PDA

View Full Version : Free flint for whoever wants it!

Woody
27-04-2016, 09:22 AM
I am selling this item as a private seller and this sale is in no way the responsibility of NaturalBushcraft.co.uk or any of its moderators. I promise to use this area to sell unwanted kit, not to repeatedly list similar items in the pursuit of profit.

I'm fortunate enough to live in a area abundant with chalk and flint.

As geology changes so much from county to county , and with so many people honing their primitive skills as part of their bushcraft journey,these are sometimes scarce...
(
A friend recommended I could post this thread as a way of keeping the forum generosity karma going, as he just gifted me and my son with lots of kit and wants nothing in return....)

If anyone is seeking flint but finding it difficult or too pricey , do let me know and I'll try my best to help.
I will offer as much flint for free as you want but within reason , as obviously I don't want to drain the county of its flint...:) lol... And to keep postage costs down.
Let me know what size nodules , and I'll do my best to find the required shapes/sizes etc.
The majority of the flint around here is dark grey to black , but I have seen some green and even brown stuff.

Feel free to PM me or just drop a line on here...

[emoji106]

Regards

Woody

UPDATE:
I DIDN'T REALISE HOW POPULAR THIS OFFER WOULD BECOME....
I HAVE ENOUGH REQUESTS FOR NOW, I CAN ONLY FIND SO MANY SUITABLE PIECES AT A TIME...
HAVING LITTLE SPARE TIME DOESNT HELP EITHER.

I WILL HONOUR ALL THE REQUESTS SO FAR, BUT ANY FURTHER REQUESTS WILL HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL NEXT TIME.

I WILL KEEP THIS GOING, AND ILL START TAKING REQUESTS AGAIN AFTER THIS FIRST LOT.

WATCH THIS SPACE, THANK YOU FOR YOUR PATIENCE AND UNDERSTANDING.

THANK YOU

David_JAFO
27-04-2016, 12:51 PM
hello,
Awesome Woody. This flint is the best from Wiltshire. I have in my possession some large nodules traded with Woody & Woody (junior) & it shews sparks no problem. Image of nodules alongside my Wolf Creek Forge (Lisa West) horses head steel striker.
Regards
David

David_JAFO
27-04-2016, 02:39 PM
hello,
Bump.. :p
Regards
David

shepherd
27-04-2016, 04:20 PM
awesome offer... great stuff buddy T^

Woody
27-04-2016, 05:42 PM
hello,
Bump..[emoji14]Regards
David
Thanks for the bump and pic.
Great stuff
[emoji106]

Woody
27-04-2016, 05:43 PM
awesome offer... great stuff buddy T^
Thanks bud
[emoji106]

tomfury
28-04-2016, 06:46 AM
Mornin' Woody

A big thank you from me for your most generous offer and what a great idea. I would love to take up your offer and will be guided by your recommendations as to sizes. It would be very interesting to see flint in its different colours if possible as you describe. Several pieces would be fine, just let me know the cost. As you may guess, I am a newcomer to anything flinty, not having used it before so any advice is welcomed. I have a small gas forge and some old files and intend to make firesteel strikers! What say you?

Tom.

Woody
28-04-2016, 07:13 AM
Mornin' Woody

A big thank you from me for your most generous offer and what a great idea. I would love to take up your offer and will be guided by your recommendations as to sizes. It would be very interesting to see flint in its different colours if possible as you describe. Several pieces would be fine, just let me know the cost. As you may guess, I am a newcomer to anything flinty, not having used it before so any advice is welcomed. I have a small gas forge and some old files and intend to make firesteel strikers! What say you?

Tom.

Good morning Tom.
I say yay!

No worries, PM me your address and I'll source out various bits of different colours and sizes at the weekend and post them out to you as soon as the box is full.

Flint will shew out sparks if it's stricken on its sharp edge with a good quality steel.

There's more folk on here that would be able to steer you in the right direction , on forging your own steel strikers.
I think the steel is better if rich in carbon, but how you go about doing that , is above my level of knowledge.
Just ask the question to the forum , lots of people will be keen to help you with that!

Here are a few links for more info on flint , knapping and fire striking....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0MaL89y5kIg

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wtfCj6oPh2s

http://www.eseeknives.com/flint-and-steel.pdf

I'll be in touch as soon as I got enough to send you...
Thank you

Regards

tomfury
28-04-2016, 09:04 AM
Hi Woody

Thanks for the links to vids and pdf-watched them-all very interesting-caveman is a real character isn't he? Can hardly wait to get knapping and striking-my forge is heating up as I type!!!

cheers

Tom.

Woody
28-04-2016, 09:16 AM
Hi Woody

Thanks for the links to vids and pdf-watched them-all very interesting-caveman is a real character isn't he? Can hardly wait to get knapping and striking-my forge is heating up as I type!!!

cheers

Tom.
Hi , yep.
Pm sent.

