PDA

View Full Version : My First Knife nearly finished

IBrown
16-03-2011, 07:48 PM
I have finished my knife kit a Karesuando Kniven. Not quite finished I have a week of oiling to do. I have decided to use Pure Tung Oil and it will take an age to get it how i want. I will show when done. Anyway the knife is complete with sheath.
http://thecraftycouple.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/nearly-finishedsmall.jpg

I have also done a Step by Step on my Blog in How To..

http://thecraftycouple.wordpress.com/how-to/make-your-own-knife-2/

Thanks
Ian

Fletching
16-03-2011, 08:02 PM
Cool! Lookin' good for a first attempt mate. Well impressed. :)

Steve

JEEP
16-03-2011, 08:21 PM
Very nice job!

luresalive
16-03-2011, 08:24 PM
Thats a very good job, and it's the same set I used when I made my first one, it's a great sense of accomplishment isn't it??

Kiltie
16-03-2011, 08:38 PM
Nice work Ian, a Scottish question if I may-how much ?
:o

IBrown
16-03-2011, 08:57 PM
Nice work Ian, a Scottish question if I may-how much ?
:o
The Kit was about £25

I bought mine from Springfields but most places sell them.
http://www.springfields.co.uk/bush-craft-field-kit/knives-multi-tools/Bushcraft-Knife-Components/?id=4734

Thanks for all the replies. I will be glad once the oil is applied and it is truely finished.

bigzee
16-03-2011, 09:07 PM
If that's the first knife, then we're expecting great things in the future!
Very interesting (and comfy looking) handle. What wood is that?

IBrown
16-03-2011, 09:10 PM
If that's the first knife, then we're expecting great things in the future!
Very interesting (and comfy looking) handle. What wood is that?

Thanks bigzee the wood in the kit is birch

bigzee
16-03-2011, 09:47 PM
Birch eh? I always said they should bring that back!

CanadianMike
17-03-2011, 12:34 AM
Very nice, making me want one now......

IBrown
17-03-2011, 07:14 AM
Birch eh? I always said they should bring that back!

Looks like cork at the moment and is very light. I like the colour and I hope the Tung Oil doesn't darken it to much but I want to protect the handle.

Kiltie
17-03-2011, 03:16 PM
Thanks for putting up the link Ian-thats a blerdy good price for a kit like that, that piece of birch could be sawn into smaller blocks and other materials (leather, other hardwoods and bone) threaded along the tang too, I think I'd have peened the tang at the pommel, nice work Ian

paul standley
17-03-2011, 06:24 PM
Hi Ian, Love the knife and I do Like the blog site, it's a nice idea and good to meet the family so to speak.... don't forget to give me a shout ahead of one of your welsh fishing trips and we could hook up for a day's fishing.

Paul.

IBrown
17-03-2011, 07:46 PM
Hi Ian, Love the knife and I do Like the blog site, it's a nice idea and good to meet the family so to speak.... don't forget to give me a shout ahead of one of your welsh fishing trips and we could hook up for a day's fishing.

Paul.

I was on the Mardy Beat of the USK last week to see if any hatches but it was to cold and windy for a good days fishing. I will be in Wales on the 11th April. If you fancy the Usk ( mardy beat ) I will be happy to meet up. PM me and I will give you details. IF not hope you are going to the Cornwall RV and I will meet up then.
Ian