have here.... If your not on the hill then your in the valley and thats a harder and wetter walk....

Surplus boots will do you fine (so long they fit your feet well). I use German army para boots in the winter at work and for knocking about in. They are a bit wide for my feet, but with liner and Arctic socks, they fit well and keep my feet warm and dry, but I have not tried them in the wet and boggy Glens. If you look after them, they should look after you. Boot dubbin is good for non goretex lined boots.
If you do buy goretex lined boots, only expect 2 to 3 years life out of the goretex, as it breaks down with use.

Martin
20-03-2011, 07:47 PM

Interesting but somewhat wide of the mark. On the last meet you went on, I'm pretty sure you all arrived by car? Each of those cars cost a damned sight more than £180. Some of the 'bushcraft' we indulge in takes place many miles from the car park and we like to be comfortable and safe on the way in and the way out. Even the British Army allow their soldiers to invest in decent boots so why should it bother you?

I'm afraid Tony that, just because your idea of bushcraft is sitting around a fire carving spoons and chatting, some of us have a more adventurous notion of what we want out of our leisure time. And, whilst I'm on the subject, some of us have considerably more disposable income than others and we like to give and receive advice on how best to spend our hard earned cash. Should we feel guilty about this??

Not quite sure what your rant is all about to be honest but seems a bit of a misjudgement to me.

Martin

Bambii
20-03-2011, 09:14 PM
I see where Tony is coming from.

He's trying to say you don't need Gucci kit for everything. You don't need all this expensive gear.

Like someone said in another thread, Everyone has a different idea and meaning of bushcraft.

comanighttrain
20-03-2011, 10:01 PM
im not loaded i just want dry feet :'(

JonnyP
21-03-2011, 07:48 PM

Then why does your link show a pair of £160 boots..?
Just buy some cheap welly boots if you want dry feet and don't have much money to spend..

JonnyP
21-03-2011, 08:06 PM
I see where Tony is coming from.

He's trying to say you don't need Gucci kit for everything. You don't need all this expensive gear.

Like someone said in another thread, Everyone has a different idea and meaning of bushcraft.

And I fully agree with that.. Most of my gear is surplus, but when someone asks for advice and shows a link to something they had in mind, which is a pair of £160 pair of boots, they are going to get advice on the information given..

comanighttrain
21-03-2011, 09:34 PM
probably best just to kill this thread martin...

klause
30-03-2011, 01:40 AM
I've just bought a pair of Salomon Quest 4D GTX (http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/reviews/footwear/walking-boots-fabric/salomon-quest-4d-gtx/36594.html).
Martin

How are your boots holding up Martin? - Ive heard good and bad about them to be honest good for walking but ive read reports of leekage !

Trevor Wells - Reviewed: 03 February 2011 http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/reviews/footwear/walking-boots-fabric/salomon-quest-4d-gtx/reader-reviews/36594.html?page=1

It is always wet near us so i was wandering, before i go out and spend £100+ if you agree with this review...to be fair it is the only negative view on that site..

Thank you Martin....Iain.

Martin
30-03-2011, 10:31 AM
To be honest Iain, I've only walked about 50 miles in these boots but I must say that early indications are that they are great. That said, when I walk on the moors, I wear a pair of Berghaus Yeti gaiters which allow me to wade through rivers almost up to my knees and won't let any water in. I have found them to be supremely comfortable to walk in, so light that you feel like you are skipping up the hills and no blisters to report. However, I have managed to bruise the big toe on my right foot where it was bumping against the end of the boot on descents. I think this is where I didn't have the boot laced tightly enough under my gaiter and was too lazy to stop and sort it out. Not only that but I still have black toe nail on my little toe on the same foot which I got when wearing my Meindl Borneos so I think it's too early to blame the boot for my bruised toe.

Now, I know that for a lot of people £100+ is a great deal of money to pay for a pair of boots and I wouldn't recommend anyone buys a pair of boots without trying them on first unless they know precisely what size they need. Of course, you will only know what size you require by trying the boot on. Maybe, if I was buying a second pair of these, I would look for the replacements on line in the same size.

The other thing to bear in mind is that, unless you are planning on walking long distances, expensive boots are just not necessary. If you only intend walking a couple of miles max to your intended location, then I would suggest a good old pair of wellies for autumn, winter and spring use. These are waterproof and allow you to wear several pairs of warm socks to keep your inactive feet warm. In summer, why not wear a pair of leather 'army' type boots or even a pair of Karrimore type trainers or cheap walking boots? Both can be had for about £20 for the pair. I wore my German Para boots when we went out this Sunday which were perfect for what we were doing (which wasn't a lot).

Anyway, to cut this overly long story short, I really like the Salomons. I haven't had them long enough to give them a really good appraisal but I will be wearing them to climb Slieve Donard, Ben Nevis, Scafell Pike and Mount Snowdon at the end of May, so I can give you a proper report then.

Hope this helps

Martin

klause
30-03-2011, 10:57 PM
Thanks Martin,
I walk everywhere realy as i dont drive, sometimes far sometimes not. I have a pair of Karrimor Orkney II which to be honest are surprisingly good for the money (£50) they are excellent for the woods as they dont leek and have reasonable support, the thing is i want to start going a bit further afield this year and the Karrimors start to rub me at the end of a long walk (the padding on the ankle bone).
My friend has asked me to do Snowden and a couple of other treks this year for charity so i wanted to invest in some better boots for both walking and camping, they must fit both puposes as i intend to do some trecking/camping this year with my son.

I must say that the Salamons' look the part and are currently top of my wanted list - but i'll add your advice to that i have previously recieved and go to a decent store and try some different pairs on, see which fit best.

