PDA

View Full Version : Baobab Fruit Drink

David_JAFO
16-02-2016, 03:34 PM
hello,
Bushcraft the baobab fruit. The baobab fruit is a strange beast, encased in large furry pods that hang from baobab tree’s huge sparse branches. Crack open a pod & the white powdery fruit tastes like unsweetened lemon sherbet or IMHO Jif lemon juice. *Jif is a brand of natural strength lemon juice prepared using lemon juice concentrate & water. The fruit has the same taste as said unsweetened off course. The fruit from the baobab tree dries naturally before it falls, the baobab fruit also provides a lifeline for rural families in the drylands of Africa providing vital nutrients when there is not much else is available in the landscape. I have tried the actual fruit in the past. I found the local health food store started stocking packets of the baobab powder a few years ago, it does taste the very same as the actual fruit itself. I bought a sachet & carried a small plastic container in my rations last year & again this year during the winter months. I found this Ray Mears Bushcraft link as a demonstration of the uses of the baobab fruit powder https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2BAL3nekTk I would suggest if you haven't yet tried such, to go ahead as this could be an excellent supplement to carry in your EDC kit as a refreshing drink with medicinal properties & it's light weight. A little bit of Bushcraft flavour from the continent of Africa.
Regards
David

OakAshandThorn
16-02-2016, 09:35 PM
T^ I'd love to try that someday :cool:

David_JAFO
17-02-2016, 03:30 PM
hello,
It's pretty tart BTW :p for once it's description by Ray Mears does as it says on the tin. Usually bushtucker descriptions are way off but this ones spot on. It's a great addition to cooking as well. Now all we need to find now is packets of Witchetty grub.. :Sorry:
Regards
David

T^ I'd love to try that someday :cool:

FishyFolk
17-02-2016, 03:37 PM
All I have to do now is to go out in the snowy hills and find myself a baobab tree.

:jumping-joy:

(on a serious note, the wife is going home to Thailand in april to sort out my oldest stepsons army draft and visit family. He is to short to get past his physical test, so no danger of him being selected, but he has to show up or face two years in prison, and then compulsory army service. So better get that done.

Anyway, will ask for a samlple of thet baobab fruity stuff. She will fill the suitcase with native foods anyway....

David_JAFO
17-02-2016, 08:05 PM
hello,
Rune I live in the snowy wastelands of Scotland (close to Norway) :p I found myself a baobab tree.. in a packet. Aye I've heard they're pretty strict out there in Thailand lets hope that it goes in your lads favour then.
Regards
David

FishyFolk
17-02-2016, 08:58 PM
hello,
Rune I live in the snowy wastelands of Scotland (close to Norway) :p I found myself a baobab tree.. in a packet. Aye I've heard they're pretty strict out there in Thailand lets hope that it goes in your lads favour then.
Regards
David

As I said, no danger of him being drafted in, as he is bellow the required minimum height. He will just have to go there, do his physical testing and be written out of the system, so that he does not get into trouble with the authorities on later visits to his home land. :-)