That guy is called Will Lord and he is an expert in ancient technology.
His website explains more.
http://www.will-lord.co.uk/will-lord-about.html

His dad is John Lord , who worked with National Heritage, ran the Ray Mears course on primitive technology + ancient skills and such.

http://www.flintknapping.co.uk/aboutus.html

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NsGx1bX5Xw4

This family has pretty much, single handedly, resurrected these skills in Britain, and enabled the opportunity for us to learn from them...
Scholars , Archaeology, Anthropology all turn to these guys when it comes to flint and ancient skills.

Very interesting!

[emoji106]

David_JAFO
28-04-2016, 10:21 AM
hello,
:welcome: to the forum Tom. I've received some flint nodules from Woody & they're awesome best of Wiltshire flint. I haven't been to Carmarthenshire for a wee while, I've got some friends who live down there. I've spent sometime travelling & walking around the area, it's a lovely part of South Wales BTW. forum member "Beermaker" made me a few awesome file steel strikers. I've used these since whilst teaching Bushcraft skills they shew sparks no problem in conjunction with flint & can be used as ferro rod strikers too.
Regards
David

Mornin' Woody
Tom.

tomfury
28-04-2016, 10:46 AM
Hi David

Thanks very much for your warm welcome. Looking forward to receiving some from him. In the 1980's I visited many parts of Wiltshire and surrounding English and welsh counties while driving in four wheel drive off road events but was not into bush craft at all then. So missed out on tons of flint no doubt although I drove over and through tons of it as well! Although I've live in carms for last 8 yrs i'm a scouse immigrant living and fishing the teifi valley near llandysul-where the canoe centre is. Theres a local BC group near me run by John Fenna that i'm involved in a bit but, as always we learn every day in every way and this site is no exception.

cheers

Tom.

tomfury
28-04-2016, 11:40 AM
Hi Woody

Thanks again, all very interesting. I agree. It is extremely important that all these skills and more are retained, practised and never forgotten. There may come a day when they are vital for humanity or for an individual. Long live bush crafting and bush crafters mate!!

Cheers

Tom.

Thumbcrusher
28-04-2016, 03:25 PM
Woody could i take you up on your very kind offer. I'm happy to have whatever flint you can offer as there's none hereabouts! I'm happy to cover postage. I'll PM you my address.T^

Woody
28-04-2016, 03:29 PM
Woody could i take you up on your very kind offer. I'm happy to have whatever flint you can offer as there's none hereabouts! I'm happy to cover postage. I'll PM you my address.T^
No worries Thumbcrusher.
I'll collect a load this weekend and get it posted asap.
It'll probably be after the bank holiday though...postage that is.
[emoji106]

David_JAFO
28-04-2016, 03:51 PM
hello Tom,
Awesome countryside in Carmarthenshire. I have a good idea where you are. A Scouser you'll fit in well there "soft lad" :p LMAO They're good people down there. Well enjoy your flint when it arrives worth every penny in postage.. :wink:
Regards
David

Hi David
Thanks very much for your warm welcome. Looking forward to receiving some from him. In the 1980's I visited many parts of Wiltshire and surrounding English and welsh counties while driving in four wheel drive off road events but was not into bush craft at all then. So missed out on tons of flint no doubt although I drove over and through tons of it as well! Although I've live in carms for last 8 yrs i'm a scouse immigrant living and fishing the teifi valley near llandysul-where the canoe centre is. Theres a local BC group near me run by John Fenna that i'm involved in a bit but, as always we learn every day in every way and this site is no exception.
cheers
Tom.

Woody
28-04-2016, 04:18 PM
David-JAFO :
That was a good idea.
Quite a few people interested !!!
Well done

:)

tomfury
28-04-2016, 06:20 PM
hello Tom,
Awesome countryside in Carmarthenshire. I have a good idea where you are. A Scouser you'll fit in well there "soft lad" :p LMAO They're good people down there. Well enjoy your flint when it arrives worth every penny in postage.. :wink:
Regards
David

cheers ta la

Tom. (calm down, calm down-cos de do do duvets der don't don't dee doh? OH I de do.)

David_JAFO
28-04-2016, 06:34 PM
hello,
Tom.. ROFLMAO. singing "Ferry across the Mersey.." :p
Regards
David
T^

cheers ta la Tom. (calm down, calm down-cos de do do duvets der don't don't dee doh? OH I de do.)

tomfury
28-04-2016, 06:48 PM
Gerry Marsden isn't a scouser. He's from Birkenhead. I'm a scouser from Garston.(three miles from the lennon abode.) As for music, I play guitar, proper guitar as in acoustic, loud in yer face, sing up or bugger off guitar. And I sing and play (in tune-instrument and voice) most of the worlds best groups' songs. Gerry puddle jumper Marsden can't do that to save his best(only)suit.

cheers bro

Tom.

steelezac
29-04-2016, 01:20 AM
Hi woody! I don't know if the offer ends at one person but if not, I would love to take you up on your offer also. Flint is scarce in Staffordshire and trying to hone skills with very little is pretty difficult! I am happy for any size really, it would be a great help.

All the best,
Zach.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Woody
29-04-2016, 07:24 AM
Hi woody! I don't know if the offer ends at one person but if not, I would love to take you up on your offer also. Flint is scarce in Staffordshire and trying to hone skills with very little is pretty difficult! I am happy for any size really, it would be a great help.

All the best,
Zach.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
No worries, PM on the way.

Woody
30-04-2016, 08:38 AM
Diviy:
Please check your PM.
Cheers

David_JAFO
30-04-2016, 10:18 AM
hello,
I like this guy.. :cool: LMAO.
Regards
David

Gerry Marsden isn't a scouser. He's from Birkenhead. I'm a scouser from Garston.(three miles from the lennon abode.) As for music, I play guitar, proper guitar as in acoustic, loud in yer face, sing up or bugger off guitar. And I sing and play (in tune-instrument and voice) most of the worlds best groups' songs. Gerry puddle jumper Marsden can't do that to save his best(only)suit.

cheers bro

Tom.

Woody
04-05-2016, 11:39 AM
@Tom Fury:
Hello mate, please delete some of your messages as my PM is not going through!
Sorry mate!
Also PayPal payment for postage not come through???
Check for mistakes, you might have paid somebody else by mistake or just not pressed send?
Either way, post on its way!
Cheers

tomfury
04-05-2016, 05:59 PM
All sorted Woody as you now know! inbox cleared too. an honest paypal customer hadn't accepted payment so I cancelled it and thanked him!
Will be all sparked up soon.

cheers

Tom.

David_JAFO
04-05-2016, 06:16 PM
hello,
Tom this flint is awesome stuff BTW.
Regards
David
T^

All sorted Woody as you now know! inbox cleared too. an honest paypal customer hadn't accepted payment so I cancelled it and thanked him!
cheers
Tom.

Woody
04-05-2016, 07:25 PM

cheers

Tom.
Thanks Tom, I knew you had made a mistake. Good job the recipient was honest.
Anyways as promised there's all sorts in the box. Different shapes and sizes and also different colours as you requested.
A particular one there , is immensely orange with purple rays inside...
Crazy stuff , I hit it just to see if it was flint and to my surprise it had all those colours!!
:-o

I tried all of these rocks with my son's Hudson bay steel striker , (the one that our friend David-JAFO sent him as a gift) and they all shew great sparks...
Hope you enjoy them , and if you need anyone to "test" your forged steel striker, then I'm happy to oblige. ;)

tomfury
04-05-2016, 07:55 PM
Hi Woody

Fantastic mate. the orangey purple stuff sounds absolutely awesome!! will be sure to play a few electric ladyland tracks when I light that one up!

Hope i don't start an unintentional fire anywhere in my eagerness. lol.

thanks buddy#
look out for a huge \/\/ O \/\/ on here in a couple of days

Tom

tomfury
04-05-2016, 07:59 PM
Lol David, pressed one wrong key to Woody and sent all the icbm's to north korea-oh well kim sing song no singy just singey!
Paid up member of the I can set fire to anything club now mate!

cheers

Tom.

Woody
04-05-2016, 08:34 PM
[emoji48] [emoji23]

David_JAFO
04-05-2016, 08:54 PM
hello,
Woody what's this "A particular one there , is immensely orange with purple rays inside..." :confused2: you been on the silly pop?? :p BTW that sounds interesting did you find it with the flint or somewhere else? It sounds like it could be Chert. I though we were onto Iron Pyrites (dinosaur blood) there for a moment & you were holding out on me.. ROFLMAO.
Regards
David
:Sorry:

Woody
04-05-2016, 08:58 PM
David , I will try and find another one of these... They are quite common here. They are yellowish/orange to brown in colour, but this one had what looked like crayon rays of purple inside it...
Might be chert?! Who knows...
You'll soon find out what it is... ;)

David_JAFO
05-05-2016, 06:15 PM
hello,
Woody if I think I know what your saying.. :confused2: I'll pay for it pocket money for the Woody jnr's mini Bushcrafters. :p
Regards
David

David , I will try and find another one of these... They are quite common here. They are yellowish/orange to brown in colour, but this one had what looked like crayon rays of purple inside it... Might be chert?! Who knows...You'll soon find out what it is... ;)

diviy
06-05-2016, 11:52 PM
Woody payment sent

Woody
07-05-2016, 12:07 AM
Woody payment sent
Thank you, PM sent .

Woody
19-05-2016, 08:16 PM
Bump...

Has everyone got their flint yet? Have I missed anyone out?
If you got it, let me know how it worked, any good?
What is the outcome?
What did you do or what are you doing with it?
Let us all know here please.

I've been too busy to get more , but hopefully I'll be able to send more out soon to anybody else who might want it...

[emoji3]

Cheers

Woody
01-11-2016, 10:32 PM
@steelezac
Mate, ive just realised I never sent you your bits of flint! PM inbound.

And if anyone needs anymore flint , feel free to add your name below and PM address.
Postage required , but open to trades instead....