So, thanks again for the heads up Martin and i'll let you know how i get on ! lol.........Iain.

GwersyllaCnau
31-03-2011, 08:13 AM
I bought a pair of Karrimor KSB's back in 1994, apart from the sole of one boot starting to come off there is nothing wrong with then still (bit of glue and they're great work boots), but I bought a new pair of Karrimor Glencoe's recently. The 1st time I wore them I did the Pen y fan horseshoe with no probs. I'm hoping they last as long as my last pair of KSB's. Oh and this pair are much lighter than my last pair. and field and trek are having a massive sale at the moment.

http://www.fieldandtrek.com/karrimor-glencoe-boots-mens-183107

comanighttrain
03-04-2011, 08:13 PM
Well I went with the mendl Burmas....very very good!

basicbushcraft
07-04-2011, 11:36 PM
i ve gotta few pairs of lowa and wouldnt change them at all great boots cost about 140 gbp

Sleepy
09-04-2011, 11:17 AM
I've got karrimors, bought 'em before christmas and I'm very happy with them - relatively cheap too as you can find them for around £50 if you look hard enough.

I then made the mistake of getting karrimor trainers for when boots aren't really needed, However for what we do boots are always the first choice (for me anyway) so the trainers just get used for pretty much anything else. They're good for walking the dog though :ashamed:

Don't forget a big tub of dales dubbin too, great stuff.

Adam Savage
09-04-2011, 09:04 PM
I've got karrimors, bought 'em before christmas and I'm very happy with them - relatively cheap too as you can find them for around £50 if you look hard enough.

I then made the mistake of getting karrimor trainers for when boots aren't really needed, However for what we do boots are always the first choice (for me anyway) so the trainers just get used for pretty much anything else. They're good for walking the dog though :ashamed:

Don't forget a big tub of dales dubbin too, great stuff.

I wear Karrimor KSB aspen 2s. They have stood up to Dartmoors marsh and rocks, Northamptonshire woodlands and Oxfordshires boggy flood plains. Light as a feather and super comfy. Managed to pick them up for £33 at TK Maxx. Great value boot. the only thing I would have liked, was a slightly higher cut to give a little more support to the ankle, but don't regret the purchase one little bit. Don't think I would have regretted it, if I had paid £60+ either.

comanighttrain
23-05-2011, 01:01 PM
Would like to reiterate my recommendation for meindl boots now that they have actually went through the worst that Scotland can offer...and my feet were dry all day long

jikido
15-08-2011, 11:33 PM

Go to TKmax. I picked up my fur lined winter walking boots by karrimor for £40. My father bought them me as I was hiking 20 odd miles in the snow in shaolin kungfu trainers. I never have two pennies to rub together but put your heart into something and something nice turns up

So that's my winter boot. My summer boot which I will probably wear all year round now, because of my love affair with them were bought for me by an old army buddy, when he heard about my 28 mile walk from malmesbury to bristol in a pair of charity shop trainer. They are the gortex lined scarpa. £129. Brilliant boot very strong and also flexible for kneeling around the fire. Hardcore mountain and winter crampon boots don't bend well. I am very happy with them.

I am no kit yuppy. I can make do with anything but seriously believe when ypu do something passionately magical things happen.

Adam Savage
16-08-2011, 07:59 AM
I am no kit yuppy. I can make do with anything but seriously believe when ypu do something passionately magical things happen.

Some great words there friend. :)

Realearner
28-08-2011, 09:22 PM
Just picked up this thread, great conversations. Some heated points, at the end of the day it's what budget you have and that dictates your range of spending.
I could buy some expensive boots, but I need to try them on and have comfort, also I need them long enough to go over my arthritic ankle to ease the sometime hard pain I get. So if the boots that suit cost £20 or£200 that's what I will go for.
Me I like a walk I also like to sit round a fire, also enjoy making stuff. And if I can make rather than spend I do that, just can't make boots yet, Mmmmm that's a thought maybe it could be my next project ha ha!!!!

Adam Savage
28-08-2011, 09:28 PM
Just picked up this thread, great conversations. Some heated points, at the end of the day it's what budget you have and that dictates your range of spending.
I could buy some expensive boots, but I need to try them on and have comfort, also I need them long enough to go over my arthritic ankle to ease the sometime hard pain I get. So if the boots that suit cost £20 or£200 that's what I will go for.
Me I like a walk I also like to sit round a fire, also enjoy making stuff. And if I can make rather than spend I do that, just can't make boots yet, Mmmmm that's a thought maybe it could be my next project ha ha!!!!

You may joke, but it would be a triumph if they turned out just right. My mates told me it was a load of cobblers, but what do they know :)

jikido
29-08-2011, 09:20 PM

May be worth googling mukluks.

Reaps72
30-08-2011, 08:27 AM
I wear Scarpa Hill Master GTX amazingly comfy boot with Sorbothane inserts as an addition! Or for daily dog walking fayre I wear Karrimor Boots cos they're cheap at Field & Trek & I can batter them to death!

Blu
07-09-2011, 10:45 AM
For me it's German Para Boots (the earlier type), getting a little difficult to find in some places but well worth the hunt. excellent quality leather and very hard wearing soles.

troopermaz
08-09-2011, 06:00 PM
I just stick with the good old issue DMS boots they cost about 60/70 quid brand new and last forever if looked after and are pretty watertight the pair i have now have been worn nearly everyday for about 4 years

josephabbott
02-10-2017, 06:24 PM
Very informative thread.

jus_young
02-10-2017, 10:57 PM
Changed mine now. Have been a Merrell fan for some time but the waterproofing just seems to let go prematurely. Now trying Salomon and seem good so far but the real test starts soon with Explorer navigation training on Dartmoor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk